Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 09:02 PM

436 posts, read 563,121 times

Advertisements

Transportation is more of a pain from Nassau and it's a more suburban county overall. If you come from Nassau you'd have to take a bus in Queens anyway, assuming you don't use an automobile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 09:34 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,273,101 times
I see apartments in old Howard beach on Craigslist for less than $1600. One in particular is $1500 with the option to add on a parking spot. You'd be walking distance to the airtrain to JFK. This would be the closest commute that I think you would be able to find. Street parking might not be all that bad since most homes have driveways and it isn't a high density area, but I don't know this by experience.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:51 PM
FB3 FB3 started this thread

10 posts, read 11,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I see apartments in old Howard beach on Craigslist for less than $1600. One in particular is $1500 with the option to add on a parking spot. You'd be walking distance to the airtrain to JFK. This would be the closest commute that I think you would be able to find. Street parking might not be all that bad since most homes have driveways and it isn't a high density area, but I don't know this by experience.
Sounds promising, is this considered a safe area?

Old 08-17-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Azure View Post
Transportation is more of a pain from Nassau and it's a more suburban county overall. If you come from Nassau you'd have to take a bus in Queens anyway, assuming you don't use an automobile.
Might be a better idea to use a car if it's from nassau. Any suggestions on which areas to look at?

Old 08-17-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB3 View Post
Yes. For what its worth, Howard Beach is probably one of the whitest neighborhoods in the city. Very Italian-American.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:52 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,064,271 times
Quote:
Well, I think crashpads are great for guys who are based in JFK/LGA and commute from other places, but I intend to move to NYC to avoid just that, so I'd like an apartment. Looks very unlikely that I'll be able to find a place with a garage or something. Know anything about Nassau? Thanks...
I was not suggesting you live in a crashpad apartment. I'm aware of what their purpose is, which is for airline employees to have a place to crash on the few nights they might be in NY.

I posted the link because I figured that if a crashpad location is in a certain neighborhood, more likely than not, that neighborhood will be convenient to the airport. And by following that logic, perhaps you might want to consider looking at apartments in neighborhoods where crashpad apartments are located, since they will probably be a good location for you to live if you're looking for a short commute to the airport.

But oh well, seems my suggestion was poorly understood or not useful.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I was not suggesting you live in a crashpad apartment. I'm aware of what their purpose is, which is for airline employees to have a place to crash on the few nights they might be in NY.

I posted the link because I figured that if a crashpad location is in a certain neighborhood, more likely than not, that neighborhood will be convenient to the airport. And by following that logic, perhaps you might want to consider looking at apartments in neighborhoods where crashpad apartments are located, since they will probably be a good location for you to live if you're looking for a short commute to the airport.

But oh well, seems my suggestion was poorly understood or not useful.
Gotcha, I'll look into that and see what I find! Good suggestion indeed!

Old 08-18-2013, 12:47 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,889,183 times
Quote:
I never have a hard time finding parking in Howard Beach, unlike most neighborhoods in the city. It isn't a very crowded area and most homes have driveways. And yes, it is a very safe area, easily the safest in Southern Queens.

Wish I could take that apartment.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Might be a better idea to use a car if it's from nassau. Any suggestions on which areas to look at?
Maybe valley stream?

Old 01-12-2015, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 445 times
I have an apartment with a garage available now. Its a two bedroom apartment with garage and its 15 minutes at most from JFK...if you are interested let me know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City