Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 11:37 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,652,318 times

Advertisements

The end of restaurant tipping? - MarketWatch
Quote:
A recent move by Sushi Yasuda, a high-end Japanese eatery in New York, to prohibit customers from leaving gratuities — the restaurant raised menu prices by roughly 15% to cover waitstaff salaries — is prompting discussion about whether the no-tip movement could reach, well, a tipping point.
I am not a frequent diner like many members here, so I raise the question. Will tipping tradition fade away under the wave of globalization?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 11:48 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,536,773 times
No, Yasuda is just emulating how resturants are like in Japan.

I think from a business standpoint both owners and waiters like tipping because its easy to not document or under report it for tax purposes.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:25 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
I WISH...but I think we are stuck with the stupid subsidy of restaurateurs.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:25 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,423,637 times
I think employers should PAY THIER EMPLOYEES instead of having the customer foot the bill. If I eat anywhere outside my neighborhood my dinner fee already includes RT subway fare and a tip PLUS the high cost of eating out.

I've worked in restaurants and I do appreciate a good tip but this is ridiculous.

If the japs add it into the menu pricing fine...I won't eat there.

TAXIS are another gripe. $60 to JFK and they want a hug tip on top of it. F That. I just paid you 1/3 of an airline ticket for a 30 minute ride. Sorry but not from me.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:29 PM
LI-

26 posts, read 33,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
The end of restaurant tipping? - MarketWatch

I am not a frequent diner like many members here, so I raise the question. Will tipping tradition fade away under the wave of globalization?
How is this the end of tipping? The owner raised the prices to include the tip. Now no matter what you are leaving a tip. He is the Bloomberg of Tipping.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:08 PM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I think employers should PAY THIER EMPLOYEES instead of having the customer foot the bill. If I eat anywhere outside my neighborhood my dinner fee already includes RT subway fare and a tip PLUS the high cost of eating out.

I've worked in restaurants and I do appreciate a good tip but this is ridiculous.

If the japs add it into the menu pricing fine...I won't eat there.

TAXIS are another gripe. $60 to JFK and they want a hug tip on top of it. F That. I just paid you 1/3 of an airline ticket for a 30 minute ride. Sorry but not from me.
I agree that employers should pay their employees fair wages rather than the consumer being obligated to pay tips to supplement low salaries in general.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:14 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I agree that employers should pay their employees fair wages rather than the consumer being obligated to pay tips to supplement low salaries in general.
The consumer will pay regardless in the form of higher prices.

Keep in mind also that in countries/cultures where tipping is not a custom, being a waiter/bartender/barista is seen as an honorable profession. And those countries typically have nationalized health insurance.

I have no issue paying food workers more, but it's not going to happen in a vacuum without the other parts of the equation.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:59 PM

34,001 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Any service related industry - I tip. That's the bottom line. People work hard man. If I receive crappy service, I leave a really crappy tip to make my point. But I always tip.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-21-2013, 06:29 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,576,804 times
I usually tip more than 15%. 15% to me means that they were doing the minimum. Normally I'm very happy with the service and leave ~20%. I think the fact tip is tied to quality of service is an incentive. If everyone got a flat 15% I think quality of service would suffer.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:17 PM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
The consumer will pay regardless in the form of higher prices.

Keep in mind also that in countries/cultures where tipping is not a custom, being a waiter/bartender/barista is seen as an honorable profession. And those countries typically have nationalized health insurance.

I have no issue paying food workers more, but it's not going to happen in a vacuum without the other parts of the equation.
I don't have a problem with the service included in the bill in advance if that is what you are referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City