Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 11:39 AM

50 posts, read 38,750 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am originally from Brooklyn and relocated to CA (where I live now) from north of Boston about 3 years ago. I have not been to the NYC in a number of years and though much of my family still lives in Brooklyn, I would go visit here and there for the weekend. My baby is growing up! She would like to go "home" for college, in NYC.

Comparing short-term vacation rental apartments (on Craigslist.org) seem like a MUCH better deal than staying in a hotel, especially with the kitchen to save on food and some with laundry in apt or building so we can pack light.

But I am not as familiar with Manhattan and that is where the colleges are and where we would like to stay. Can anyone provide insight on which neighborhoods would be safer, if it matters, for 2 - maybe 3 people, for about 1.5 weeks, beginning of October, within walking distance of train station/subway, maybe some restaurants near by, somewhat affordable. To give you an idea, I saw several which were $50-80 a night, with hotels just over $100.00 a night. Also, maybe we can walk or jog to central park?

Or perhaps some areas I should stay out of

Please provide any other details that you think might be helpful.

Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 11:43 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,297 times
Airbnb

Old 08-21-2013, 03:49 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
$50 to $80 a night? For Manhattan? That is way too low. Something is wrong. Craigslist is full of scams.

Most of Manhattan is safe. As a tourist I would probably stay below 110th street on the west side and below 90th on the East side. Also I would probably avoid the far east part of Lower East Side.

If you want a lower priced hotel, try looking in Long Island City, Queens. There are many new hotels there and it's just a short subway train to Manhattan.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:56 PM

The very first vacation per-night rental I looked at on NY craigslist is a scam/lie. Here is the ad
Suites Large 1 Bedroom/1 Bath + Private Terrace in Manhattan (" $70 / 1br - Suites Large 1 Bedroom/1 Bath + Private Terrace in Manhattan (SoHo)"

$70 a night, great deal... right? Wrong. Here is the SAME EXACT PROPERTY on a website being offered at $260 a night, which may or may not even be the real price. Also, where is the terrace that was promised in the craigslist ad????
Rustic and minimalist home mixes abstract art and vintage finds Reviews - New York City, United States

Old 08-21-2013, 04:01 PM

And even though I can't prove it, this one must be a scam too. SUPERLACIOUS ONE BEDROOM APARTMENT CENTRE OF TM SQUARE

Its says the entire apartment is $70 per night. Middle of Manhattan. Well, just do the math. That only adds up to $2100 per month for the fully furnished apartment ($70 * 30 days). This is well below market rent for an apartment like that. And vacation properties should cost more than market rentals because of cleaning fees, etc.

If it's too good to be true, it is.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:05 PM

Just one more. I am on a roll. This one-- the "2 bedroom apartment in Chelsea for $100 a night" RELIANCE AND RELIABLE COMFORT TWO BEDROOM APARTMENT

is actually an apartment in Vancouver, Canada! First Eco-Friendly Condo - Vancouver Furnished Apartments - Vancouver - Houses - Apartments for Sale

So basically these scam artists are just stealing photos from listings across the world and posting them up as scams/lies in the NY craigslist

Old 08-21-2013, 04:23 PM

268 posts, read 480,925 times
This may help a bit.. Although, the article is about a year old.

http://frugaltraveler.blogs.nytimes....less/?hpw&_r=0

Old 08-21-2013, 10:02 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
And even though I can't prove it, this one must be a scam too. SUPERLACIOUS ONE BEDROOM APARTMENT CENTRE OF TM SQUARE

Its says the entire apartment is $70 per night. Middle of Manhattan. Well, just do the math. That only adds up to $2100 per month for the fully furnished apartment ($70 * 30 days). This is well below market rent for an apartment like that. And vacation properties should cost more than market rentals because of cleaning fees, etc.

If it's too good to be true, it is.
Apparently the middle of manhattan is also the middle of toronto?

STYLISH FURNISHED APT- WATER SUITE PKG- TorontoStays.com - Toronto - Houses - Apartments for Rent - Downtown Core - community apartment toronto

Old 08-22-2013, 05:44 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Just for fun, I e-mailed one of these since they are all posted by the person. When I asked where the apartment is, this is the answer I got:

Located in Chelsea on 86th street. When do you want to rent and where are you coming from?.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:36 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
Short-term apartment rentals are illegal in New York. People still do it, but it has to be very under-the-table, which leads to a lot of scams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City