Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 12:02 PM

329 posts, read 679,948 times

Advertisements

That is pretty strange. But NYCHA is pretty slow. I would contact the chairman's office you can do it via email.

@MobBarley that comment was uncalled for. I live in NYCHA and its not by choice its because the city has outpriced the middle class. I have an education and make a middle income ($80,000's) and I can't afford an apartment that is across the street from NYCHA. Perhaps there are people who take advantage. But not everyone does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 12:34 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,196,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanting_to_move View Post
That is pretty strange. But NYCHA is pretty slow. I would contact the chairman's office you can do it via email.

@MobBarley that comment was uncalled for. I live in NYCHA and its not by choice its because the city has outpriced the middle class. I have an education and make a middle income ($80,000's) and I can't afford an apartment that is across the street from NYCHA. Perhaps there are people who take advantage. But not everyone does.
Really cause I make about 1/3 of what you make and I can afford a nice 1 bedroom apartment at market rate price.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Really cause I make about 1/3 of what you make and I can afford a nice 1 bedroom apartment at market rate price.
livingsinglenyc, where do you live and how much do you pay a month? I'm looking for a place right now but it just seems extremely unaffordable, all the places I've seen are either too far from the subway, are extremely inconvenient for travel, or are way out of my price range.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:33 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,196,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krair View Post
livingsinglenyc, where do you live and how much do you pay a month? I'm looking for a place right now but it just seems extremely unaffordable, all the places I've seen are either too far from the subway, are extremely inconvenient for travel, or are way out of my price range.
I live in the Bronx

Old 10-21-2013, 01:21 PM

163 posts, read 483,635 times
Quote:

Oh Wow!! and you qualify for NYCHA with that income, Great!

Old 10-21-2013, 04:08 PM

268 posts, read 479,970 times
Quote:

You make $80k and cant afford an apartment on your own???? That's ridiculous... and not to mention that it's downright shameful that you're still leaching off the govt when you have an income of mid $80k.

Let me guess... you have $100k in credit card debt.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:41 AM

329 posts, read 679,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobBarley View Post
You make $80k and cant afford an apartment on your own???? That's ridiculous... and not to mention that it's downright shameful that you're still leaching off the govt when you have an income of mid $80k.

Let me guess... you have $100k in credit card debt.
@MobBarley
Before you assume know that facts!
I do make $80K. Now lets' break it down! That only means that I'm clearing about $53K
I am paying for my own education at $550 a month/$6600 a year for Student loans. So that's $46K
I do have to live someone where right? Rent is $16K per year so that leaves $30K
Ok $ 30K sounds good right?! Well I still have to buy food, Pay for medical, Train Fare and Utilities.
I have a child with a Learning Disability that the BOE does not have a school that can support all her needs so I have to pay for a private school. So really is $ 80K enough don't forget the people around me are paying less $ 500 get free medical and food stamps I"m paying all of that with Cash. So before you want to make assumptions please walk in my shoes.

This forum is not to bash people it's a place where people ask for help and share ideas.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:53 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,034,390 times
Also, please explain to these people that you're paying 30% of your income in rent. People act like the pjs is a free ride and it's not.

Flat Rent Schedule - NYCHA

Quote:
@MobBarley
Before you assume know that facts!
I do make $80K. Now lets' break it down! That only means that I'm clearing about $53K
I am paying for my own education at $550 a month/$6600 a year for Student loans. So that's $46K
I do have to live someone where right? Rent is $16K per year so that leaves $30K
Ok $ 30K sounds good right?! Well I still have to buy food, Pay for medical, Train Fare and Utilities.
I have a child with a Learning Disability that the BOE does not have a school that can support all her needs so I have to pay for a private school. So really is $ 80K enough don't forget the people around me are paying less $ 500 get free medical and food stamps I"m paying all of that with Cash. So before you want to make assumptions please walk in my shoes.

This forum is not to bash people it's a place where people ask for help and share ideas.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:19 PM

13,439 posts, read 15,382,324 times
Wanting_to_Move, not wanting to pile on here, but seriously, NYCHA is the last place I'd suggest for you and your child(ren). Most of the developments are black holes. Many of the residents are not particularly upwardly mobile and there's lots of crime. For me, I'd rather eat ramen and bite the bullet and pay $1400 for a place in a lower crime area. I owe it to my kids to raise them in places where they will have a better shot at life and not get sucked into the poverty mentality that permeates the NYCHA developments. Back in the day, the projects were for the working and lower middle classed, and you could raise kids there. Today, not so much.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:24 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,328,299 times
If you earn mid $80s in this city, even with a special child, you can easily afford a 2 bedroom market rate apt. If you are willing to live in NYCHA housing, you can afford any one of the $1,250-$1,400 a month 2 bedroom apts you will find in lots of areas in the Bronx, BK, and even Queens.

The only difference is that NYCHA includes utilities. However, you will likely liver better in any of the other $1,250-$1,400 rentals outside of NYCHA. That being said, if she qualifies for an apt, then who cares. It only means that NYCHA is changing its focus from simply the housing of last resort of the destitute, criminals, and homeless, to working/middle class residents. It's a plus, even if some people are annoyed that you can earn mid $80s income and still qualify for subsidized housing...it does sound unusual but I am all for working/middle class tenants to re-enter NYCHA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City