Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:58 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,202,498 times

Advertisements

Few years back wife went "upstate" apple-picking, ran into Uma Thurman who was also apple-picking. Riding the bike a couple of years back, limo door opens, I almost slammed it, bodyguard comes out, then Shakira follows (Park Ave, 82nd St). The other night, daughter tells me she ran into Cameron Diaz and Drew Barrymore, smoking outside, at corner of 82nd and Park. Al Roker lives down the street (82nd St, between Lex and 3rd), see him often. Madonna just bought 2 brownstones and joined them, one street over (81st St, between Lex and 3rd also). Saw her come out of a limo a few months back, while I was driving around looking for a spot. Robert DeNiro walked the Building with us (developer, Construction Super and myself) when we were renovating 823 Park Avenue (75th St).

Saw Walt Frazer crossed my street (East 82nd) some time ago. My FIL, 5'2" ran into Shaq several years ago on 125th St. Saw Tom Hanks walk into his Building too. He lives on 5th Ave and 75/76th St. A few year back, wife pulls my arm and tells me Cindy Crawford rode in the elevator with us (somewhere on the UES) going to the doctor. I didn't notice her. She looked plain. Wife's former OB-GYN (88th st and Lex) was Mariah's doctor. Doctor would cancel all visits on the days Mariah went.

Best of all, a few year back Barcelona soccer players (Ronaldinho, Messi) invaded the Great Lawn and got yelled at by some NYers who were playing softball. In true NY style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 12:14 AM

575 posts, read 671,921 times
Spike Lee lives in the Upper East Side. I was going to put his address all over the internet when he posted what he said was George Zimmerman's address but it was not the correct one.

But he apologized and probably paid them a chunk of change for his goof, so I didn't follow thru. Emotions were running wild at the time but it was an idiot move on his part. Why does that not surprise me.

On Howard a year or so ago, JayZ said he lives in Tribeca. Another genius in the common sense category. I may dig up his address and post it just for the heck of it.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:23 AM

9,753 posts, read 7,459,162 times
UWS, UES, SoHo, Greenwich Village are the main hot spots, but their pretty much all over the city.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:30 PM

518 posts, read 825,351 times
Speaking of dead celebrities, I saw Jackie O. Kennedy back in the early 80's on Madison in the lower 80's about 10 in the morning. She was walking all by herself wearing a tan raincoat and eating what looked like a croissant. And...JFK jr coming out of Russian Tea Room in early 90's with young lady who was not his future wife. Paparazzi appears from nowhere with flash going like crazy while he chats with lady on sidewalk. Looking like he'd been through it many times, he turned from the camera and they walked away with heads tucked down. No Alec Baldwin he.

Also Truman Capote about 1979 coming out of 860 UN Plaza and getting into a Checker. He was so small that he barely stooped to get into the cab.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:11 AM

290 posts, read 688,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
That captures it.
New Yorkers know how to BEHAVE. How we got the reputation for rudeness is beyond me. Perhaps it's sour grapes from the rest of the world.
lmao.. I'm sorry, I know it's off topic, but I saw this and had to say something. You can't be serious though, this has to be sarcastic?? Why do NYers have a reputation for rudeness..? Oh I dunno, maybe the fact that any big mafioso story or person (which has the perception of being ruthless) comes from NY, and everybody seems to have a connection to the mob somehow (in movies at least..lol)..any time I ride the subway everyone runs to the door with a rude, "me first" mentality, and no one will make eye contact with you, let alone start a conversation..it seems everyone is this close to starting a fight with someone because they think they're so tough (I went to my first yankees game and literally after being there for 15 min, 2 guys got kicked out for fighting)..and lastly, the millisecond that just passed as the light turns green & I haven't pressed the gas, is it really necessary to lay on your horn for 13 seconds?? Just saying. As for the point of NYers just passing by a celebrity without saying anything, I think it's more so because most in Manhattan are so conceited they don't see past themselves anyways.

If you want true class, head down to Charleston, SC. Went there for a few days earlier this year, and I don't think I've ever heard so many please & thank yous. True southern hospitality.

Now I will say, once you do get to know many people here and conversate with them, they're great people just like anywhere else..but again, I'm referring to that initial perception or a reputation as mentioned that is just initially in place.

Oh, and I haven't seen any celebrities in my short time here yet! :-( I did just past by an area in my neighborhood in Forest Hills the other night where they were filming for the show Elementary with Lucy Liu..I didn't get to see her though. :-(

Old 08-30-2013, 10:59 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,150 times
One thing I love about NYC is, for the most part, people don't care if celebrities are present. Of course, there are a few who will scream, cry, or make it obvious in some way that a celebrity is amongst them. But for the most part, we new yorkers DONT CARE.

And I love that!

Definitely the paparazzi isn't as aggressive here as they are in California or other state.

I wonder why the issue isn't as prevalent here? I have a feeling it's b/c most new yorkers have busy lives and really dont' care to obsess over celebrities...but, I could be wrong.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:27 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,141 times
I once saw "snoop dogg" in times square. There was this huge croud of people taking pictures and so i got curious and decided to check out what was up. I couldn't get a good look so I asked people. They said it was snoop dogg. So I was like "oh, cool". Then I got a good line of sight... it was snoop dogg. It was some dude that looked like him that everyone thought was him.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:32 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
No, nobody lives in Brooklyn...Barbra Stresand was the last and she made a run for it.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:15 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,202,498 times
Here is a map NYC Celebrity Star Map 2013 | Where Celebrities Live in New York City

Old 08-30-2013, 08:21 PM

518 posts, read 825,351 times
I actually got to say hello to one of the dead ones, Norman Mailer in 1969 when he ran for mayor and rented a decrepit hall for an alleged fund raiser on 9th street in Park Slope. I say alleged fund raiser because for the $2 admission one could drink unlimited beer, a bargain even at 1969 prices.
Mailer arrived late with bulging, watery eyes. Obviously he had a half a bag on but was very polite. I don't remember any speech, just him moving about the room and saying hello as we drank his beer. Quinn should try one of these.
Then he was gone, perhaps to another party or maybe to sleep it off in Brooklyn Heights where he lived for half a century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City