U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 01:23 PM

467 posts, read 1,108,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Have all people in NYC been a victim of crime at some point or another in their lives? I live in Rapid City, South Dakota so crime is kind of an unknown phenomena that we only see on TV!

Have you ever been shot, stabbed, raped, mugged, beaten, etc.?

If so, why do you put up with it? Why not move to a cleaner, quieter place where people treat each other with respect? Do you get depressed living in a city where you see a million people per day and you do not know anyone?!

What is it like?

I might see a million people a day, but I know many people!!! I know the people who work in the local stores by my apt and where I work. Plus, all my friends...Also, I run into people all the time. It's funny even though this city is so big, you run into people you know everywhere!!

I've never been mugged or anything. I have had my car windows smashed into, and phone stolen (because I stupidly left my phone in the console!).

I love it here, and do not get depressed because I live in NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 03:25 PM

5,056 posts, read 11,173,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylow View Post
if chicago, la, or any of these places had da population of nyc it becomes harder to kill and not get caught with 27000 people per square mile. i now reside in charleston, sc. ranked as one of the worst cities. it cant compare to the bronx. nyc is on another level wen it comes to crime. i remember the bronx with 600 murders by itself and i saw bodies on a regular bases. lets not talk bout crooklyn
Yeah...not to mention the amount of police here. People hear that safest big city **** and they let their guard down. And at it's peak the Bronx had closer to 700 homicides alone.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:45 AM

841 posts, read 2,996,262 times
Back in the 90's, my family was the victim of many crimes. Which was why we moved a lot.

Home invasion, car thefts, store thefts, arson, racially motivated fights, and one time a drunk driver drove his van into our dining room when I was sitting on my mothers lap. Thank God no one died.

But it got a lot better since 2002

Old 10-12-2008, 09:46 PM

27 posts, read 36,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Detriot:
Population: 871,121
2006 Murders: 418
Murders per 100,000: 47.3

Philadelphia, PA
Population: 1,448,394
2006 Murders: 406
Murders per 100,000: 27.7

Bronx 43rd Precinct (Soundview)
Population: 167,663
2006 Murders: 12

Murders per 100,000: 7.15
Im from philly and I can say philly is a more dangerous city than NY, people in NY are much nicer overall.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:30 PM

784 posts, read 1,504,023 times
One important thing to note is that big cities like NY are also crooked. How many murders will get reduced to manslaughter. How many not even counted. How many violent crimes in NY not counted at all, hidden to make the city appear safer which helps economically in the long run. By the way Natoli or Natowli, I cant remember how it is spelled. It is obvious you've never been to NY to really see for yourself. I would walk in any part of your city at any time of night and I am sure I would not be scared. We could drop you off in certain parts of Brooklyn at 2:30 in the morning on a sunday and it will be the worst thing you have ever seen. You will see gangsters and drug dealers crowded on the block and trust me you would be afraid to even look their way let alone get out of the car. The problem with people from these little hick towns is that they have never been in a real city, especially one the size of New York. This city doesn't sleep and the ghetto never dies, whereas in little Rapid City the one block ghetto probably starts after five pm and goes til seven if even that. Thats probable giving your city too much credit. Trust me its easier to sit there and think your city is really bad because you have never seen bad. Even those who live in NY have not seen the worst of it, but trust me they understand violence..

Old 11-24-2008, 08:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,494 times
This may be hard to understand. If every borough in NYC was the size of Brooklyn, and had the crime of Hunts Point (in 1990) in every neighborhood, NYC would be the "most dangerous" city in the United States. Yes, that is how crime filled Hunts Point is. I know from my experiences there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City