Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 08:48 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,983,652 times

Advertisements

[Well, I've spent two weeks in NYC

Yes, you definitely need to spend much more time there. Other cities don't compare in the same way.

You have to have your wits about you

That's what I mean by being sheltered. Its a streetwise thing that certainly people in Mpls do not have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 08:54 AM

63 posts, read 430,287 times
NYC has a high amount of crime.
It just doesn't get reported because of the "Stop Snitching" thing. So the city looks good to outsiders but it's still just as dangerous to those who are actually there.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:11 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
I'm 26, and knock on wood nothing major has ever happened to me and I've lived in some pretty bad areas of NYC. A few dustups in school, got jumped a few times, and a bullet came into our apartment once. But that's been it. Nothing has happened to my immediate family either. Knock on wood.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:49 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,658,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StriderMatic View Post
NYC has a high amount of crime.
It just doesn't get reported because of the "Stop Snitching" thing. So the city looks good to outsiders but it's still just as dangerous to those who are actually there.
This sounds like something you heard on TV and are repeating to try and sound knowledgeable. I see from your previous posts, you are located from "all around the midwest", so how would you know?

I feel a million times safer in NYC than I did on a business trip to Cleveland last month.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:19 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,632,267 times
Nothing major has happend to me on both sides of the Hudson (Thank you, God) I've been in fights before (who hasn't?) got jumped once in 5th grade. I heard gunshots on the Northside of Paterson, NJ. Almost saw a couple of fights on the subway. Other than that, nothing major.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:54 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,497,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
You live in Scarsdale... not exactly a rough town! Where are you seeing all of this action?

I lived in Bushwick for a while, in the late 90's, and never had a problem. The only crime I've seen was a beatdown happening in the back of a car in Manhattan a few years ago.
Mainly in the Bronx. A couple muggings uptown and in Brooklyn. I can't really remember it all, exactly.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
per capita it does.
Yeah, but per capita comparisons of NYC to Rapid City are kind of unfair. I'd much rather be on Rapid City's bad side than in Soundview at night.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:24 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,658,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Yeah, but per capita comparisons of NYC to Rapid City are kind of unfair. I'd much rather be on Rapid City's bad side than in Soundview at night.
No, they're scientifically correct. Per Person, you have a higher chance of being a victim of crime in Rapid City than you do in New York City.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:38 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
You might be robbed and attack in Soudview if you walk every single night, that might hapenned actually (in soundview, it ain't pretty), but if you do the same in a bad neighborhood in Rapid City your chances are much greater. That is per capita for you.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:20 PM

Yeah, but Rapid City is so small that there's really not that many psychopaths. If one nutcase killed somebody in a small Kansas town, that murder rate would probably be higher than NYC, but it doesn't mean I'd be safer in NYC. Same rule for RC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City