U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-16-2007, 08:16 PM

10,526 posts, read 10,900,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
REMEMBER:

These statistics are all REPORTED crimes. I am sure that many crimes go unreported in New York while most every crime that happens in Rapid City ends up on the front page of the newspaper.

Rape is reported constantly in Rapid City while in New York many rapes probably go unreported.

Also, in 2000 there was 1 murder in Rapid City. In New York, there were 673. New York is also surrounded by many large towns where crime is rampant. Rapid City is surrounded by mountains, forest, and ranches.

Who seems safer? REALLY?
Please, you've already showed your bias in this thread, you just wanted to stir the pot. Statistically, New York is safer. End of story. I'm starting to doubt you've actually been to New York.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 08:26 PM

3,940 posts, read 9,443,191 times
I'm not stirring the pot. I'm just trying to prove an obvious point. A small midwestern town of 80,000 is much safer to live in than a city of 8 million. Besides, you're the one who is arguing with other members and turn my original post into a debate.

Maybe the pot's calling the kettle black?

AGH! New Yorkers! Have they ever even seen dirt?

Old 11-16-2007, 09:37 PM

1,134 posts, read 53,736 times
Have they ever!

Old 11-17-2007, 01:50 AM

500 posts, read 2,081,568 times
"A small midwestern town of 80,000 is much safer to live in than a city of 8 million"

Danny Bannanny,

You don't have a clue. It is well known that crime in the USA is growing in small and medium-sized cities all over the Midwest, while it decreases in metropolis such as New York and Los Angeles.

If you live in Minneapolis, St Louis or Kansas City (or Las Vegas or Phoenix or Tucson or Dallas, or whatever 80,000-people town you choose), you're much more likely to be a victim of a crime than if you live in NYC or LA.

But anyhow you came here from Rape-a-City to pick at peaceful-and-safe NYC based in what you see in TV or something. And you won't change your mind.

I say, whatever. You all get a life and leave us alone.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:16 AM

706 posts, read 2,423,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
I'll do you one better... I was taking the subway to the office during rush hour and the man sitting by where I was standing got up to get off the train. I turned to sit and this thug pushed me out of the way and grabbed the seat. The man made a comment about what an a**hole he was so the thug jumped up and got in his face... so I sat in the seat. As soon as he saw me sit in his seat he grabbed me by the hair and tried dragging me out of the seat. He had a fold-up umbrella which he started smacking me in the face with. Only one man came to my defense, and then the thug started beating on him too. I can't fight my way out of a paper bag, but I sure was going to give it my best shot. Two stations later a cop got on and dragged him off. I arrived at work that morning with a black eye, a bloody nose, a fat lip, and blood on the front of my dress, but I felt okay just knowing that the thug had the imprint of my knee in his gonads.

*lol*...I'm sorry, but can I laugh now since you survived and it was in the past?

It creates a very comical image for me.

Definitely not that you got beat up but

the thug gets up to kick the man's butt and you figure you'll just
hop on in the seat and watch the fight?

That is funny as hell to me.

It would have been obvious to most people that the guy had a problem and when he got in the man's face, they would have backed up expecting trouble

Anyway...*wiping tears*

(I apologize, really I do...*lol*)

There are many people in NY and very many who have not been victims of any serious crimes.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:19 AM

706 posts, read 2,423,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Catching a beating was a rite of passage growing up. The best beating I ever caught was in 1990 when I was 14. It was a completely random racial beating something that happened everyday back then, but the only beating you will hear about from that era is the Howard Beach incident.

It went down like this; I was playing handball after school at the park and left late. I caught the Q27 to head home from high school sometime around 5PM, the bus was packed. every seat taken with straphangers too. I was by myself in the back of the bus when 2 older black kids caught me by surprise. They had the bus stopped with the back door open when they quickly turned around and dropped a metal studded brass knuckle bomb right into my nose. That much force to the nose really gets the adrenalin flowing and there is little pain. In the ensuing scrap I stepped up and wrestled the sucker puncher to the steps and he ran off.

In the aftermath I was left on the crowded bus with a broken nose and blood flowing like a siv. The bus kept rolling, nobody batted an eye. Some old lady gave me a Kleenex for the blood, other than that, nobody helped or cared.
There have been several Howard Beach incidents, two, I can think of, of which resulted in the death of innocent people.

If I'm not mistaken, the one you're referring to was the murder of a teen.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:29 AM

2,775 posts, read 8,419,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
This is what I am curious about. If you are 17 and from Scarsdale, how are you seeing shootings, mugging and robberies... when you don't even live in the city?
How many times do I have to say this? I work in the Bronx and regularly go into the city. God, I have a driver’s license and I’m a very short drive from NYC… What should I do with my teenage time? Tough one…

Old 11-17-2007, 08:52 AM

10,526 posts, read 10,900,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
How many times do I have to say this? I work in the Bronx and regularly go into the city. God, I have a driver’s license and I’m a very short drive from NYC… What should I do with my teenage time? Tough one…
Do you work in the Soundview projects? I'd be more concerned with parents letting a 17 year old hang out in the projects, work or no work.

I lived in a sketchy BK neighboorhood, and also have been going to the city every weekend since I was about 18 (10 years). I have never seen a shooting or any of the things you mention. I'm questioning how you would see so much violence at a young age, not even living in the city, when no one else really has.

Last edited by newtoli; 11-17-2007 at 10:10 AM..

Old 11-17-2007, 09:16 AM

974 posts, read 2,385,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I have been to the bronx plenty of times, how come I never witness all the stuff that you witness? Is it possible that you work with the police? Then ofcourse it is obvious that you see more crime than a regular person. You know that is what police do, follow crime. Maybe if you worked with the RC police you will see way more stuff happening. Since is a smaller place with higher crime.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:19 AM

3,940 posts, read 9,443,191 times
Oh yes! I bet that while New York cops are having their Christmas Party and sipping Egg Nog, Rapid City cops are chasing burglars and geeting shot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City