Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 01:13 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,666,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused247 View Post
Seriously, I see unattractive (overweight/below average face) women getting cold approached constantly. Even by good looking men! Alot of them have the nerve to develop an attitude when someone "ugly" approaches them. Wtf.. Both my unattractive and attractive friends tell me similar stories about what men do for them. So i'm confused, how does a woman know she's truly attractive looking in NYC?
What you're seeing is street harassment. It has nothing to do with attractiveness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 01:38 PM

18,841 posts, read 13,725,226 times
Quote:
It's funny how men always take this route lol. I guess only unattractive women post threads similar to mine? There's no need to post a picture on this forum. Although, I do have many pictures online. Since my job requires me to stay in shape and be pretty... it's safe to say your wrong!
I have no clue what your job is. I'm not inclined to believe you about anything based on your posts this thread. I'm with Ohiogirl: peaked in high school.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:07 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,932,209 times
Quote:
I was using their looks as an example. I'm not going to post pictures of ordinary NYC women on here to drive my point. That's invasive and unnecessary. Again, I don't care that men approach unattractive women. It just bothers me that these ugly broads think they're on the same level as an actual hottie. That's all. I don't understand why anyone would take offense. If a women is overweight and pretty.. I'm not questioning them. I'm questioning the ones who are overweight and have a below average face.
You really should not let things like unattractive women being with attractive men bother you! Maybe that woman with an unattractive face and body might be a freak in the sheets, and probably takes it up the pooper with ease and no hassle. Quite frankly women from NYC are pretty raunchy! Not sure about west coast women unless Evasive Angels pays you ladies something to do something raunchy!

Quote:
So an overweight, below averaged faced woman is considered pretty? Thank you for clarifying. I guess my question has been answered.
You see for some, especially here in NYC genuine goes a long way for some. For some women here in NYC and even for some men beauty goes skin deep. Some women here may not look pretty on the inside but may feel pretty within. As for unattractive women thinking they are pretty, don't blame the women but blame the men who say, god bless you ma, or ma you sexy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Lol, NYers love phonies? I think you've got it backwards. There's a reason the saying exists 'They could see through you in a NY minute'. Phony is the smiley, condescending attitude prevalent in the South. That syrupy, sappy 'Hi, how ARE you today?' which seems to be thinly veiling frustration and apathy. Now THAT'S phony. And if you don't like pale skin that's you're preference. I would rather have fair skin then tan it up and look like a piece of chewed up leather by the time I'm 40 lol
There are phonies all over the place. Some phonies do a great job exploiting the masses and remain incognito and be loved while others can be smelt from miles away including here in NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
What you're seeing is street harassment. It has nothing to do with attractiveness.
LOL. That's a classic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I have to disagree with you there. I haven't known people to be that superficial. I really think those are your experiences.

You mentioned pale skin. For me personally that is not a deal breaker. It really sounds as though you're not comfortable in your own skin.

I could be different. I'm from the Midwest, where pale skin is not unusual, and people wouldn't have as much of a tan in the winter. But the women I've encountered from New York were easy to get along with. That's why I'm not entirely convinced its all about your looks.
Where did you meet these NYC women? I see that you have Norfolk Virgina as your location, I know in the NOVA and DC area is dwarfed with Transplanted New Yorkers who work for Feds and support businesses and so forth and plenty of New Yorkers when they graduate from college do go to DC looking for work and have transient mentalities. Did you encounter women from NYC or did you encounter NYC women while in NYC?

Old 08-31-2013, 08:05 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,207,073 times
Since you mentioned Evasive Angels, i might be putting together my own entertaiment company. That would require a move to California though. The first title will be called Steel Town Girls On Bikes. It's in line with todays Zeitgeist and features two sisters called Brunette and Blonde originally from the post industrial rustbelt who runs into financial distress in the Ocean Hill section of Brooklyn. Now if i could just get a seal of approval on the DVD cover from no less than John Stagliano himself!

Old 09-01-2013, 05:38 PM

51 posts, read 165,775 times
So women generally agree random people trying to talk to you on the streets is a turn off and never works, but how are we supposed to ever talk to you?

Can I get opinions from you ladies that think this...where do you feel comfortable with guys actually approaching you.

Oh and by the way I am not a sleesy kind of guy. I don't whistle at women, throw degrading remarks, and to be honest rarely approach women in public because most of them act like they want to kill you if you say anything...which I get because to many men push up on them all day

Old 09-01-2013, 07:24 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,556,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon124 View Post
So women generally agree random people trying to talk to you on the streets is a turn off and never works, but how are we supposed to ever talk to you?

Can I get opinions from you ladies that think this...where do you feel comfortable with guys actually approaching you.

Oh and by the way I am not a sleesy kind of guy. I don't whistle at women, throw degrading remarks, and to be honest rarely approach women in public because most of them act like they want to kill you if you say anything...which I get because to many men push up on them all day
There are two VERY different kinds of approaches by men. Catcalls and a genuine hello are entirely separate categories. If a man I found attractive approaches me and asks me out for coffee and chat I may possibly say yes. But too often it sounds scripted, like it's been used a million times before and I'm just the next one in line. If a guy seems truly into me, and he is relatively good looking I wouldn't turn a cold shoulder. I'm more comfortable with being approached at a store, restaurant, whatever as opposed to the street. I think many women would agree with me that is a bit much.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:

Same here. But to be honest your better off being good looking and trying to whistle at women compared to being average and sleazy looking and trying to say hello to a woman on the streets of NYC, you might just come off as a creep compared to an attractive guy who whistles who might be a jerk or an A hole. Nobody wants be with a man that looks like a creep but hey plenty of women here date A holes and Jerks.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:26 PM

51 posts, read 165,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
There are two VERY different kinds of approaches by men. Catcalls and a genuine hello are entirely separate categories. If a man I found attractive approaches me and asks me out for coffee and chat I may possibly say yes. But too often it sounds scripted, like it's been used a million times before and I'm just the next one in line. If a guy seems truly into me, and he is relatively good looking I wouldn't turn a cold shoulder. I'm more comfortable with being approached at a store, restaurant, whatever as opposed to the street. I think many women would agree with me that is a bit much.
Okay - you make a good point about things sounding scripted - I was in whole foods eating a few weeks back at Union Square and three guys were taking turns "gaming" women downstairs pretending to be shopping. I overheard them for a bit...they have like a little club they are in traveling through the city on a regular basis doing this stuff....and they actually get people to pay them to learn how to do this. I asked them how often it works, and basically they said more than enough...especially with the foreign girls.

I guess what I'm trying to get at here is you have groups that do this like it's a game and they get points for landing numbers...which is cool I guess, but then it makes it worse for people like myself who are doing it to genuinely find friends. I completely understand why women turn their shoulders in public after what I saw.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Okay - you make a good point about things sounding scripted - I was in whole foods eating a few weeks back at Union Square and three guys were taking turns "gaming" women downstairs pretending to be shopping. I overheard them for a bit...they have like a little club they are in traveling through the city on a regular basis doing this stuff....and they actually get people to pay them to learn how to do this. I asked them how often it works, and basically they said more than enough...especially with the foreign girls.

I guess what I'm trying to get at here is you have groups that do this like it's a game and they get points for landing numbers...which is cool I guess, but then it makes it worse for people like myself who are doing it to genuinely find friends. I completely understand why women turn their shoulders in public after what I saw.
Union Square is ground zero for PUA if you did not know. Just take a casual walk around union square, just walk with a guitar or walk with a dog or pet a woman's dog and generally a conversation strikes up. There are plenty of guys doing PUA especially Asian men. Saw an Asian guy pick up a black chick with an afro right outside of whole foods and they both went to Starbucks for coffee. Generally the women that fall for PUA are the liberal, educated, transient, Sometimes creative and sometimes careerist types. Plenty of videos with guys doing PUA in Union Square. Not sure if PUA works on local typical NYC women who can smells a man bs from a mile away.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:17 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,207,073 times
I don't approach women on streets IMO that's a form of harrasment. Not even within the confines of library, cafeteria or store. If you see a woman sitting alone at the corner table of some cafeteria trying to force down her Greek salad with a dead look in her eyes, just let her be. She is tired, you are tired. Its been a long day. Just go home.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 09-02-2013 at 10:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City