Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 09:11 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What does creeping down mean?
Expanding slowly down into an area where they had not previously had a presence.

"Creeping" being a neutral term, simply meaning "gradually moving." I am certainly not opposed to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I was around there like maybe two months back and and it was still in construction, it's across the street from Lionel Hampton Houses.
It could be either, depending on viewpoint, I am guessing it is the dorm building you could see though.
I will try to notice what's visible the next time I am down on St. Nicholas Avenue.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:10 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
I live just a couple blocks from that intersection and I generally enjoy it (I'm a white guy, for reference). I've been here three years now, and I just renewed my lease for another one.

It's definitely gentrifying, but it's not an overnight process. On the one hand, you've got a pretty nice new bar and a little boutique coffee shop in Harlem Public and The Chipped Cup up on 148th and Broadway. On the other hand, a 24 hour pawn shop just opened up down around 140th or so and Broadway. It's definitely a majority Dominican, with Blacks being a fairly close second, and whites being a pretty distant third.

On the whole, I think it's moving towards an environment more like Morningside Heights, but it'll take a while to get there. The projects that Columbia have going on the area will help this process. I plan on staying put for the long term, so I'm thinking about buying a two or maybe three bedroom in the area.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
I live just a couple blocks from that intersection and I generally enjoy it (I'm a white guy, for reference). I've been here three years now, and I just renewed my lease for another one.

It's definitely gentrifying, but it's not an overnight process. On the one hand, you've got a pretty nice new bar and a little boutique coffee shop in Harlem Public and The Chipped Cup up on 148th and Broadway. On the other hand, a 24 hour pawn shop just opened up down around 140th or so and Broadway. It's definitely a majority Dominican, with Blacks being a fairly close second, and whites being a pretty distant third.

On the whole, I think it's moving towards an environment more like Morningside Heights, but it'll take a while to get there. The projects that Columbia have going on the area will help this process. I plan on staying put for the long term, so I'm thinking about buying a two or maybe three bedroom in the area.
This is the best answer about the area around Broadway.

I think there is also another "Harlem Tavern" opening somewhere ...?

Old 08-31-2013, 02:16 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Expanding slowly down into an area where they had not previously had a presence.

"Creeping" being a neutral term, simply meaning "gradually moving." I am certainly not opposed to it.
Ah, got it. I had some mind flatulence.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:41 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
This is the best answer about the area around Broadway.

I think there is also another "Harlem Tavern" opening somewhere ...?
That's opening up in the southern part of Washington Heights. I'm unaware of a third location, but could be wrong. The one in Washington Heights is around 160th?? Can't recall, but saw it about 2 months ago in the construction phase. It may be open now--I have not been in that area since June.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:11 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
This bar & grill just opened not too long ago. Looks pretty nice from outside, have not been there yet but it's getting strong reviews. Will definitely check out when I have the chance...

The Grange Bar and Eatery - Harlem - New York, NY

Old 08-31-2013, 06:36 PM

624 posts, read 982,847 times
Its not an awful place by any means but there isn't a whole lot to do there. I'd feel safe walking around a night and have done so in the past.

Consider a place closer to 145th street station. 145 station has the express A train, 155 does not.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:51 AM

A few stories about Hamilton Heights:
H A R L E M + B E S P O K E: Hamilton Heights

Old 09-01-2013, 10:30 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
I was just up there at Grange Restaurant (Amsterdam/141st. area) and was actually kind of surprised how much the area has changed over just the past year. It was weird to see so many hipsters there, it was like the place was trying almost too hard to be trendy (not in a good way). But it makes sense and it's just going to keep gentrifying at rapid pace. But not gentrify with wealth, more like up to middle class levels. That, plus getting those tourism dollars. Middle America tourists are becoming more and more comfortable (even excited) about making the venture into Harlem. Hell, if my parents did it that should tell you something lol. And even as it does gentrify it presents a serious challenge for business owners. The population they are trying to attract at establishments like this are still a very small fraction of the neighborhood. Starbucks, the most successful concept ever, has experimented in West Harlem and had to leave in recent years. Even with a growing presence of those with disposable income they still struggle and shut their doors constantly. The pawn shop, liquor store, cell phone store... those places stay strong. Vegan restaurants and $6 Frappuccino shops maybe not so much. It'll be very interesting to see how things shape up in the years to come. I just hope it doesn't become some whitewashed version of below 96th Street, that would kind of suck. I like the idea of it gentrifying, but maintaining some of its character. I can see that being a huge problem for a number of the residents now. A LOT of people are going to get pushed out/priced out and resent all the Columbia kids and transplants. It's already happening now.

Money trumps your ethnic affiliation, that's something a lot of them don't see... or perhaps don't WANT to see. I experienced that tension up there as a white person. No one was ever rude directly but you could feel that they didn't want outsiders. When some of them realized I didn't speak fluent Spanish they would get a surprised/upset look on their face lol. My guess is a lot of the DR community in West Harlem is going to be pushed further up Manhattan. Manhattanville will eventually become an extension of Morningside Heights, and Hamilton Heights will follow suit. I could see that easily happening within the next 10-15 years. There's simply too big of a demand for NYC and limited space. Practically everyone back home in the Midwest envies me for living in New York. A lot of the ones without baggage like kids and mortgages plan on moving here. You are going to see so, SO many young Caucasian kids moving in, in numbers you've never seen before. There are very, very serious problems with the economy of the Rust Belt. I don't even think the majority of the country understands how bad it is. NYC is the American Dream for these kids, their hometowns the American Nightmare. There are still many parts of the city where buying real estate is a very sound investment when you consider that fact alone.

We talk about NYC going back to its gritty, drugged-out days of the past but the reality is that probably is the exact opposite of what is about to happen. These are young, bright individuals who see the fallacy of owning property in an unstable economy, see the fallacy of living in places without good public transit. They reject the idea of owning a car because they know it's a losing investment. We live in a different world than that of 30 years ago. The new dream is in urban centers, not the suburbs in a house with a white picket fence. It's scary in those suburbs because you go back and realize they are 20 years behind where NYC's economy is at and have very little idea of how to keep up. I worry about my family there quite often. You can see the deterioriation in metro Detroit pushing further and further north. Once pristine, perfectly manicured and affluent neighborhoods are showing signs there of decline. Whereas Hamilton Heights is the opposite, a more polished and clean version of its former self. If you really just look and pay attention it's very obvious where the growth is. You just have to have a little experience and a trained eye. The crime will continue trending down. Eventually, the entire city will be so expensive it will just be rendered completely unaffordable. It's good to see Quinn addressing that, it's something that needs to be talked about more often.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 09-01-2013 at 11:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City