Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 06:44 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,880,121 times

Advertisements

[quote=checkmatechamp13;31231269]

Could you expound on that? (I'm not being sarcastic, or anything)

-----------------------------------------------------

The area between St. Nicholas and Morningside Convent, above 125th, is a troubled area, lots of anti-socials, drugs, and so on. It did not help that one of the bigger "investment" landlords gutted a building and created dormitories for ex-con rehab housing. For which the state (i.e., taxpayer) doles out quite a sum each month. There are some awful buildings on the Terrace between 127th and 128th, two owned by a slumlord from China, and on 127th literally every building is social service housing. There were a few significant sales on 128th and those buildings are being turned around ... still, things do not get a lot better until Convent.

The apartments, and buildings, on the Terrace are nice, and I cannot imagine that this area will just be left as it is. It stands to reason that City College students and faculty will need housing, and eventually Columbia as well. City College is expanding a number of academic programs, and, perhaps most important, they are attempting to address the one major drawback of the school - not enough housing. Lacking campus housing, which students want, it is difficult to impossible to recruit students from elsewhere in the US or internationally. For Columbia it is the same, they are just a bit farther away.

I urged people to take on one of the empty retail spaces in that area. Whoever does so will build a great business right away, and the future could be very good. A good restaurant opened at St. Nicholas Avenue and 127th and it is packed every night. There are lots of opportunities for things beyond bodega and similar.

Addendum - if you are asking because you are thinking about buying, I would definitely do so.

Last edited by Harlem resident; 09-01-2013 at 06:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post

In any case, FWIW, I just started my first year at CCNY. I definitely agree that it's only a matter of time before the area resembles Morningside Heights, even if the Columbia expansion project wasn't in the picture. (Matter of fact, some of the advisors at the school were already trying to push it as the UWS. Apparently since I come from Staten Island, I'm supposed to be clueless on neighborhood boundaries. ). It definitely seems like the type of area that college students (from both Columbia & CCNY) would want to live in after they graduate. It has good transportation, a lot of stores, Riverbank State Park, etc.
Have you tried out Maison Harlem ?

Old 09-01-2013, 08:48 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,970,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
also recommend covo on 135th to anyone at ccny, and they can accomodate large groups (took a couple of groups of ccny students there at semesters' ends). a few blocks west but worth the walk. Covo NY ‹

Old 09-01-2013, 09:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,089,400 times
Quote:
The area between St. Nicholas and Morningside Convent, above 125th, is a troubled area, lots of anti-socials, drugs, and so on. It did not help that one of the bigger "investment" landlords gutted a building and created dormitories for ex-con rehab housing. For which the state (i.e., taxpayer) doles out quite a sum each month. There are some awful buildings on the Terrace between 127th and 128th, two owned by a slumlord from China, and on 127th literally every building is social service housing. There were a few significant sales on 128th and those buildings are being turned around ... still, things do not get a lot better until Convent.

The apartments, and buildings, on the Terrace are nice, and I cannot imagine that this area will just be left as it is. It stands to reason that City College students and faculty will need housing, and eventually Columbia as well. City College is expanding a number of academic programs, and, perhaps most important, they are attempting to address the one major drawback of the school - not enough housing. Lacking campus housing, which students want, it is difficult to impossible to recruit students from elsewhere in the US or internationally. For Columbia it is the same, they are just a bit farther away.

I urged people to take on one of the empty retail spaces in that area. Whoever does so will build a great business right away, and the future could be very good. A good restaurant opened at St. Nicholas Avenue and 127th and it is packed every night. There are lots of opportunities for things beyond bodega and similar.

Addendum - if you are asking because you are thinking about buying, I would definitely do so.
Oh, I see. Because when you mentioned St. Nicholas Terrace, I was thinking "Doesn't most of that street run behind CCNY? I don't see anything wrong with that area." But then I realized that you were talking about the portion that doesn't run behind CCNY.

But yeah, I see what you're saying. FWIW, I was asking out of curiosity about the dorms, and (if I understood correctly) they said that aside from the dorms, they can also help set you up with apartments (obviously, you can look for it on your own, but it sounded like they were coordinating with some of the landlords in the area or something). So it stands to reason that at some point, they'll try to fill up some of those buildings with college students.

Quote:
Nah. I'm kind of a cheapskate, and not really big on going out to eat.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:52 PM

44 posts, read 82,770 times
Is 145th considered Manhattanville? Or does Manhattanville stop at 125th?

Old 09-05-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityLittleMan View Post
Is 145th considered Manhattanville? Or does Manhattanville stop at 125th?
Manhattanville (so-called ..) is above 125th to around, I don't know, 130th ? West of St Nicholas Park, the Terrace being a kind of gray zone in many senses of the word.
135th seems like Hamilton Heights proper to me, on Convent anyway.
Most people think of the area below 125th as Morningside Heights - which it actually is not, east of the park - or Manhattan Valley.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:58 PM

33,363 posts, read 46,784,531 times
I would say Manhattanville begins at about 122nd Street and continues north to 135th....on Broadway and Amsterdam. After that it turns into Hamilton Heights, which expands more eastward.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-09-2013, 10:17 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,156,211 times
Quote:
There isn't a Starbucks in West Harlem, unless you mean the one on FDB - which is usually called south Harlem. "Experimenting "?

And none in Harlem have closed that I know about.

Manhattanvile will become an extension of Morningside Heights far sooner than 10 years from now.

Nobody is being "pushed out" that is current on rent, refrains from blasting music, refrains from running restaurants and take-out businesses from home, supervises their children ... and so on. There are too many resources to help with that and constant help from people like me.
I'm pretty sure there's one on 145th by those condos that were built a couple years ago. Am I wrong? That's heading towards central harlem though I realize...

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 09-09-2013 at 10:26 AM..

Old 09-09-2013, 10:20 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,156,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Did you even read my post? I know there isn't. I was referring to the one that USED to be very much in West Harlem ten years ago, on Broadway between 138th and 139th. That's West Harlem the last time I checked. They thought it would do well being close to City College and the 1 train. It wasn't and closed due to a lack of profits. And by being pushed out I am talking about people who can't afford increasing rents. It should be rather obvious that anyone that can afford to do so can stay in their home. Wow, just wow.
To be fair the area has continued to change in the last 10 years. Starbucks might have jumped the gun it happens. I'm surprised it didn't do well back then though, you would think just off the city college students and faculty they'd have more than enough business.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:22 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,521 posts, read 2,230,183 times
Its not all that bad. New development is actually on 145th and bradhurst...they have the Sutton, Ellington on the Park, ect. Some decent apartments also. Its like anything else, some good mixed with some lesser good. I live over that way and a friend of mines parents own two huge brownstones on 146 and st. nich. As far as diversity, there are AA's, Latinos (mainly Dominicano), Asians, whites, even have a European couple moved in the building from France. One main factor that everybody loves is the 10 block long Jackie Robinson Park which stretches from 145th to 155th. But you should really go around in the middle of the day. Easy BCD train access and the M10 bus on the corner of Fred. Douglas (8th Ave) and 145th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City