Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2013, 03:33 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Agreed. Just shocked that some people seem to think that Dante's hair is more important than in determining whether the mayor that we will most likely get has a clue about what running an 8.3 million global city entails.

That is more my concern and so I will vote Bill Thompson to deny Bill de Blasio an out and out victory. Hopefully in the run off, when people have more of an eye to the election, and with Weiner no longer around, we can have serious discussions about how we can recomcile the fact that NYC is a "tale of two cities" with the fact that excessive taxation and regulation chases off the very people who this city needs.

What folks need to know that is many of the people with supposedly "high" incomes, own S corporations, and much of that income is undistributed profits needed for expansion. Not salaries spent to buy more baubles.
NYC shot itself in the foot and its going to take a long time for the wound to heal. It does not matter who becomes mayor but NYC has financial problems that it has to deal with and under Bloomberg it was ignored. For one NYC has 120 billion dollars in debt, how is NYC going to repay that? By boring money from banks for loans, or adjusting the city bond rating, or increasing taxes, issuing more fines? The very things that scares both rich and poor and everyone else in between away. Then you have city workers who have been working without a contract for more than half a decade which cost billions in retroactive pay, this has to be paid back and plus a new contract for more money for workers in an city already expensive. Then you have 46% of New Yorkers living at or near the poverty line, again it is a tale of two cities which I do agree with him on. How do you help these people who are in poverty move up the income scale, again you have to increase taxes on the very rich, which can scare them and leave, or tax the dying middle class and even working class more, forcing them to leave as well. Again borrow more money from banks, how can the city repay these institutions, growing the city debt level. On another thread someone talked about de Blasio touching and working to adjust the city pension system which is insured.

I like de Blasio but again I don't know who is going to get my vote, or I might just abstain from going to the polls all together. My concerns are this, better job creation, work with private firms to hire local native New Yorkers instead of Transplants, go to CUNY community colleges to Columbia University and not hire city students first but consider city students first. Also give business tax breaks or tax subsidies if they hire locally. Try to fix schools which is already broken, how can anyone obtain a decent job when education is poor, poor education follows you from elementary already up to college. Another thing is that their are to many broken and dysfunctional families in NYC, all one has to do is go to Washington Heights, Harlem, the whole entire Bronx, Most of Brooklyn, much of Queens and its the same story, single mom with two kids, from one or two different men and still no man around. Now everyone wonders why their is so much poverty in NYC, their is or are no dual income households, also another cycle of excons and single moms again rises out of these same dysfunctional broken families. Someone should try to fix these families.

Right now I'm just happy Bloomberg is gone, but at the sametime we need a mayor that is not pro status quo, a mayor that does not sell out the poor, but a mayor that can work and help the poor, but also preserve the people who are in the middle which are the most important because these folks can slide into poverty or take their money out of NYC and head to NC, NJ, PA, FL and be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 03:43 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,222,657 times
Quote:
Poor man. Now go and have a cow becasue you dont like Dante's afro.
Instead of saying something stupid as your known to do, debate me...why is Dante not a public figure? Simple question, and I stated that he is. You didn't comment on that, you chose to take a cheap shot. I could careless about the kids hair. Now, lets see how good you are Carib...why is Dante DeBlasio not a public figure? Oh wait, that's right he's already all over the campaign, talked about on the internet, radio, television, etc. etc. That makes him a public figure, an inconvenient truth....CHECKMATE, now go play with someone else

Old 09-09-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY...DirtyStayOut View Post
Instead of saying something stupid as your known to do, debate me...why is Dante not a public figure? Simple question, and I stated that he is. You didn't comment on that, you chose to take a cheap shot. I could careless about the kids hair. Now, lets see how good you are Carib...why is Dante DeBlasio not a public figure? Oh wait, that's right he's already all over the campaign, talked about on the internet, radio, television, etc. etc. That makes him a public figure, an inconvenient truth....CHECKMATE, now go play with someone else
Rep. I agree with you. CaribNY is not too bright in the head at times. But I do agree that we should worry about issues at hand instead of some kid with an afro.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:59 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,222,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Rep. I agree with you. CaribNY is not too bright in the head at times. But I do agree that we should worry about issues at hand instead of some kid with an afro.
Thank you, I don't always agree with you but your very level headed and your views on this mayoral race are well thought out. I enjoy your posts and your right about the contracts, things can get ugly in thus city financialy very quickly. These are things we should be talking about, not this other bullsh*t. Rep back at you...

Old 09-09-2013, 04:54 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,850 times
Quote:
Try to fix schools which is already broken, how can anyone obtain a decent job when education is poor, poor education follows you from elementary already up to college. Another thing is that their are to many broken and dysfunctional families in NYC, all one has to do is go to Washington Heights, Harlem, the whole entire Bronx, Most of Brooklyn, much of Queens and its the same story, single mom with two kids, from one or two different men and still no man around. Now everyone wonders why their is so much poverty in NYC, their is or are no dual income households, also another cycle of excons and single moms again rises out of these same dysfunctional broken families. Someone should try to fix these families.

Right now I'm just happy Bloomberg is gone, but at the sametime we need a mayor that is not pro status quo, a mayor that does not sell out the poor, but a mayor that can work and help the poor, but also preserve the people who are in the middle which are the most important because these folks can slide into poverty or take their money out of NYC and head to NC, NJ, PA, FL and be happy.
Yes it is a tale of 2 cities but some people are going to have to be more responsible for themselves. Being a single parent is not necessarily a bad thing. It is better to grow up in loving peaceful home with one parent that is setting a good example, than 2 that are dysfunctional.

A HRA worker told me that they constantly see young women come in that have children and they live with the children's father and some are married. They come to their section seeking rent assistance. That they already have affordable housing, and they owe about $3k in rent on an apt that they are paying $500 a month. That they just received 8K in tax returns. The father drives the mother up to the HRA cuenter in a pretty nice car and picks her back up. The mother and every single child old enough to use one sit in the waiting room playing with the latest versions of cell phones.

The parents did not pay rent because they needed New furniture when they received the tax return. Oh they will also be on line to get free book bags because they need to pay their cable bill. These parents are usually young able bodied people.

This is not what I would expect being that as a working middle class person I never get a tax return I have to send in a payment. Yes there are people that need assistance, but do the rest of us have to be bled dry, to give it to the ones that are living like the example I'm giving.

The middle class can't save the poor. DeBlasio can't keep those promises, he has no source for funds to end the tale of 2 cities. Parents have to commit to getting their children the education and skills needed to get good paying jobs or become entrepreneurs. The City can't keep filling in the financial gaps for people. The City has to be tax friendly to attract business, this will require cut backs in some things that are losing money.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:56 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Quote:
Are any of Romneys kids minors? In any case I have no interest in following each and every patrol, but I will when you join the racist brigade who harrass Dante because he has an afro.

Come on. Jokes about Wiener's wife, or Quinn's. Or Bill Thompson's daughter, for that matter. After all they are adults and are every bit as public as Dante is.

I will not join you in this, but this seems to be what you like to do.
I posted an even "worse" meme with a young ginger kid. Captions and everything. Not a peep from you, even though he's probably younger than Dante. If the other candidates paraded their kids in their ads, and a poster here said the same thing....I woulda done the same thing.

Quote:
So go and find the white family ofd a politician and tell us when his/her groomings were so rediculed.
WAT

Quote:
Clearly you have many examples and clearly caribj made many comments about them.
Did you log into the wrong account, or are you referring to yourself in the third person?

There have been no examples of how he was "attacked" due to his appearance. Cause he hasn't been. Unless that is, the stick is so far up your ass that extremely light-hearted ribbing causes you to gather the internet justice league and deliver some much deserved smack downs.

Seriously, lighten up buddy...

Old 09-09-2013, 05:20 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Yes it is a tale of 2 cities but some people are going to have to be more responsible for themselves. Being a single parent is not necessarily a bad thing. It is better to grow up in loving peaceful home with one parent that is setting a good example, than 2 that are dysfunctional.

A HRA worker told me that they constantly see young women come in that have children and they live with the children's father and some are married. They come to their section seeking rent assistance. That they already have affordable housing, and they owe about $3k in rent on an apt that they are paying $500 a month. That they just received 8K in tax returns. The father drives the mother up to the HRA cuenter in a pretty nice car and picks her back up. The mother and every single child old enough to use one sit in the waiting room playing with the latest versions of cell phones.

The parents did not pay rent because they needed New furniture when they received the tax return. Oh they will also be on line to get free book bags because they need to pay their cable bill. These parents are usually young able bodied people.
This is consistent with what I see, and too much of the time.
I mentioned elsewhere that it is a lifestyle and you have provided a good description of such.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:26 PM

937 posts, read 1,134,933 times
Quote:
NYC shot itself in the foot and its going to take a long time for the wound to heal. It does not matter who becomes mayor but NYC has financial problems that it has to deal with and under Bloomberg it was ignored. For one NYC has 120 billion dollars in debt, how is NYC going to repay that?
Forget about NYC's debt for a second and think about the national debt, which exceeds trillions upon trillions of dollars. Who is going to pay that back? When you put this into context, you'll begin to understand that these problems are larger than life and will not be resolved by any political party or administration, irrespective of what the media or any politician may tell you.
Quote:

Then you have 46% of New Yorkers living at or near the poverty line, again it is a tale of two cities which I do agree with him on. How do you help these people who are in poverty move up the income scale, again you have to increase taxes on the very rich, which can scare them and leave, or tax the dying middle class and even working class more, forcing them to leave as well. Again borrow more money from banks, how can the city repay these institutions, growing the city debt level. On another thread someone talked about de Blasio touching and working to adjust the city pension system which is insured.
In reality, most politicians speak about leveling the playing field, but in truth, this is quite difficult to do in the West, because we have a quasi capitalistic society, which is structurally set up like a pyramid. This means that the bulk of people will always be on the bottom, while only a handful will be at the top and able to reap the majority of benefits and resources. The only way to eradicate poverty is to do away with monetary systems, but of course, most in the West would never want to do that.

Quote:
I like de Blasio but again I don't know who is going to get my vote, or I might just abstain from going to the polls all together.
I like de Blasio as well, and I believe local elections are still worthwhile. If you are able to vote, you should cast a ballot, because some politicians are actually able to enact good policies which ultimately improve quality of life measures for average residents.

Quote:
My concerns are this, better job creation, work with private firms to hire local native New Yorkers instead of Transplants, go to CUNY community colleges to Columbia University and not hire city students first but consider city students first.
Many hiring managers are interested in the candidates' skill set and not whether they initially hailed from NYC, Zimbabwe, Virginia, South Carolina or Hong Kong. But it is however true that many NYC based employers tend to hire from local area schools; therefore, NYC based students at times, have an advantage, with respect to receiving job offers in NYC.

Quote:
Another thing is that their are to many broken and dysfunctional families in NYC, all one has to do is go to Washington Heights, Harlem, the whole entire Bronx, Most of Brooklyn, much of Queens and its the same story, single mom with two kids, from one or two different men and still no man around. Now everyone wonders why their is so much poverty in NYC, their is or are no dual income households, also another cycle of excons and single moms again rises out of these same dysfunctional broken families. Someone should try to fix these families.
The issues which you touch on are structural in nature. The fact remains that we reside in a quasi capitalist system. This means that there will be a few winners, but far more individuals who lose out. Those who tend to prosper have the tools necessary to compete, due to their stable families, access to safe/clean living environments, good nutritious food, quality education and healthcare.

Quote:
Right now I'm just happy Bloomberg is gone, but at the same time we need a mayor that is not pro status quo, a mayor that does not sell out the poor, but a mayor that can work and help the poor, but also preserve the people who are in the middle which are the most important because these folks can slide into poverty or take their money out of NYC and head to NC, NJ, PA, FL and be happy.
All government officials work within the system, otherwise they wouldn't be allowed to serve as "elected" officials. The poor will never have a substantial voice in a capitalist system, because the poor are not seen as adding value. If anything, the "system" views impoverished people as removing resources; therefore, their concerns, wants and desires are not at the top of the priority list for elected politicians from either the democratic or republican party.

On a side note, here is a very interesting article about Bloomberg. I pretty much agree with this article and I won't be surprised if he manages to select (via his money and campaign contributions) the next republican mayor of NYC.

Why Bloomberg snapped: The real reason he must hate de Blasio - Salon.com

Old 09-09-2013, 05:58 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
On a side note, here is a very interesting article about Bloomberg. I pretty much agree with this article and I won't be surprised if he manages to select (via his money and campaign contributions) the next republican mayor of NYC.

I agree with this article.

Bloomberg really doesn't realize how much he's hated outside of his circle of rich friends.

Quinn, unfortunately, doesn't stand a chance all because of her association with him. He would be ruling the city from the side lines and she would be afraid not to bow down to his wishes.

He can put money behind Lohta, but he's not gonna win. Lohta is not personable nor does he have an engaging personality. He's emotionless like Cheney. Yeah, in his current ads he's "trying" to smile and look like a "people person", but no one's falling for it.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
Forget about NYC's debt for a second and think about the national debt, which exceeds trillions upon trillions of dollars. Who is going to pay that back? When you put this into context, you'll begin to understand that these problems are larger than life and will not be resolved by any political party or administration, irrespective of what the media or any politician may tell you.
In reality, most politicians speak about leveling the playing field, but in truth, this is quite difficult to do in the West, because we have a quasi capitalistic society, which is structurally set up like a pyramid. This means that the bulk of people will always be on the bottom, while only a handful will be at the top and able to reap the majority of benefits and resources. The only way to eradicate poverty is to do away with monetary systems, but of course, most in the West would never want to do that.

I like de Blasio as well, and I believe local elections are still worthwhile. If you are able to vote, you should cast a ballot, because some politicians are actually able to enact good policies which ultimately improve quality of life measures for average residents.

Many hiring managers are interested in the candidates' skill set and not whether they initially hailed from NYC, Zimbabwe, Virginia, South Carolina or Hong Kong. But it is however true that many NYC based employers tend to hire from local area schools; therefore, NYC based students at times, have an advantage, with respect to receiving job offers in NYC.

The issues which you touch on are structural in nature. The fact remains that we reside in a quasi capitalist system. This means that there will be a few winners, but far more individuals who lose out. Those who tend to prosper have the tools necessary to compete, due to their stable families, access to safe/clean living environments, good nutritious food, quality education and healthcare.

All government officials work within the system, otherwise they wouldn't be allowed to serve as "elected" officials. The poor will never have a substantial voice in a capitalist system, because the poor are not seen as adding value. If anything, the "system" views impoverished people as removing resources; therefore, their concerns, wants and desires are not at the top of the priority list for elected politicians from either the democratic or republican party.

No ****! Citygirl, you dont say? Welcome to economics 101.

Last how can anyone be qualified for a job when education in the city is not up to par with what employers, recruiters and staffers desire, let alone a good portion of city youth are not even prepared to attend community college. This is why I mentioned an improvement in an education is needed so that when the time is right citt residents can obtain qualified jobs. Thanks for posting that link btw. If I was Bloomberg abd i remade NYC in my image, I too would hate de Blasio for trying to erode 12 years of progress for the wealthy.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 09-09-2013 at 06:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City