Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 01:43 PM

213 posts, read 508,703 times

Advertisements

I have two younger cousins (siblings, 19 and 22) who have been like brothers to me since childhood. While they're amiable, selfless and intelligent, they're also naive when it comes to employment. For the past two years, their most regular source of income has been a seasonal landscaping job at a summer camp where one of our uncles work. Otherwise, they've been employed sporadically, if at all.

The 22 year-old has been studying at Berkeley College, which I honestly have strong reservations about considering what I've read and what he's told me. He's working towards something, so I just recommended that he plan out his remaining course requirements well so he could save $$$ and get the hell out of there.

The 19 year-old however, dropped out of HS a couple of years ago and has infrequently gone for his GED ever since. According to him, he's either stopped going to his prep classes, or had his prep programs shut down due to budget cuts. He doesn't consider himself to be academically minded so college is out of the question, but he has demonstrated interest in hands-on occupations like woodworking.

Both of their job searches have been fruitless because they seldom look outside of Craigslist. Their resumes and cover letters aren't up to par either. The 19 year-old is the one I'm more worried about however, as I went through a similar situation during my late teen's/early 20's. Back then, my parents pushed and shoved me towards getting my GED and later a college education due to my lack of motivation and initiative. They warned me of the struggles and ****-eating I'd endure if I didn't have something to fall back on. Now as a college grad working towards a career in Film/TV *cue laugh track*, I'm eternally grateful for the pressure they had put on me. My cousin's parents however, haven't offered them much more than food, shelter and financial support, because as blue-collar, first-generation Dominicans they can't relate to them career-wise. The money's growing thin in their household as well, so they're feeling the pressure to contribute towards the rent and bills.

Apart from providing motivation and brushing up their resumes and cover letters, I can't do much else for them as counseling isn't my line of work. Could any of you suggest websites or places in the city that could orient them on job searching skills? And in the case of the 19 year old, go for his GED and figure out what career he could pursue? Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 02:56 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Workforce1 - Job Opportunities and Expert Advice for New York City's Jobseekers

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-30-2013, 03:39 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
I'm guessing that Craigslist is really a perfect place to go for low-skill people. Unfortunately, as long as their parents are picking up the tab, they won't be motivated. Of course, the parents won't want to have them flung out into the street, but if they stopped paying for things like cell phone bills, that might be a motivator.

I'd check around for any free sessions that are offered by the public library for things like resume help, and things like that. Then relay the information not just to your cousins, but to their parents as well, in the hopes that the parents will goad them to attend. Maybe your parents can invite them over for dinner and grill them uncomfortably. I'm not sure that job-searching "skills" enter into it at this point. They just have to understand that with no skills they won't get far. For the drop-out, it would at least be better to get a low-level job as a stockboy in a department store or a mailroom clerk at an office, rather than working at a fast-food place, I imagine.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:41 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,850 times
The GED test is very hard for people that don't have 12 years of good basic education. The 19 year old can go back to HS and earn a regular diploma. Check out the site below for more information. Click on the link "this directory once you are on the site.
http//:schools.nyc.gov/ChoicesEnrollment/AlternativesHS/default.htm

What is the 22 year old studying? How far into it is he? Even though he is not going to the best if he is far enough along he maybe at the point where he can transfer to a SUNY 2 or 4 year and be able to do the work once he transfers.

Did he like landscaping? There are horticulture programs available. Read up on programs for things he likes in order to advise and help prepare him.

I recommend a SUNY not too far from the city over a CUNY, because there are less students and he can get classes and tutoring more easily. Plus get away from negative influences in the city and focus on his studies.

Keep in mind that although they are legal adults they may still need someone to go with them for information sessions, helping with enrollment etc. Also once in, they need continued support which may include visits and gift boxes of supplies and snacks. Best wishes to you and them. It maybe hard if they have no motivation. But many times that is a disguise for fear of the unknown and uncharted territory.

Last edited by DAS; 08-30-2013 at 03:50 PM..

Old 08-30-2013, 05:11 PM

213 posts, read 508,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
The GED test is very hard for people that don't have 12 years of good basic education. The 19 year old can go back to HS and earn a regular diploma. Check out the site below for more information. Click on the link "this directory once you are on the site.
http//:schools.nyc.gov/ChoicesEnrollment/AlternativesHS/default.htm

Checking that out as I speak, er type. He mentioned that he had previously been attending a GED Plus program and felt he was making progress until its evening sessions got cut.

What is the 22 year old studying? How far into it is he? Even though he is not going to the best if he is far enough along he maybe at the point where he can transfer to a SUNY 2 or 4 year and be able to do the work once he transfers.

B.S in Criminal Justice. I doubt he'll be transferring anywhere considering he's already several thousands of dollars in debt thanks to that college.

Did he like landscaping? There are horticulture programs available. Read up on programs for things he likes in order to advise and help prepare him.

Both have come to dislike their landscaping gig, as they found it demeaning and low-paying.

Keep in mind that although they are legal adults they may still need someone to go with them for information sessions, helping with enrollment etc. Also once in, they need continued support which may include visits and gift boxes of supplies and snacks. Best wishes to you and them. It maybe hard if they have no motivation. But many times that is a disguise for fear of the unknown and uncharted territory.

That last sentence is indeed true (I've gone through it and to an extent still do), and may be the case with the dropout as well.
Back to their parents, it isn't so much that they've gone soft on them (or else they wouldn't be pressuring them to help out with the bills), but more that they're unfamiliar with higher education and/or career pursuits, so they can't advise them in that regard. They don't help them out that much financially either, as they don't have the means to. They're all living with their bare essentials, paycheck-to-paycheck. Their sister for example didn't count much on their parents. She worked and put herself through college while living in the same home, and found herself with good work post-college. Personally I think that the parents are satisfied as long as their sons work and chip in at home somehow, short of doing anything illegal or criminal that is.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:50 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,850 times
Ok good for the 22 year old a BS is a BS no matter where it's from and will open doors especially for gov't jobs at city, state, and federal levels. If he is interested on uniformed services like police, corrections, trooper the BS will allow many promotional opportunities. Dept of Parole is another.

I think you have a little more to deal with concerning the 19 year old. But since he sees that you have done it, and you are on your way to success, and he sees his brother working through it getting an education, that will help with your efforts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: