Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 04:02 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
What good would that do? In CT, when a white woman has a deranged child who shot up a school, did people decide to mentor non ready women from having children? Did people decide to help the "poor" white people of CT? This sound like kitchification of people in poor neighborhoods (save the whales, lets civilize the poor dears).

What about the white dude that shot up the movie theater in Utah? Please demonstrate how a senseless crime in Brownsville is linked to poor motherhood, and for that matter, let us know why when white men commit crimes, its not poor motherhood.

These mass shootings are a conpletely different animal than the ongoing gun deaths in impoverished communities thoughout the country. They only happen once in a while, whereas south side Chicago will have 60/month. That does indeed stem from a culture. Not necessarily a "black" culture, but a thug culture. And having multiple kids as a young mother with no father figure around is very much related. If you deny that, you're not being honest with yourself. The mass shootings that whitey commits are a product of mental illness IMO, which needs to be studied further to prevent that insanity.

Also it was Colorado not Utah. And white men do commit crimes. Not on the level of ongoing street shootings against each other like black men tend to (it definitely happens...just not remotely as much). That's what I thought we were talking about. Not simply "commiting crimes". If you want to talk about meth, pedophilia, or corporate fraud, let's talk about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 04:24 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,923,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
They do have some programs like that. I've read about them. Unfortunately, they are fighting against the tide, but even if a few escape and find a better life, I think it's worth it.
I know about them because I have worked in them, contributed in any way I could.
I agree that few or even one is a good thing.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:27 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
These mass shootings are a conpletely different animal than the ongoing gun deaths in impoverished communities thoughout the country. They only happen once in a while, whereas south side Chicago will have 60/month. That does indeed stem from a culture. Not necessarily a "black" culture, but a thug culture. And having multiple kids as a young mother with no father figure around is very much related. If you deny that, you're not being honest with yourself. The mass shootings that whitey commits are a product of mental illness IMO, which needs to be studied further to prevent that insanity.

Also it was Colorado not Utah. And white men do commit crimes. Not on the level of ongoing street shootings against each other like black men tend to (it definitely happens...just not remotely as much). That's what I thought we were talking about. Not simply "commiting crimes". If you want to talk about meth, pedophilia, or corporate fraud, let's talk about it.
So murderous whites are "insane" while murders Blacks are "thugs". Double standard, anyone? The white guy who butchered people in CT was raised by a mother who was heavily into guns herself. So more than mental illness was going on there. Had his mom not taught him to shoot and had lots of guns available, that might not have happened. So was that incident some sort of "cultural" thing?

Old 09-02-2013, 04:31 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,923,346 times
Quote:

I simply would not bother in that direction.

While they accuse everyone in view of racism, two more children will be shot.
The smarter people at community meetings term this strategy "subject changing."

Example: One person points out that there is a problem on the park basketball court with the end result being that one adolescent is shot and killed, two others wounded. [NOTE: All are black children, although this is not mentioned.]

Response: White people kill people. Let's talk about how and why you are so interested in black children being killed, which is not usual and if it is it is caused by white culture ...

Hopefully you are not looking for anything resembling a solution from the second speaker because you will be quite disappointed. In any case, at the end of the meeting, everyone remains firmly at square one.

I have been involved in enough things to feel confident pointing out - THAT is actually a significant part of the problem.

True story, by the way. Edited for length.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Revenge killing of known gang members. People who don't give a hoot about anyone else including themselves. They make it bad for everyone.

Why you continue to stick up for these types I don't know, maybe your tune will change when either yourself or your family is hit by one of these stray bullets. Maybe you're benefiting personally from some gang members? Suspicion is enough for Stop and Frisk and if you're acting suspicious, guess what you're going to get noticed. Your Robinhood-esque deduction doesn't hold water, these thugs care nothing about human life and your attitude of not caring for the next person lines up perfectly with their attitudes.

The judge's conclusion doesn't matter because it was illegal for her to circumvent the will of the people, meaning by law this was supposed to be voted by the people, this told to me by a lawyer. You'll see what happens come January.

And if you think having a Democrat in the mayor's office will change things then you're truly delusional. The Jewish Community won't allow Stop and Frisk to be ended for starters.

The day New York becomes like Chicago I'm outta here.

So keep chiming on this message board about federal courts and the Constitution it doesn't mean a hill of beans of what will happen here in the city.

I have lived in Chicago, and it isn't bad. I recall the Dinkins years, and in those years neither myself nor anyone in my family was hit by bullets. So spare me the scare tactics, they won't work on me.

As for the ending of stop and frisk, the Jewish community is not powerful enough to overrule the federal courts. Besides, the cops won't want to do stop and frisk, as they can be personally sued and the City Council's anti stop and frisk bill made it even easier to sue individual cops in state court.

So Stop and Frisk is over on multiple fronts, and it will continue to be attacked on multiple fronts.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
So murderous whites are "insane" while murders Blacks are "thugs". Double standard, anyone? The white guy who butchered people in CT was raised by a mother who was heavily into guns herself. So more than mental illness was going on there. Had his mom not taught him to shoot and had lots of guns available, that might not have happened. So was that incident some sort of "cultural" thing?

Well you're being incredibly general. But if whites were gunning each other down in our cities the way blacks are under the same circumstances with the same backgrounds, then I'd say the same exact thing. However what we are comparing are different kinds of murders with different sets of circumstances. Lanza was certifiably insane, gunning down little kids like that. A kid from Baltimore gunning down some other kid from different turf is something completely different.

Apples and cucumbers, man...

Old 09-02-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Well you're being incredibly general. But if whites were gunning each other down in our cities the way blacks are under the same circumstances with the same backgrounds, then I'd say the same exact thing. However what we are comparing are different kinds of murders with different sets of circumstances. Lanza was certifiably insane, gunning down little kids like that. A kid from Baltimore gunning down some other kid from different turf is something completely different.

Apples and cucumbers, man...
Out of 8 million people, homicides in NYC number in the hundreds. So please tell me how are Blacks murdering each other, when you that a large number of Blacks in NYC and so few homicides.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Out of 8 million people, homicides in NYC number in the hundreds. So please tell me how are Blacks murdering each other, when you that a large number of Blacks in NYC and so few homicides.
I don't quite follow your grammar on the second sentence. But I thought we were at the point of discussing this in a general sense in the country, and not just NYC.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I don't quite follow your grammar on the second sentence. But I thought we were at the point of discussing this in a general sense in the country, and not just NYC.
We are speaking of NYC. Murder rates are at historic lows. So please tell me how it is a cultural thing when in NYC there's just a few hundred murders per year in a city of 8 million people. Few people are getting killed.

And murder rates are down nationally.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:19 PM

To tell you the truth, Stop and Frisk wasn't done in very many neighborhoods large scale. The NYPD focused on neighborhoods in transition (Harlem, Bedstuy, etc.). I've not even seen Stop and Frisk being done in the North Bronx where I live. I lived in the Jewish section of the Rockaways before this, and taking the A train home it went through some dicey neighborhoods. And I never saw Stop and Frisk happening on the A train, despite the fact it goes through some of the worst neighborhoods.

You would have at the most one officer late at night patrol the A train. So its not like you had this overwhelming police presence out in the field preventing crimes in the city as a whole. That's bull****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City