Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 01:08 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times

Advertisements

Regarding Yonkers, that's SW Yonkers, and is not indicative of the entire city. NE Yonkers actually has a Bronxville zip code and is very similar in character to Bronxville, i.e., an area like Lawrence Park where Sarah Lawrence is located. Yonkers encompasses many areas, most of which are middle/upper middle class enclaves. It's SW Yonkers that gets the bad press, especially near Getty Square and the waterfront. White Plains is a good suggestion, as would be Mamaroneck, Larchmont or Tarrytown. If you wanted to be further north, about an hour on the train, closer to open spaces, I would look at Mount Kisco, which has proximity to open spaces in Northern Westchester, yet is not terribly far removed from White Plains. Port Chester has had some revitalization in recent years, though there are still pockets that are not as nice, but the main reason people avoid it in Westchester is because of the public school system that does not rank as high as other districts.

If you do not have to travel to Manhattan everyday, you might consider Nyack in Rockland County. The main headache is crossing the Hudson during rush hour, since the Tappan Zee is a nightmare; however, Nyack is just over the bridge, such that it might not be too difficult for your needs. Also, there is a bus, the TappanZeeExpress, that connects with Tarrytown for Metro-North to Manhattan. The commute would be about an hour and a half to Midtown. Nyack will be less expensive than Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow because of the hassle of the bridge, so you could check both and see what works best for your needs, i.e., if the savings are significant enough to warrant the hassle of the Tappan Zee.

If you want to be close to Manhattan, look at Fort Lee, NJ. The commute to 5th is not as easy as Midtown West or the UWS, but there are buses to the Port Authority, and bus links to the subway across the George Washington Bridge. You could take the A to the D subway to Rockefeller Center in about 35 minutes from the George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal. Fort Lee will be more expensive than Nyack, and on par with some places in White Plains.

Some other areas in Westchester that you may consider would be Tuckahoe and Hartsdale. Lower Westchester, south of 287 tends to be much more developed than areas to the north, especially NE Westchester that tends to be almost exurban in places, but about an hour or so on the train to Manhattan.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 01:10 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,513,836 times
Yo high five for ATLiens! Where do you live now in Atlanta? I used to have a place at 14th and Piedmont, and if I ever move back, that'll be where I look.

Anyway, you can easily get 1 bedroom in upper Manhattan in a decent part of Harlem for $1,500 or less. If you're set on the suburbs, I also used to live in Westchester. The Metro North runs express trains from White Plains that get you to Grand Central in 35 minutes (or was it even less?). I lived in Harrison for a while, and the trains are all local (I believe), but it's still only like 45 minutes or so.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:10 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfieldFly View Post
Looking at New Rochelle now - lots of places up the Hudson actually, as that would be my preferred line in...

And yeah - coming from driving a car through the connector and Grady curve every day, a 2 hour train ride would be like heaven. I could just sit and do nothing, or read, or watch a movie...a 45 minute drive through downtown Atlanta might not take long, but you want to kill people.

I like the idea of a coastal or riverfront area too - something close to water would be nice. Trying to get out past Woodlawn and Yonkers on either side, respectively - I figure if adding time to my commute gets me progressively nicer areas, I'll gladly read another chapter, or listen to a few more songs to occupy myself...I'll be working my ass off most likely, so I'm not going to be upset if the commute eats time. Just as long as I don't have to drive, other than to the train in the morning.
Regarding the train, I assume you mean only to the office in Manhattan. The Metro-North service does not facilitate cross-county transit by any means. It is solely a N/S service to/from Midtown. You definitely need to drive to client sites in the region.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-02-2013, 01:17 PM

15 posts, read 48,445 times
@Feb, that's the hope...to come back someday. I grew up in Peachtree City, and I've lived in Brookhaven for the past 8 years....pretty big shift to move up north. Granted the past 6 years I've gone through 2 passports, I'm no stranger to travel - living there will be psychologically taxing in the beginning.

Yep, the train idea is just to get me to the office when I'm required to be there - all other travel to customer locations will likely be expensed. If they're in Manhattan, it's basically the same commute + subways. If not, then I would imagine I can still get close on the trains - over 2 hour train ride is past commuting, and I'd likely be doing rides like that Sunday night before being onsite for the week.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:43 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,672,681 times
Are you open to the outer boroughs of the city, or are you fixed on a suburban town?

And how much are you willing to spend in rent, and how many BR's and/or Sq Ft?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City