Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 03:08 PM

6 posts, read 18,399 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me a little about this job is their overtime involved
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 06:00 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,539,240 times
I saw this dcas job also, its 911 operator I think- I can assume high demands and emotionally draining/stressful. Probably long hours - I may just apply - but $47 for a test ouch! lol

Old 09-10-2013, 10:01 PM

9 posts, read 18,657 times
I took the PCT test today....tons of people there. I heard they are looking to hire immediately, as in within the next few months, and they are also marketing this position everywhere - careerbuilder.com, craigslist, etc....yet, one of the staffers over at the test site said it will take 6-12 months to get my official rank/list number in the mail. Does anyone know anything about this? Is there any other way to submit an application, especially since I already took and passed the test?

Any info on this would be appreciated....I took another city test about a year ago, got a good score, and haven't heard a thing since.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:47 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,539,240 times
Becca .. welcome to the reality of applying or taking city exams.. ITs a LOOOONNNGGG Journey. I mean I've taken a few through out the years and still waiting. (with good scores btw) Sometimes I just think its just another way for the city to make more money. Its just a chance you have to take but if you take it and the time comes you just may be happy or the job may just not be what you really wanted.. -_-

I also heard they were looking to hire asap BUT you never know.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:50 AM

42 posts, read 84,526 times
I want to take this probably tomorrow. I know it may take a long time for a call back but the job will most likely come when I least expect it and truly need it. How is the test?

Old 09-24-2013, 09:20 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,156,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becca718 View Post
I took the PCT test today....tons of people there. I heard they are looking to hire immediately, as in within the next few months, and they are also marketing this position everywhere - careerbuilder.com, craigslist, etc....yet, one of the staffers over at the test site said it will take 6-12 months to get my official rank/list number in the mail. Does anyone know anything about this? Is there any other way to submit an application, especially since I already took and passed the test?

Any info on this would be appreciated....I took another city test about a year ago, got a good score, and haven't heard a thing since.
They might consider a year/year and a half a quick turnaround. Remember public and private have very different definitions of quick.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:18 AM

31 posts, read 54,807 times
I can't imagine why there wouldn't be OT. Emergencies never sleep. Many PCTs are known to work long and hard.

Make sure you know your stuff and if you don't score perfect or near perfect, you pretty much have no shot at ever getting the job. Simply passing will never be enough--you have to totally kill it and hope you get a good list number.

The level of interest in this exam doesn't really surprise me. I think the last time recruitment was this aggressive for any exam was when Firefighter exam #2000 was hot. Obviously, that was aimed at trying to recruit more minorities in the FDNY. Most firefighters, if you talk to them, really don't care about if the closest firefighters to them are minorities or not--they just want someone who has their back and can do the job well.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 9,532 times
They established the list for this exam last week which is extremely fast considering the first test was in September....they must really need people

Old 11-27-2013, 04:43 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,218,188 times
New York's 911 emergency call center suffering major shortage of operators - NY Daily News

My hell as a 911 operator | New York Post

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City