Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 10:56 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,574,301 times

Advertisements

Agree with other posters that it's certainly not an incident to incite moving from the area.... Ignore. There are worst things to be approached with - most that should also be ignored...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 11:35 PM

284 posts, read 640,717 times
lol what is this 1963???!!! what good would come out of telling the parents of the girl?!!? if shes on the streets begging, just imagine her life at home. like other posters have said next time just keep it pushing & ignore.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:56 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,534,263 times
Although I generally like transplants, I was starting to miss Jcoltrane's antitransplants rants. Glad your back

Old 09-06-2013, 10:06 AM

916 posts, read 2,244,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Although I generally like transplants, I was starting to miss Jcoltrane's antitransplants rants. Glad your back
I've always enjoyed Professor Jcoltrane's uncensored and no political correctness lectures in the forum.
(Except those super long posts ) He always tells it like he sees it, blunt, straight talk whether you
agree with his opinion or not. It's especially funny and cracked me up when he go off on somebody.

I was walking around the border of Gravesend and Bensonhurst area when a guy in his late 50s came
up to me and ask for some food or change last winter, he told me he was homeless from Florida and he
haven't eaten anything in two days. And no one here willing to help him.

I know the story was probably 99% bs, but I gave him $5 because he was crying like a baby with tears
falling down his face in front of me. I know many of you probably think I'm being an idiot, but when a
grown man does that, I really can't say no even if he is a scammer. I did not felt threatened by him in
anyway, because I'm pretty sure I can handle an old guy like him or just run away unless he got a gun.
In that case, I'll just give him my wallet.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:14 AM

3,949 posts, read 5,068,835 times
Call CPS and call NYPD.

Who cares if the OP is a native or a transplant. Getting harassed in the street and panhandled for money has no place in any city. There are services for the poor and homeless, and if they have taken as much tax dollars as they could have or flat out refuse and can't live within the rules and regulations of society then they should be reported and hauled off.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:31 PM

11 posts, read 10,754 times
She is obviously a teen that wants money. Call her/her parents up the next time that you need to have your lawn mowed, snow shoveled, what have you.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:58 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,973,914 times
The beggars are out in full force lately. I've seen some aggressive types too. Usually a 70% of the beggars do not appear homeless. It however becomes annoying when it's daily, usually the same people (dressed differently).

Old 02-28-2014, 10:14 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,020,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Forget the contacting of parents or the trying to educate.You shouldn't even have looked at her or uttered the word "no" to her.You should have completely ignored her and kept walking.You engaged her by acknowledging her presence and "request". That's a no no.
I say No to people asking me for money all the time. No one ever gets stupid or out of pocket.

This girl sounds like she was desperate. She might live in a shelter or some other equally poor circumstance.

I just wished she didn't cuss out the OP. It's not a good look, but probably born out of deep frustration.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
The beggars are out in full force lately. I've seen some aggressive types too. Usually a 70% of the beggars do not appear homeless. It however becomes annoying when it's daily, usually the same people (dressed differently).
How is a poverty stricken person in NYC supposed to look?

Old 02-28-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Call CPS and call NYPD.

Who cares if the OP is a native or a transplant. Getting harassed in the street and panhandled for money has no place in any city. There are services for the poor and homeless, and if they have taken as much tax dollars as they could have or flat out refuse and can't live within the rules and regulations of society then they should be reported and hauled off.
Those "services" are garbage. I don't know why everyone believes these people are on 'easy street' with the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City