Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 07:42 AM

4 posts, read 26,457 times

Advertisements

I am moving with my husband in NYC area and we are quite unsure where to stay. I am going to work midtown Manhattan, while my husband will work in new Jersey close to Morristown. We are confused where to stay as some people are saying we should stay in Manhattan to be in the heart of NYC, while some others have proposed Hoboken. Does anybody have any idea about commuting times, costs etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 08:53 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,473,423 times
Manhatten. you can get a one seat ride to morristown on nj transit

Old 09-06-2013, 08:59 AM

706 posts, read 1,041,882 times
I would go for HoBoken. You are 20 mins away from Midtown NYC - 34th street. An unlimited Path Train ticket is 60.00 or so. You can get off 34th street and walk to your workplace. You will also save a little on tax since NJ tax is lower than NYC.

Also, you need to provide more info. How much are you willing to spend? salary, kids, housing expectations, etc.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:05 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,612,521 times
Depending on what part of Hoboken your commute into midtown can be between 30-45 minutes combing buses with the PATH train. There are also buses across using the tunnels but I personally have no experience so I can't comment on the trip length.

Living in Manhattan has the advantage of being close to work for you but makes things more difficult for your husband. Personally as a single guy I would selfishly look at making things easier for me!

Hoboken is still a good middle ground choice. Another option is down here in Jersey City. Same lower cost advantage of Hoboken but a bit quieter and less. Neighborhoods around Newport or Grove St PATH stations which gives you connection into the city as far north as 34th st.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:16 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Manhatten. you can get a one seat ride to morristown on nj transit
Morristown line trains end in Hoboken.....Midtown Direct goes to New York.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:39 AM

295 posts, read 281,479 times
I live in Manhattan and commute to NJ a few towns further out from Morristown. Depending on where you are in Manhattan, “close to Morristown” can be 50-70 minutes away. It’s a reverse commute, so the traffic’s not horrible but there are a few choke points and the occasional really bad day. The big pain is finding parking when I come home. I usually find a place without too much fuss, but it can be hell. The toll into the city is currently $10.25 with EZ Pass and if for some reason your husband uses the NJ Turnpike there are tolls for that, too. Another $50 or so a week for gas (@ 25 mpg). This can be mitigated somewhat if your husband has the option of working from home one or more days a week. Plus whatever more you’ll be paying in insurance and upkeep. So your husband’s looking at > $400 a month to commute out to NJ. If you have an additional $425 a month you can get a parking spot in a garage.

All that being said, I enjoy living in Manhattan, as do my wife and daughters and stupid cat, so I put up with it.

Parking in Hoboken is notoriously bad, so I don’t know if that would be much of an improvement over Manhattan unless you have a driveway, garage, or use a parking lot. Of course you won’t be paying the bridge toll so you’ll save a couple hundred $$.

There are trains from the Morristown area into the city, so another option would be living closer to Morristown. Monthly Morristown to Penn Station is $361 so there’s that expense.

In conclusion Hoboken or another place along the PATH system might be your best bet unless you’re really set on living in NYC.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:18 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,927,019 times
Hoboken is as expensive as Manhattan for anything decent.
But it's not Manhattan and therefore may be filed under questionably expensive.

I dislike Hoboken very much but I can see people from elsewhere loving it.

Anyone considering moving there should keep the likelihood of flooding firmly in mind.

There are also tax challenges for anyone working in one place and living in another. The OP should research how that would impact him/her.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:31 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,987 times
Hoboken is a good alternative to Manhattan.

I think it depends more on your lifestyle than what we can tell you, primarily budget and hobbies.

If money is no object, go Manhattan. To save a few bucks and have some extra space, go Hoboken. If you like to eat at new restaurants all the time, Manhattan, although Hoboken has a good amount too. If you have a car, Hoboken. Sports/activities, probably better off in Manhattan. This is all of course, if money is a concern. If you have unlimited funds you can have everything in Manhattan.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:40 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,204,852 times
As far as commute is concerned, it depends on if your husband can commute by train or if it has to be by car. If by car, none of the above -- live in Morristown or any NJ town with good service along the Morris&Essex line. Getting in and out of Hoboken by car is terrible.

Living in Manhattan does hit you with the city income tax, so NJ is likely to be better for tax purposes (you'll essentially pay NYS tax on the NY income and the slightly lower NJ tax on the NJ income, but no NYC tax). But Hoboken is a worse total commute than, say, Midtown West.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:41 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
I would choose Jersey City, and specifically Newport. The exit route to Morristown is easier...straight out 1&9 (which runs through Newport) onto Interstate 78 and Rte 24 direct to Morristown. It is more convenient than getting out of Hoboken.

For you, there is a PATH train right on site for a quick trip into Manhattan (33rd and Sixth Ave.). If you live in most of Hoboken it is usually either a bus or a long walk to the train. Garaged parking is a lot cheaper in Newport than anywhere near the Hoboken PATH station.

Having your husband drive in and out of Manhattan via the tunnels would be a neverending traffic nightmare...think of the awful expense of divorce or psychiatric treatment.

The ONLY reason to live in Manhattan is if you both work there.

I lived in Jersey City for many years and ALL my social life was in Manhattan. In fact, it was easier for me to get to the theater, the Village, the Financial District, or Chelsea from Jersey City than it is for me now on the Upper East Side of Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City