Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 10:41 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times

Advertisements

What is the best way to look for an apartment in Queens Craigslist or a broker? I am not too concerned with paying a broker fee, I just want to find the best value I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 10:46 AM

837 posts, read 2,082,610 times
I think it depends - how familiar are you with Queens (and specific neighborhoods/streets)? A good Broker can help determine if a particular neighborhood/street is a good fit for you.

Just like anything else, you're more "on-your-own" with Craigslist. You are your own Real Estate Apartment Broker.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:16 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
I think it depends - how familiar are you with Queens (and specific neighborhoods/streets)? A good Broker can help determine if a particular neighborhood/street is a good fit for you.

Just like anything else, you're more "on-your-own" with Craigslist. You are your own Real Estate Apartment Broker.
I agree with the above.

If you are interested in a particular neighborhood, it is good to use a broker whose office is located in that neighborhood as they will be knowledgeable about the best fit for you of what is available in the area.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:36 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
I am very familiar with NYC and Queens in particular, in fact I work in the industry. But this is the first time I am on the other side of the deal. And I must say, I am lost.

I have looked on craigslist, and I dont see enough of what I want. I dont think craigslist is very good for queens. But as Queens is quite ethnically segregated, I am sure there is housing stock available only to certain sectors. I know exactly where I want to though, but I dont know how to get into that area or get into contact with the right people. In fact, craigslist does not break up Queens into the different neighborhoods.

I am trying to stay very close to Flushing. I am thinking on the other side of the FMCP in Corona or even Elmhurst.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:16 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I am very familiar with NYC and Queens in particular, in fact I work in the industry. But this is the first time I am on the other side of the deal. And I must say, I am lost.

I have looked on craigslist, and I dont see enough of what I want. I dont think craigslist is very good for queens. But as Queens is quite ethnically segregated, I am sure there is housing stock available only to certain sectors. I know exactly where I want to though, but I dont know how to get into that area or get into contact with the right people. In fact, craigslist does not break up Queens into the different neighborhoods.

I am trying to stay very close to Flushing. I am thinking on the other side of the FMCP in Corona or even Elmhurst.
Click on Queens and then type the neighborhood you want into the search box. If it brings up too many results that you're not interested in, click on the box next to the word title. Like this http://newyork.craigslist.org/search...pe=&srchType=T

I agree with posters above who say that if you know which neighborhood you want, find a local broker, or a few local brokers to work with. I live in a Queens neighborhood and I am quite sure 90% of the apartments that are for rent here never make it onto craigslist. Craigslist is slim pickings. I am on a neighborhood yahoo list where a few brokers post, and I see many apartments for rent that never go on craigslist.

As much as we consumers complain about all the scams and craziness on craigslist, I think it's the same on the other end for the brokers and people advertising things for sale/rent. For them, posting on craigslist can bring out unreliable people and waste-of-time emails they have to sift through. So it makes sense that if the brokers can rent their properties through word of mouth, storefront real estate offices and limited places like yahoo group lists, that they will never end up using craigslist.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:19 PM

Here is the same type of search for Elmhurst new york all apartments classifieds "elmhurst" - craigslist

Old 09-07-2013, 07:58 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
For Forest Hills listings, go to Kraham Realty along Queens Blvd.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:44 PM

38 posts, read 65,487 times
1) please be careful on Craig's List. There are a lot of kooks out there.
2) if you decide to gothe broker route, find one broker who has been recommended by someone you know and trust. All brokers have access to the same listings - you want to find one who is knowledgable and trustworthy and experienced. If you are working with multiple brokers, rather than being loyal to one, they may not make you a priority,

Old 09-07-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChome View Post
All brokers have access to the same listings ,
I am not sure this is true in Queens. At least it doesn't seem to be true in my neighborhood. It appears that some brokers have exclusive listings. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how it looks to me.

I agree that craigslist can be a minefield and there are many unscrupulous people out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City