U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 04:25 PM

501 posts, read 291,624 times
Default Verizon forcing switch to FiOS when there are service problems

This doesn't get much attention in the news, but Verizon is now refusing to fix their copper wire lines and insisting customers switch to FiOS. My phone line went out of service in June. A repairman came and didn't do anything but try to sell me FiOS. I said no, and then two days later I got a FedEx letter saying by my refusal to "upgrade" my service Verizon will terminate my service. I contacted the Public Service Commission which ignored multiple complaints. As I have other phone options I did not switch to FiOS and Verizon did indeed terminate my service. I don't want FiOS for a number of reasons but I think this practice is basically extortion to force an unwanted product on customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 04:35 PM

755 posts, read 1,254,484 times
I would kill to have FiOS in my neigborhood.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:39 PM

6,446 posts, read 10,807,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
No need,it's very,very overrated.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
I read that Verizon is not rolling out FiOS to new areas. It must not be selling as expected or not be cost effective. That can only mean that they will need to recoup their losses and make it profitable with rate increases and it might be an outdated technology in the future.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:29 PM

6,446 posts, read 10,807,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I read that Verizon is not rolling out FiOS to new areas. It must not be selling as expected or not be cost effective. That can only mean that they will need to recoup their losses and make it profitable with rate increases and it might be an outdated technology in the future.
Already outdated as far as I can tell.I tried it when it came into my building but it was a big disappointment.
I switched back to cablevision.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:47 PM

8,752 posts, read 9,036,887 times
I have FIOS and it is significantly better than Cablevision..the TV quality is noticably better, and my internet connection is faster as well. And the customer service is far better as well. I am more than satisfied and very happy I was able to leave Cablevision...they truly suck!

Old 09-09-2013, 09:08 PM

9,958 posts, read 17,649,494 times
After Sandy, they wired all the buildings around here for Fios. I never switched, I stayed with Time Warner. I know plenty of people that are switching to Fios to take advantage of that first year rate. But we still have no intercom service in our buildings because of Sandy, the intercom system was connected to your phone. If anybody is familiar with the intercoms in Rochdale Village, thats what we have too.
And some copper wire around our way got destroyed so we haven't had a working intercom for the buildings in almost a year.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-10-2013, 01:26 AM

In my case, the account they wanted to switch to FiOS was phone service only, not Internet or TV which I get other places. I was not going to have them install a large piece of equipment INSIDE my home just for a phone line.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:40 AM
Status: "Payin respect to Joe Sample (RIP)." (set 3 days ago)

427 posts, read 316,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
This doesn't get much attention in the news, but Verizon is now refusing to fix their copper wire lines and insisting customers switch to FiOS. My phone line went out of service in June. A repairman came and didn't do anything but try to sell me FiOS. I said no, and then two days later I got a FedEx letter saying by my refusal to "upgrade" my service Verizon will terminate my service. I contacted the Public Service Commission which ignored multiple complaints. As I have other phone options I did not switch to FiOS and Verizon did indeed terminate my service. I don't want FiOS for a number of reasons but I think this practice is basically extortion to force an unwanted product on customers.
Same thing happened to me. Got internet from other provider, satellite TV service, & told them to kick rocks.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:55 AM

10,971 posts, read 9,935,567 times
I have had Comcast, RCN, Liberty Cable (microwave,) Verizon copper, DSL...

For the last 2.5 years I have Verizon FIOS Triple Play and I feel like I died and went to Heaven. I renegotiated after the one year DEAL and got a new 2 year deal with even BETTER terms. If you CAN get it DO get it.

When I moved in the old copper phone connections were painted shut. It is connected to such a maze of spaghetti in the basement I doubt that Houdini could figure it out anymore and I really doubt the system is functional. My huge building seems to be split 50-50 between Time Warner and FIOS with FIOS gaining slowly. And of course, separate copper phone would have added markedly to my cost, and God only knows the service charges to get the antiquated system up and running.

(Time Warner gave us a bulk perma-package deal long ago that remains in force, so that is a good bargaining point. Having TWO wires sticking into your apartment gives you quite a bit of leverage and I used it like Thor's hammer.)

We didn't even lose phone service, internet or TV for a moment during Sandy, although almost everyone we tried to call had no phone service.

The BIG selling point is that Verizon is plain and simple CHEAPER than Time Warner...the good dependable service is all gravy.

<I tried to upgrade Time Warner TV for a friend and after spending an hour on the phone with some dimwit my only response on hanging up was "You GOTTA be kidding me." She has no FIOS option, only RCN.>

One warning with Verizon FIOS...go over that first bill with a magnifying glass. Their billing department is the pits, by accident or design, and they will try to overcharge you. Be diligent and you will get back all you are entitled to but it will be SEVERAL phone calls. Make sure you understand EVERYTHING before you call so they can't razzle-dazzle you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City