Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 12:15 PM

863 posts, read 1,128,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
The atomic bombs are beyond anything any of us can possibly imagine. However you do realize that doing that prevented probably well over a million people from dying when all would have been said and done right?
I'm well aware of that story. Doesn't excuse that plenty of innocents were killed. If someone did that here, those responsible would be prosecuted for war crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 12:58 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,222,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4 fan View Post
Ouch. You really burned me with those insults .

What I love about this post is that it, yet again, shows your hypocrisy (and immaturity). You've earlier said to another poster:

...and then wrote this above about innocent Muslims (READ: people who didn't do anything to anyone just like the people at the Trade Center):

It's interesting that an avid reader, such as yourself, can't understand the simple definition of hypocrisy. Wouldn't the 2nd quote above make you a hypocrite? What's even more interesting is that you justify the mass murder of 200,000+ innocents in a civilian Japanese city over a couple of thousand in TWO naval cities. Yeah, the attack on Pearl Harbor was wrong, but the response was even worse. Of course, by your logic, those 200,000+ deserved it because their government decided to go to war with 'us.' So yeah, please do tell me how you're not a "typical self-centered American" as well.

Now what's your idea of "American values?" Does it involve caring about people? It sure doesn't seem like you do (unless they're Americans or allies...the rest, although some are innocent, can go to hell, right?). I'm also sorry to say that you enjoying watching people (in this case, Muslims) getting slaughtered sounds as sick as the Islamic extremists you condemn. I can tell you what I think about some of our values, but then you'd probably call me a terrorist or tell me to leave the country. You wouldn't be the only one. That's the typical response of a self-centered, overly patriotic citizen who thinks America can do no wrong. No, I do not hate America; I'm just a realist.

Oh, and I love cartoons! Regular Show is one of my favorites! Good call on the RS4 reference as well.
We can do this all day. You love everyone, I hate everyone. My country should have the biggest baddest weapons and use them whenever necessary, f*ck everyone else. I'm bored bro, I responded to you days ago. I'd rather talk about Audis to be honest...

Old 09-20-2013, 01:06 PM

863 posts, read 1,128,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY...DirtyStayOut View Post
We can do this all day. You love everyone, I hate everyone. My country should have the biggest baddest weapons and use them whenever necessary, f*ck everyone else. I'm bored bro, I responded to you days ago. I'd rather talk about Audis to be honest...
...and I'm responding back. This was my first day back on since then.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:42 AM

88,531 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Gloria is NOT a good example. It was a poorly defined Category 1 by the time it hit our area. It made landfall on Long Island with the strongest winds of 85 mph on the Eastern side of the storm.
It is likely NYC was hit by much weaker winds than that.

I am reasonably certain that a good Cat 4 storm's hit onto Sandy Hook would have brought both towers down.

These were the same PA engineers that designed a 60 ton suspended ceiling in the then new PATH tower over the Journal Square station.
It fell down crushing 2 and injuring a dozen. No wind needed, just incompetence and penny pinching design.
No, it wasn't the "same engineers", but JSTC was definitely incompetence, IMO. The problem with the JSTC ceiling was that the suspension apparatus holding up the ceiling were the wrong size for the weight of the ceiling. Several of them had broken under the weight, and when maintenance engineers went up to take a look at them, their weight was the last straw. The remaining cables all broke in sequence like a zipper opening and the ceiling came down. The architect of record had signed off on drawings that included incorrect calculations. If I remember correctly, he was an outside consultant, not a PA engineer, but no one during the construction phase ever caught the error, either. If it had happened a little earlier during rush hour, a lot more people would have been dead.

I guess we'll never know if a Cat 4 hurricane would have brought the towers down or not, but that does remind me of a story I once heard when I was working in the WTC back in the 80s. I worked with a lot of engineers at the time who had been present for the building of the towers in the 60s. One of them told me that they'd sent the model to a place in Arizona that did wind tunnel testing and simulated the worst storm predictable for lower Manhattan (The "200-year-storm" or whatever they called it.) The towers fell down every time. So they sent it to another wind-tunnel facility in Japan, and at that facility, they stayed up, so they built. I don't know how true that story is or if it's some kind of engineering urban legend, and most of those engineers have long died or retired into the sunset, but your post made me remember that.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:59 AM

8,038 posts, read 10,629,469 times
I think it's dangerous for us to let the "raw" memory of that day fade away.

I make myself listen to the phone calls each year - the ones from the victims to their families and to the 911 switchboard. These remind me that it was much more than some "historical event". These make it painfully human again, and I think it's important that we remember that.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Gloria is NOT a good example. It was a poorly defined Category 1 by the time it hit our area. It made landfall on Long Island with the strongest winds of 85 mph on the Eastern side of the storm.

I am reasonably certain that a good Cat 4 storm's hit onto Sandy Hook would have brought both towers down.
Not sure about winds, but the World Trade Center would be surrounded by the Hudson River on all four sides in the event of a Cat 4 Hurricane. Sandy flooded the World Trade Center, a Cat 4 hurricane would be far worse. Sand was probably equivalent to a Cat 2 hurricane by storm surge. It was a weird beast of a storm, with a wind speed barely passing a Cat 1 threshold, but the pressure of a Cat 3, creating more storm surge than expected from the winds alone.

Death toll of a Cat 4 hurricane hitting the World Trade Center should be low even if the winds destroyed it as the entire Lower Manhattan should be evacuated and empty of people (realistically that won't happen, but hopefully almost all would have left). The hurricane would have a very specific track for the worst of the winds to hit Lower Manhattan.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:11 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Quote:

These were the same PA engineers that designed a 60 ton suspended ceiling in the then new PATH tower over the Journal Square station.
It fell down crushing 2 and injuring a dozen. No wind needed, just incompetence and penny pinching design.
Dear lord, please tell me this one kidding. (1000x if he's serious).

The two planes that crashed into the towers weighed 10x more than the bomber that crashed into the ESB; they were traveling at speeds in excess of 470 mph. No building could survive that.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:13 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Quote:

The two planes that crashed into the towers weighed 10x more than the bomber
that crashed into the ESB; they were traveling at speeds in excess of 470 mph.
No building could survive that.
But the engineers SAID they could...they lied I order to build two towers higher than possible. Perhaps they had small penises.

"Those who do not listen to the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them." Over and Over and Over again.

Port Authority incompetence is the stuff of legend.

Quote:

I think it's dangerous for us to let the "raw" memory of that day fade
away.
Worry not, soon enough there will be even "rawer" memories to replace it.
A big fly in the ointment of living in NYC is that it has become a natural target, as worrisome as San Francisco and Los Angeles' worries about an earthquake. My biggest fear is a nuclear weapon aboard a ship in the harbor or sailing up the Hudson or the release of a horrific biological weapon.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:57 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,112 times
Quote:

Worry not, soon enough there will be even "rawer" memories to replace it.
A big fly in the ointment of living in NYC is that it has become a natural target, as worrisome as San Francisco and Los Angeles' worries about an earthquake. My biggest fear is a nuclear weapon aboard a ship in the harbor or sailing up the Hudson or the release of a horrific biological weapon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City