Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 06:57 AM

4 posts, read 6,134 times

Advertisements

I'm not from N.Y.C. and I'm doing a project on N.Y.C. Since you guys really helped me on a project on L.A., I thought of asking your opinion on neighborhoods of New York.

My main dilemma is with the neighborhood area which seems to contain the following smaller neighborhoods: Inwood, Washington Heights, Sugar Hill, Hamilton Heights, Manhattanville, Morningside Heights. I found in one source that this area is called North Manhattan. But I am not entirely convinced it is a good, legit name.

For example, West Village, Noho, East Village, TriBeCa, SoHo, Financial District and so on, is indeed regognized as Downtown. Is this North Manhattan area refered to under another, better known name?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 07:41 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Uptown or Upper Manhattan

Old 09-11-2013, 07:50 AM

72 posts, read 130,259 times
Yeah, Upper Manhattan is good.

Don't forget the neighborhood Hudson Heights - some people call that name bogus because supposedly it was coined by the real estate brokers, but having lived in the neighborhood for several years, I think it's legitimate.

South border: 181st street
North border: Fort Tryon park
East border: Broadway
West border: the Hudson river

If you stand on the big rock in Bennett Park, you're standing on the highest natural point in Manhattan (aside from in the trees!).

Old 09-12-2013, 06:19 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
Uptown. Coincides with Downtown and Midtown. It includes Harlem, which happens to be missing from your list of neighborhoods.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:02 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,762,507 times
I wouldn't include Morningside Heights in any definition of Upper Manhattan. The area is demographically different than Harlem, Washington Heights, and Inwood -- wealthier and whiter and very much like the Upper West Side.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:10 AM

4 posts, read 6,134 times
Thank you so much for your answers, you guys.

I seem to encounter other dilemma regarding Midtown, Manhattan. I found refferals to "Midtown South" area, between 23rd and 42nd st. Do people know it as such? And if so, how is the rest of the generally known Midtown named? Does it keep the Midtown name or are there other names for those remaining bits of the bigger Midtown area?

Thank you in advance.

P.S: I'll make sure to rate positively all the answers that help me with my project research.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:35 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Uptown. Coincides with Downtown and Midtown. It includes Harlem, which happens to be missing from your list of neighborhoods.
FWIW, the original list seemed to only include Upper Manhattan neighborhoods on the West Side (notice that East Harlem is missing as well). I don't know if they intentionally assigned the OP neighborhoods along the West Side or what the story is there.

But yeah, northern Manhattan is Upper Manhattan/Uptown, as was mentioned. There's no further term to describe the areas along the west side (though some people tried to pass off the area by CCNY as the UWS. SMH).

Old 09-17-2013, 05:08 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,982,492 times
for your list i prefer "upper manhattan" over "uptown". nothing is really written in stone, but i'll commonly hear uptown include things like the UWS around 96th street which was not in your list, but i rarely heard upper manhattan include anything south of morningside heights

whether or not upper manhattan includes morningside is a toss up. i don't, i use 125th as the dividing line but a lot of people use columbia or even the northern border of central park. certainly morningside heights is more like the UWS than it is like harlem, although with columbia now spilling over 125th maybe common usage will change

Old 09-17-2013, 07:16 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Demographics shouldn't be used to describe a geographical area. Traditionally 110th is where upper Manhattan begins on the west side and 96th on the east side.

20 years ago most of Inwood was Irish and seems to be headed back that way. But it is still in upper Manhattan. Many of the buildings in Morningside Heights from Broadway to Riverside are owned by Columbia, others are cooped. There are few rentals for people not affiliated with Columbia. This doesn't change the fact that it is in upper Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City