Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 03:12 PM

70 posts, read 238,173 times

Advertisements

For months, I've noticed this one particular woman in my Brooklyn neighborhood. Amongst the self-absorbed moms and pretentious hipsters, she's easy to spot: overweight, puffs on a cigarette all day, hacks this disgusting throaty cough and spits on the sidewalk. She also asks for money.

About a year ago I was unemployed (living off savings, not government checks) for about 2 months and saw her almost everyday. This week, I took off from work to run some errands and noticed her go into a low-income housing unit several blocks away from me. I don't like to judge, and I have enough faith in people that I assume those who live in low-income housing were just born with poor luck and are honestly trying to make a living for themselves and family.... but am I too naive? Is this nasty woman (who's clearly unemployed) the norm of the people who live here?

I know that projects are ****ty places to be, but man, it's discouraging to think that I'm busting my ass 10+ hours to day at my job and still paying full price rent. I pay much less than all my friends and I still feel like I'm scraping by most days. Please tell me something that won't make me feel like a prick when I think of poor folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 03:19 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
I feel like that too but I don't want to live like that,
even if it is harder to work and pay for the same or
less accomodations and things that some of them
get for little or nothing and take for granted.

it doesn't make sense but what does anyway?

Old 09-11-2013, 03:34 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,321 times
Hate to ruin your day but this happens a lot. Not all are like that but you can find just about every type of hustle known to man with some of the poor, this is the reason I don't readily give to a beggar on the street. I can usually spot them.

There's one old woman who at a nearby fast food restaurant will hold the door open for those coming in and out, she expects money and if you don't give her any she proceeds to cuss you under her breath. I know more than likely she's getting a social security check and probably lives in low income housing. Now on the other hand I met an older woman who told me her SSI check didn't cover the rent and her son has to assist her in paying the rent (her son didn't live with her). Sadly she has to go shop for food buying mostly sale items otherwise she could barely eat. She needs and deserves lower income housing, not those who have enough money to get by but only want to be greedy by begging on the streets.

Years ago when I was working I always wanted to know what made people tick. I would ask the prostitutes why were they out there. Some were out there trying to survive even though they received government assistance. Some even had college degrees and worked themselves through school by hooking and once they attained their degree they didn't enter into their chosen professions but continued to hook because they liked the money. In the mornings they would drive off in their cars to where ever in the city they lived.

I also used to see those begging in the streets holding up signs w/ their kids in tow, lying saying they were homeless and starving while they lived in government paid hotels in Manhattan.

OP you just never know, some are legit and then some are duping people. Good and bad always existed and it's not going away anytime soon. This expensive city can bring out the worse in people unfortunately.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Hate to ruin your day but this happens a lot. Not all are like that but you can find just about every type of hustle known to man with some of the poor, this is the reason I don't readily give to a beggar on the street. I can usually spot them.

There's one old woman who at a nearby fast food restaurant will hold the door open for those coming in and out, she expects money and if you don't give her any she proceeds to cuss you under her breath. I know more than likely she's getting a social security check and probably lives in low income housing. Now on the other hand I met an older woman who told me her SSI check didn't cover the rent and her son has to assist her in paying the rent (her son didn't live with her). Sadly she has to go shop for food buying mostly sale items otherwise she could barely eat. She needs and deserves lower income housing, not those who have enough money to get by but only want to be greedy by begging on the streets.

Years ago when I was working I always wanted to know what made people tick. I would ask the prostitutes why were they out there. Some were out there trying to survive even though they received government assistance. Some even had college degrees and worked themselves through school by hooking and once they attained their degree they didn't enter into their chosen professions but continued to hook because they liked the money. In the mornings they would drive off in their cars to where ever in the city they lived.

I also used to see those begging in the streets holding up signs w/ their kids in tow, lying saying they were homeless and starving while they lived in government paid hotels in Manhattan.

OP you just never know, some are legit and then some are duping people. Good and bad always existed and it's not going away anytime soon. This expensive city can bring out the worse in people unfortunately.
It's such a shame, I wish there was a way to weed out the cheats so the people who genuinely need assistance can stay. The others don't deserve to be here.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:37 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elletee View Post
For months, I've noticed this one particular woman in my Brooklyn neighborhood. Amongst the self-absorbed moms and pretentious hipsters, she's easy to spot: overweight, puffs on a cigarette all day, hacks this disgusting throaty cough and spits on the sidewalk. She also asks for money.

About a year ago I was unemployed (living off savings, not government checks) for about 2 months and saw her almost everyday. This week, I took off from work to run some errands and noticed her go into a low-income housing unit several blocks away from me. I don't like to judge, and I have enough faith in people that I assume those who live in low-income housing were just born with poor luck and are honestly trying to make a living for themselves and family.... but am I too naive? Is this nasty woman (who's clearly unemployed) the norm of the people who live here?
Where is "here"? NYC?

Quote:
I know that projects are ****ty places to be, but man, it's discouraging to think that I'm busting my ass 10+ hours to day at my job and still paying full price rent. I pay much less than all my friends and I still feel like I'm scraping by most days. Please tell me something that won't make me feel like a prick when I think of poor folks.
No, you shouldn't feel like a "prick", because of "poor people".

You should feel like a "prick", if:

A) You voted for Obama
B) You voted for Clinton
C) You voted for de Blasio
D) You are a Liberal, Progressive and/or a Democrat
E) You swallowed the propaganda and think FDR (who created welfare and most social programs) was a great president.
F) You think Teddy Roosevelt (who instituted the Income Tax) was a great president.
G) You don't realize that many living on government largesse supported by your taxes w/b homeless and living on the streets. Removing the largesse will not equate to those people becoming working, productive and self sufficient. Pre Guiiliiani NYC, had streets FULL of homeless.

So, think of it that you work and your taxes are paid to keeping the city and the streets clean!! Also, if you do not already realize, there is a Conservative inside you straining to come out!

Vote for Lotha!!

Old 09-11-2013, 06:35 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Vote for Lotha!!
Lhota? Please, anybody but him (unfortunately, if you don't want to vote for De Blasio, you're pretty much stuck with him).

Old 09-11-2013, 07:17 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
Politicians can't stop poverty.
Are you kidding?

Old 09-11-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Where is "here"? NYC?
"Here" meaning projects. I guess I had the one closest to me (where I saw the hag-woman) in my mind when I wrote that.

Quote:
No, you shouldn't feel like a "prick", because of "poor people".

You should feel like a "prick", if:

A) You voted for Obama
B) You voted for Clinton
C) You voted for de Blasio
D) You are a Liberal, Progressive and/or a Democrat
E) You swallowed the propaganda and think FDR (who created welfare and most social programs) was a great president.
F) You think Teddy Roosevelt (who instituted the Income Tax) was a great president.
G) You don't realize that many living on government largesse supported by your taxes w/b homeless and living on the streets. Removing the largesse will not equate to those people becoming working, productive and self sufficient. Pre Guiiliiani NYC, had streets FULL of homeless.

So, think of it that you work and your taxes are paid to keeping the city and the streets clean!! Also, if you do not already realize, there is a Conservative inside you straining to come out!

Vote for Lotha!!
Should have known that a post like this would bring out the conservatives. I'm actually a registered Independent as I can see the good and bad of both sides of the political spectrum. Also, all politicians are dicks and I'm reluctant to align with any of them.

Lhota is a candidate I am fairly considering, however last I heard, he actually wants to expand NYCHA. As far as welfare handouts, I can't find any legit information on what he plans to do about this. Any ideas?

Old 09-12-2013, 06:15 AM

5 posts, read 7,363 times
Why are you so worried about how others are living? And why are you so narcissistic enough to search for a pat on the back to make yourself feel better. Say what you mean and what you say. If you have a narrow minded view of "poor folks" that's your business. you must be feeling some way if your asking us to support your opinion. #ijs

Old 09-12-2013, 06:18 AM

5 posts, read 7,363 times
How do you KNOW she's "clearly unemployed"? Do you do her taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City