Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 11:15 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times

Advertisements

We do, it's called behind a large parked car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 03:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,017 times
Default Hello,I am Kate

apple stores, public libraries, penn station

Old 09-14-2013, 10:17 AM

579 posts, read 945,638 times
The lack of public toilets is the result of Giuliani's attempt to "cleanup" the city. Since public toilets were often used by gay men and "straight " closet cases to cruise for and have sex in and for homeless people to wash up, he had many if not all of the bathrooms in parks and subways closed. Rather than enforce the law and keep the bathrooms. Clean and open for public use, the city just closed them. You couldn't tolerate those "horrible people" so everyone had to suffer. Giuliani was such an a$$ .

Old 09-14-2013, 10:30 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,316 times
Barnes & Noble, Port Authority, Grand Central.

At night you can go into any crowded bar.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:44 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Barnes & Noble, Port Authority, Grand Central.

A female friend told me she went into a bar to use the bathrooms recently in Park Slope. She said she felt everyone staring at her as she walked through. She realized as she left she was in a gay bar and the whole place was full of men only. So I guess that's one thing you might want to check from the outside if you're concerned about stares and feeling out of place. Still, she did accomplish her objective.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:39 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post

The problem is you need to be dressed properly in order to do that. A good recommendation regardless.

If only I didn't look like such a NYer I could get into the fancy hotel bathrooms in midtown. They have nice digs !

Old 09-14-2013, 04:22 PM

259 posts, read 368,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi guy View Post
Starbucks is the official de facto public toilet for New York thanks to the handicapped lobby which killed a self cleaning pay public toilet scheme because the cheapest way to do it was to have separate self cleaning toilets for handicapped next to regular self cleaning toilets. Armed with the Americans With Disabilities Act and a 1954 Supreme Court ruling on schools which stated that separate but equal is inherently unequal, they wanted one toilet for all which would have been much more expensive to produce according to the company that wanted to make them. The deal died.
There is one outdoor pay public toilet in Brooklyn on Flatbush Avenue across from the Brooklyn Public Library at Grand Army Plaza. It is wheelchair accessible. I don't know what the story is about that but making public toilets like that available can be done.

I used the bathroom at Penn Station late at night after I got off of a NJ Transit train from Trenton. I was desperate and I knew I couldn't wait until I got home (40 minute subway ride plus waiting gor the train).

Never again. Good thing I happened to have a small pack of Clorox wipes and a travel-sized can of Lysol on me; I used that to sanitize the seat.

If Giuliani had chased away the homeless people, apparently Penn Station didn't get the memo. They are everywhere in the complex including the bathrooms. The rest rooms were dirty and apparently the cleaning crew can't or won't keep up. Next time I'd rather use the facilities at Trenton Transit Center; those are better since the station and the bathrooms have been renovated (and there is a posted 30 minute limit for being in the bathrooms).

Access to the bathrooms at Whole Foods were unrestricted until the last year or so. Now you have to use a code on the receipt to access them. (I wonder what spoilsport prompted Whole Foods to institute that policy.)

The dearth of public restrooms have been an issue for decades. I agree that you should pace yourself if you will be partaking of liquid refreshment and have a plan.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:37 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryanise View Post

The dearth of public restrooms have been an issue for decades. I agree that you should pace yourself if you will be partaking of liquid refreshment and have a plan.
That's the point. Why do I need to limit my fluid intake (summer !) just because my city Gov't doesn't give me a pot to **** in ? That's absolutely ridiculous....especially in NYC where we pay inflated prices for everything.

All you people who make faces at me when I pee on the street can kiss my you know what.

I had no idea about Whole Foods...thanks for the info. The one on 14th has been a lifesaver for me at times. You can always wait for someone to let you in....or maybe someone will be selling bathroom swipes at the door...

Old 09-15-2013, 08:06 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,480 times
NYC Parks, public libraries, and of course churches. Late at night, Starbucks and bars.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:45 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
the NY Hilton at Rock Ctr, The Westin Times Square, Doubletree Suites have good bathrooms

J&R Music World has a row of bathrooms on the lower level of their computer/electronics store

Cosi has decent bathrooms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City