Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 02:05 PM

937 posts, read 1,135,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I guess you missed the part where I said that Thompson would not lose any de Blasio voters to Lhota, but he would get some moderate votes from people (like me) who think de Blasio is too liberal, er I mean "progressive". Capiche? I can't imagine any de Blasio voters changing their vote to Lhota if Thompson is the Democratic candidate.

I would vote for Thompson over Lhota but I would vote Lhota over de Blasio.
I think de Blasio's campaign will move more to the center, so that it resonates with even more NYC residents.

Also, you won't have to worry about de Blasio voters changing to Thompson supporters, because Thompson will not be chosen as the democratic candidate. He simply doesn't have enough votes. The polling, prior to the primary actually showed that De Blasio could very well receive 43% of the vote.

I'm guessing that once those absentee ballots are all counted, he will have at least 42-44% of the vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I agree with you here. De Blasio had a pretty interesting political career. Lhota, not really much beyond being MTA CEO. As for his ties to the Giuliani administration, whole new generations of voters have come, and Giuliani is all washed up and over in politics since his failed bid for President which faired ridiculously poorly.
Actually Lhota was an investment banker at the now defunct Paine Weber (which was acquired by UBS), prior to becoming the MTA CEO.

This should tell the average NYC resident where his loyalties are... WALL STREET...

Old 09-14-2013, 02:29 PM

This election will certainly get even more interesting...

Old 09-14-2013, 02:44 PM

588 posts, read 947,559 times
I'd take Thompson over De Blasio. "Progressive" usually means far-left. Don't worry, Bill D will win anyway.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:12 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proroc View Post
I'd take Thompson over De Blasio. "Progressive" usually means far-left. Don't worry, Bill D will win anyway.
Quinn and de Blasio were claiming that each of them was the most "progressive" candidate. It's better marketing than saying they were the most extreme leftist candidate. What voter could be against progress?

Old 09-14-2013, 03:29 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
Actually Lhota was an investment banker at the now defunct Paine Weber (which was acquired by UBS), prior to becoming the MTA CEO.

This should tell the average NYC resident where his loyalties are... WALL STREET...
NYC being too dependent on Wall Street has hurt NYC big time as far as jobs are concerned. Even Bloomberg would admit that, though he tries hard to mask the extent of it. Now that technology has reshaped Wall Street, there are a lot less jobs and a number of jobs have been relocated out of NYC. With more layoffs pending. Its going to get ugly. Some people on here have tried scare tactics by saying the tax base will flee NYC, but that ALREADY happened under BLOOMBERG! A lot of financial services jobs that paid well were lost, and a lot of new jobs were low paying service sector jobs (with no benefits). The tech sector and film industries added few new jobs to NYC overall.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:16 PM

112 posts, read 262,570 times
I just don't understand why NYC has to wait for the paper ballot votes to be counted for the Democratic votes and NOT the Republican votes. If someone can explain, I would surely appreciate it.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:03 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
NYC being too dependent on Wall Street has hurt NYC big time as far as jobs are concerned. Even Bloomberg would admit that, though he tries hard to mask the extent of it. Now that technology has reshaped Wall Street, there are a lot less jobs and a number of jobs have been relocated out of NYC. With more layoffs pending. Its going to get ugly. Some people on here have tried scare tactics by saying the tax base will flee NYC, but that ALREADY happened under BLOOMBERG! A lot of financial services jobs that paid well were lost, and a lot of new jobs were low paying service sector jobs (with no benefits). The tech sector and film industries added few new jobs to NYC overall.
Very true. That tax base that left under Bloomberg was the Middle Class and to a lower extent working class folks.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:03 PM

518 posts, read 825,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianc0220 View Post
so what makes you think that the people who cast paper ballots are less important than other voters? if de blasio is a good candidate, hes gonna win no matter what. One week head start for Lhota is not that important
Not saying the paper ballot voters are less important people. The point is the 16,000 or so of such voters will not bring Thompson anywhere near 40% and quite probably put de Blasio even more over the 40% he has. Thompson should have man upped and conceded like a good loser because one week wasted does matter in an 8 week campaign. Thompson appears to be schilling for il Principe Bloomberg who, though he claims to endorse no candidate, has publicly and bizarrely expressed disdain for de Blasio.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:11 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
Bloomberg who, though he claims to endorse no candidate, has publicly and bizarrely expressed disdain for de Blasio.
Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that de Blasio openly disdains him, and prides himself on being anti-bloomberg?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City