Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 01:45 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times

Advertisements

DAS, i have to make an correction about the post were i claimed that Colin Powell used the name Crotona Park East in an interview. The man who wanted to use the name i remember now was Ed Koch another who grew up in the area. At the time i was reading a lot about Colin Powell and Ed Koch and was simply confused who had said exactly what. Human error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 05:39 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I consider Claremont from Clay Avenue east to the Concourse.
It would make sense. After clay avenue, you have to go down a very steep long hill to get to webster. It is a natural barrier so to speak. Also claremont should be the neighborhood closer to claremont park, so it makes no sense for the neighborhood around Fulton, Third, etc to get grouped in with claremont when they're literally a block away from crotona park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Exactly. Morrisania is also the oldest neighborhood in the Bronx so declaring any other name as older is nonsense. Morrisania was a huge piece of land owned by the Morris family. Jordan L Mott bought a piece from them in the 1800's and named it Mott Haven.
Also most people agree that Highbridge goes from the 161st to CBE, same boundaries to the east for Concourse, and they're adjacent neighborhoods to morrisania so why does morrisania get broken down into a million neighborhoods but not Highbridge or Concourse?

It drives me nuts with how neighborhoods are broken down now. Mott haven is a 2 block neighborhood now, thanks to Woodstock, foxhurst, north new york lmao

there was a map someone posted (I think from google) that had morrisania literally 2 blocks long and 3 blocks high, yet claremont was 4 times the size. It makes no sense and whoever made these maps have issues.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:23 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
DAS, i have to make an correction about the post were i claimed that Colin Powell used the name Crotona Park East in an interview. The man who wanted to use the name i remember now was Ed Koch another who grew up in the area. At the time i was reading a lot about Colin Powell and Ed Koch and was simply confused who had said exactly what. Human error.
Thank you for pointing this out.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:00 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
The name Claremont has been popping up here on C-D quite a lot recently. It's only natural that it is discussed. The discussion about neighborhood names, subsets, borders, rents etc. are very common on C-D you know. If you think i'm an advocate for the usage of confusing neighborhood names although some of them have an historic connection, you got the wrong man.

As for being insulting, i have a very direct approach which a lot of posters do not like especially the older generation. There is a reason why i have my public visitor message turned off.

Modus vivendi.
I'm very direct as you already know and many readers don't like my direct approach, but I don't like sugar costing issues that can be discussed in respectful ways.

My main point about Morrisania and every other NYC neighborhood is that it has a history. Every single piece of the entire worlds descendants are represented in these 5 boros. All of them put in a lot of hard work. There are many post about the gangsters and the thugs and that past/present. I'm interested in the men and women of good character and what they did to build the city up. What they are continuing to do.

Changing names and adding names to areas is an attempt to erase the past. It is very disturbing when it is done mostly to areas that have been Black and Latino for 50 years or more. I think it is common sense that not everyone in an area could be a gangster or a thug and the area could survive.

If you see old school buildings, libraries, churches, and synagogues in an area it should make people think who lives/lived here? What was it like a few decades ago. Especially when the schools and churches are still in use and never closed. Maybe it's not as many AA's, WI's, and Puerto Ricans now. Maybe Mexican immigrants use that church now, that was a Synagogue in until 1940 and the AA's used it as church until 2005. Maybe a Dominican family operates the laundry now, that the WI family operated for many years. Every neighborhood has a story but if the story is about AA's, WI and Puerto Rican past and it doesn't read like Fort Apache then it didn't exist or it is non existent now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City