U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 10:51 PM

19,606 posts, read 34,699,291 times

Advertisements

Ahh man

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 11:12 AM

2,843 posts, read 3,768,802 times
I don't see it. Bed-Stuy isn't even close to fully gentrified, nor is Crown Heights. Granted, they may both get there, but even then I don't see ENY being gentrified. I think the next destination in Brooklyn is going to be Flatbush from Nostrand westward becuase of there being better trains over there.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:23 AM

12,925 posts, read 8,756,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I don't see it. Bed-Stuy isn't even close to fully gentrified, nor is Crown Heights. Granted, they may both get there, but even then I don't see ENY being gentrified. I think the next destination in Brooklyn is going to be Flatbush from Nostrand westward becuase of there being better trains over there.
ENY not easily gentrified because in the 3 decades that I've been here. People have moved there and moved out because the area is inconvenient from a transit perspective and lots of crime.

There are other places you can't gentrify like Riker's Island.

Location, location, location..

Old 06-23-2015, 12:41 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,487,723 times
A mixture of working/mid/lower classes, retired elderlies, disabled people, psychos and cops. Just your normal, tough black neighborhood in america.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:27 PM

2,188 posts, read 1,848,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
ENY not easily gentrified because in the 3 decades that I've been here. People have moved there and moved out because the area is inconvenient from a transit perspective and lots of crime.

There are other places you can't gentrify like Riker's Island.

Location, location, location..
A, C, J, L 3, Lirr, and buses run through ENY. How isn't it convenient?

Old 06-23-2015, 01:31 PM

10,659 posts, read 8,536,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
A, C, J, L 3, Lirr, and buses run through ENY. How isn't it convenient?
I'd say it has better transportation options than Flatbush.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:32 PM

624 posts, read 755,311 times
Just because all of these developers are speculating on ENY doesn't mean it will take off.

The biggest risk is that people will decide ENY is just too far on the train and not worth the sacrifices in safety and QoL. There are plenty of viable competing neighborhood choices to ENY in Upper Manhattan, Queens, and the Bronx. Even with all of the new development and rising real estate costs it still takes many years for the poor to be pushed out.

Even if ENY doesn't ride the gentrification wave, investors of today still have a chance to make money playing the greater fool game of buying now and selling at a profit while the neighborhood is still full of hype and expectation. Just don't be caught holding the bag if things go sour..

Old 06-23-2015, 01:56 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,374,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
Even with all of the new development and rising real estate costs it still takes many years for the poor to be pushed out.
Once it becomes a government initiative civil services in the area will improve. There will be bigger police presence (NYC is hiring more cops) and they will clean up the area rather quickly with big crime bust to take local thugs to prison. Similar events have happen in other gentrified areas were there is a lot of developers money at stake.

LIC & Astoria Gentrification
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1348526

Harlem Gentrification
More than 100 indicted in Harlem in largest-ever NYC gang bust | Reuters

Old 06-23-2015, 02:36 PM

2,843 posts, read 3,768,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I'd say it has better transportation options than Flatbush.
The J and L are all local and require a transfer to Midtown. The 3 is okay, but the C train is one of the least frequent in the city.

By contrast, The 5 is on Nostrand which is not only express but goes directly to the east side, while the B/Q are short rides to Midtown as well. And there's the 2 on Nostrand along with the 5.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:56 PM

993 posts, read 1,028,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
Just because all of these developers are speculating on ENY doesn't mean it will take off.

The biggest risk is that people will decide ENY is just too far on the train and not worth the sacrifices in safety and QoL. There are plenty of viable competing neighborhood choices to ENY in Upper Manhattan, Queens, and the Bronx. Even with all of the new development and rising real estate costs it still takes many years for the poor to be pushed out.
If you only envision workplaces in Manhattan, ok then. But downtown Brooklyn's becoming a corporate/media/arts downtown office center for white-collar. And if/when the Atlantic Avenue corridor gets re-developed for manufacturing, as DiBlasio is pushing to have industries re-occupy those vacant warehouses, that'll be new jobs for skilled labor already living and underemployed in all these neighborhoods.

Employ the people already living there with new decent-paying jobs is a much different way of thinking than "pushing poor people out."

If that all happens in commercial and industrial sectors, then ENY is not "too far by train" to reside, for white collar and re-employed blue-collar commuters.

And I'd love to see it happen. If that kind of development leapfrogs first over partially-gentrified BedStuy and CrownHeights to ENY, then I'd hope for back-fill=in for BedStuy and Crown Heights, continuing those improvements and ultimately connecting Western to Eastern Brooklyn by trains already in place.

Let people live, work, dine, raise a family on a middleclass salary, and recreate all in Brooklyn. Go to Manhattan just for museums and parades. That'd be fine.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 06-23-2015 at 03:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City