U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 03:58 PM

10,658 posts, read 8,531,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
The J and L are all local and require a transfer to Midtown. The 3 is okay, but the C train is one of the least frequent in the city.

By contrast, The 5 is on Nostrand which is not only express but goes directly to the east side, while the B/Q are short rides to Midtown as well. And there's the 2 on Nostrand along with the 5.
The A is express to Lower Manhattan then heads up to Midtown.

The J/Z is skip stop.

The L has been synonymous with gentrification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 06:01 PM

286 posts, read 274,367 times
Quote:
I don't see it. Bed-Stuy isn't even close to fully gentrified, nor is Crown Heights. Granted, they may both get there, but even then I don't see ENY being gentrified. I think the next destination in Brooklyn is going to be Flatbush from Nostrand westward becuase of there being better trains over there.
It won't be gentrified to the extent of other north Brooklyn neighborhoods but the current residents will be pushed out for higher income people in the next coming years, eastern Bed-Stuy is already at $900k for a gut reno the average rent keeps going up so the market will force people to look further and further out. Even if the neighborhood only goes "middle Class" it still will have gentrified.

The trend isn't going one neighborhood at a time, Flatbush is getting the Crown Heights/Prospect Lefferts Gardens push, Sunset Park is getting the Park Slope/Gowanus Push and Ridgewood is getting the East Williamsburg/Bushwick push. ENY will get the Bed-Stuy/Bushwick push since it borders both and is the next neighborhood down the train line.

Flatbush is already in it, Ditmars Park is a highly sought after neighborhood. East Flatbush is next but is no where near as convenient transit wise as ENY which has 6 subway lines (A,C,3,5,L,J) and the LIRR within it's borders.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:42 PM

2,843 posts, read 3,768,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colombianbeef View Post
It won't be gentrified to the extent of other north Brooklyn neighborhoods but the current residents will be pushed out for higher income people in the next coming years, eastern Bed-Stuy is already at $900k for a gut reno the average rent keeps going up so the market will force people to look further and further out. Even if the neighborhood only goes "middle Class" it still will have gentrified.

The trend isn't going one neighborhood at a time, Flatbush is getting the Crown Heights/Prospect Lefferts Gardens push, Sunset Park is getting the Park Slope/Gowanus Push and Ridgewood is getting the East Williamsburg/Bushwick push. ENY will get the Bed-Stuy/Bushwick push since it borders both and is the next neighborhood down the train line.

Flatbush is already in it, Ditmars Park is a highly sought after neighborhood. East Flatbush is next but is no where near as convenient transit wise as ENY which has 6 subway lines (A,C,3,5,L,J) and the LIRR within it's borders.
The type of people who will buy a 1mil reno in Bed-Stuy aren't going to subject themselves to ENY. Less attractive housing stock, worse commute, and vastly worse social environment (lots more PJs/Social Housing). Flatbush has room to grow more gentrified along with Central Brooklyn. Both will continue to gentrify but the city has plans to keep Brownsville and ENY as a place to house low-income individuals. Remember, alot of ENY was burned down starting the in the late 1960s to late 1970s. Much of the area around the 3 train is not classic BK housing but suburban style homes beginning with the Koch era for very low-income individuals.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:55 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,390,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
Let me put it this way, places like Williamsburg and Park Slope is the Shire, and places like East New York would be Mordor.
This had me cracking up laughing

Old 06-23-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
The type of people who will buy a 1mil reno in Bed-Stuy aren't going to subject themselves to ENY. Less attractive housing stock, worse commute, and vastly worse social environment (lots more PJs/Social Housing). Flatbush has room to grow more gentrified along with Central Brooklyn. Both will continue to gentrify but the city has plans to keep Brownsville and ENY as a place to house low-income individuals. Remember, alot of ENY was burned down starting the in the late 1960s to late 1970s. Much of the area around the 3 train is not classic BK housing but suburban style homes beginning with the Koch era for very low-income individuals.
Bushwick doesn't have the housing stock either and it got burnt down also, and its gentrified even more than Bed Stuy. PJs in Bed Stuy are scattered around and right smack in the middle of the neighborhood, whereas in ENY they are mostly to the far south. Architecture is not even all that bad. Lots of brick rowhouses to choose from.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:29 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,474,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Bushwick doesn't have the housing stock either and it got burnt down also, and its gentrified even more than Bed Stuy. PJs in Bed Stuy are scattered around and right smack in the middle of the neighborhood, whereas in ENY they are mostly to the far south. Architecture is not even all that bad. Lots of brick rowhouses to choose from.
Does this even have meaning anymore? I mean, I've been to bushwick a number of times, and I gotta tell ya, it wasn't looking too hot for a "gentrification hotspot."

Old 06-23-2015, 07:34 PM

2,188 posts, read 1,847,551 times
Quote:
The J and L are all local and require a transfer to Midtown. The 3 is okay, but the C train is one of the least frequent in the city.

By contrast, The 5 is on Nostrand which is not only express but goes directly to the east side, while the B/Q are short rides to Midtown as well. And there's the 2 on Nostrand along with the 5.
See Gdale's response, along with that there's always a 4 waiting for me at Utica to get me to the east side, or I can transfer @ Fulton if I need to get to the West quicker. I'm two stops south of Crown Heights-Utica and it doesn't take me a long to get into the city at all.

But I doubt my hood will see gentry, lol.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
Does this even have meaning anymore? I mean, I've been to bushwick a number of times, and I gotta tell ya, it wasn't looking too hot for a "gentrification hotspot."
It has better train service, higher median rent and a lower crime rate than Bed Stuy.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:15 PM

286 posts, read 274,367 times
Looks like they're not afraid of the neighborhood anymore.

“We see in East New York the same underserved and neglected community that Bushwick was ten years ago. Bushwick hasn’t always been known for its arts scene,” Andrew explains. “When we first began programing in Bushwick the crime rate was much higher than the number of coffee shops, bars and galleries!”

Bushwick Arts Organization Norte Maar, Has Moved to East New York | Bushwick Daily
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City