Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 12:15 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
Also FYI: The South is not the African American ancestral home. African American's have ancestry primarily based in West Africa (i.e. Nigeria, Senegal, Gambia, etc). Slaves were however taken from their true ancestral land in West Africa to work the cotton fields of the South.
Many blacks who move from NY to the South feel their "emotional and spiritual roots" are in the South. For New Life, Blacks in City Head to South

I have ancestors who set up a mill several generations ago in Quebec. The mill is still there. I could conceivably call this my ancestral home, even though those ancestors immigrated from France to Quebec many many years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 12:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
As for where blacks are moving, it's a diverse group of destinations. Some are moving to the suburbs; the black population is growing in the parts of Long Island and Westchester just over the border from Queens and the Bronx, as well as on Staten Island (effectively a suburb and the only borough where the black population grew).
Actually, technically, the Bronx saw a slight growth in its black population from 2000-2010. (It was something like 0.1%).

Old 09-15-2013, 12:52 PM

937 posts, read 1,134,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Many blacks who move from NY to the South feel their "emotional and spiritual roots" are in the South. For New Life, Blacks in City Head to South
"Emotional and spiritual roots," are not the same as, ancestral roots.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:58 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
"Emotional and spiritual roots," are not the same as, ancestral roots.
Did you read the rest of my post?

I guess all you're interested in is splitting hairs. Go for it then.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:24 PM

937 posts, read 1,134,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Did you read the rest of my post?

I guess all you're interested in is splitting hairs. Go for it then.
My point is, African Americans know the region where their ancestors originated from, and it's West Africa, not the South.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:26 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
I've met a far number of Puerto Ricans when I go to Los Angeles. Honestly, people go wherever they can find jobs. Other Hispanic and Black groups also leave the city, just like other groups of people, according to where they go to college or where they get jobs. I have a Black friend who lives in Alaska. Everyone goes everywhere these days, people are stereotyping a bit here.

I think CityGirl is right, the poorest Blacks or the poorest of any other group remain in NYC in the housing projects or on other government programs. In the rest of the country you generally have to drive everywhere, and it doesn't make much sense to leave NYC just to get a minimum wage job elsewhere. The people who move are either skilled working class or professional. And since a lot of middle class jobs have left NYC, so too have a lot of middle class and educated people. In many areas, they were replaced either by people on programs, and/or people who work in the low paid retail/service sector.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:57 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
They are moving south in large numbers because that's where some of the lower mid-skilled jobs are. Toyota, Hyundai, Honda and Kia have all put up big assembly facilities there paying $19 to $20/hr. During the pre-WW2 years, Italian and eastern European immigrants moved to Ohio because that is where the industrial activity was located. Nothing complicated with that.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
They are moving south in large numbers because that's where some of the lower mid-skilled jobs are. Toyota, Hyundai, Honda and Kia have all put up big assembly facilities there paying $19 to $20/hr. During the pre-WW2 years, Italian and eastern European immigrants moved to Ohio because that is where the industrial activity was located. Nothing complicated with that.
Except they have no problem hiring local people for those jobs, for starters. I know people who work in the auto industry in the South. You often have to have an associates or some kind of technical training to do those types of jobs. Its not that low skill, and the employers are actually pretty picky as to who they hire. The Southern states worked with the auto makers to alter curricula at their community colleges so they'd be able to increase the qualified pool of applicants.

I'm not saying no one from NYC is qualified to do those jobs, but in large numbers I seriously doubt that. In part because NYC hasn't had much of an industrial base in decades and certainly not heavy industry like automobile manufacture. Now the effects that these companies have on local job markets probably require them to need additional workers, so what you're saying holds at least some truth.

But the reason why I say some truth is that its really a lot more like earlier generations who came to NYC. Just as white Europeans who used to live in NYC scattered to all corners of the nations, so too are Blacks and Hispanics, and this goes beyond being African American or Puerto Rican.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:55 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Except they have no problem hiring local people for those jobs, for starters. I know people who work in the auto industry in the South. You often have to have an associates or some kind of technical training to do those types of jobs. Its not that low skill, and the employers are actually pretty picky as to who they hire. The Southern states worked with the auto makers to alter curricula at their community colleges so they'd be able to increase the qualified pool of applicants.

I'm not saying no one from NYC is qualified to do those jobs, but in large numbers I seriously doubt that. In part because NYC hasn't had much of an industrial base in decades and certainly not heavy industry like automobile manufacture. Now the effects that these companies have on local job markets probably require them to need additional workers, so what you're saying holds at least some truth.

But the reason why I say some truth is that its really a lot more like earlier generations who came to NYC. Just as white Europeans who used to live in NYC scattered to all corners of the nations, so too are Blacks and Hispanics, and this goes beyond being African American or Puerto Rican.
African Americans have been moving across America since slavery ended in 1865. Some places more promising like the west coast and some places more hostile like the North East region which has plenty of immigrants and its descendents, it forces African Americans to compete with immigrants and migrants.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
African Americans have been moving across America since slavery ended in 1865. Some places more promising like the west coast and some places more hostile like the North East region which has plenty of immigrants and its descendents, it forces African Americans to compete with immigrants and migrants.
Are African Americans really in competition with immigrants? If you're someone who is in and out of jail and working in the warehouse, or the dishroom, perhaps.

But a big portion of NYC's civil servants are African Americans, and these jobs (union, you get pensions and all) are not open to the average low end immigrant). Pretty much anyone who gets them is a citizen, you are required to take civil service exams to get the jobs often, have to pass pretty tight background checks, etc.

I don't know why people try to declare most African Americans invisible and only pretend that housing project African Americans exist.

As for the descendants of immigrants go, we are all descendants of foreigners, African Americans included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City