Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 09:53 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times

Advertisements

Hmm, might you be a professional, non-white, lawyer/fashionista who doesn't like being called "hon", "sweetie" or "sweetheart"??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 09:56 AM

20 posts, read 29,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
April,

I'd be interested to know what your definition of "sexual harasser" is?
A sexual harasser is one who makes unwarranted degrading sexual comments and/or a stranger on the street who begs for my telephone number or a date.

429 posts, read 852,763 times
I don't look at them, I don't acknowledge them and I don't even react. I act as though I'm deaf, dumb and blind. I've gotten some reactions from men where they seem angry that I'm flat-out ignoring their attempts to get my attention.

The only thing that really upsets me is when they "trick" me into acknowledging them. Like, telling me I dropped something, just to get me to acknowledge them or acting like they need directions or something and then asking me why I don't smile more.

It's annoying and I look like a total ***** walking through the streets of manhattan, because I ignore anyone and everyone, but it's the only thing I could do to gain any control over the situation. It's so rude and it makes me uncomfortable, but it happens so frequently now that I just put on my "game face" whenever i have to walk around the city.

259 posts, read 368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Here we go again with race issues
It's a quality of life issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
It's annoying and I look like a total ***** walking through the streets of manhattan, because I ignore anyone and everyone, but it's the only thing I could do to gain any control over the situation. It's so rude and it makes me uncomfortable, but it happens so frequently now that I just put on my "game face" whenever i have to walk around the city.
When I lived in the DC area (I lived in the suburbs and worked downtown), it took a while for me to let my guard down and not assume the worst from strangers who talked to me (including men). People seemed friendlier. Once I moved back here, I had to stop that and the wall went right back up out of necessity.

Moderator cut: Orphaned comment

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-19-2013 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: Orphand comment removed: the post to which yours refers was removed

Old 09-17-2013, 10:01 AM

2 posts, read 3,765 times
Being a long time New Yorker and Black woman it's can be difficult dealing with it! Attend Community Board Meeting for your area about making a better as far as the atmosphere. If you love the neighborhood stick by it.. Ignore people they'll become invisible eventually

Old 09-17-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I can only recommend changing your walking pattern, avoiding certain spots where they hangout or try walking with others.

Another thing most females don't do that makes them easy target is they don't make eye contact. Guys who harass usually very simple minded, they do it for the sport. When you look back at them and give them a stare, they might have 2nd thoughts next time. It doesn't always work but it's worth trying, you just have to get used to it as others have said you can't do anything about it.

Even if you report to the police, they would say only if they confront you and threatens you then they could do something.
I live two blocks from the closest subway. I refuse to take the back streets, because it will add an additional 10 minutes to my commute. Where is NYPD when you need them?

Old 09-17-2013, 10:05 AM

259 posts, read 368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halle NYC View Post
Being a long time New Yorker and Black woman it's can be difficult dealing with it! Attend Community Board Meeting for your area about making a better as far as the atmosphere. If you love the neighborhood stick by it.. Ignore people they'll become invisible eventually
Co-signed.

This article (on street harassment) may be of interest: Why Just Telling Men "No" Doesn't Necessarily Work For Everybody -- And Can Even Be Dangerous

Old 09-17-2013, 10:09 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April_in_September2013 View Post
If I was a white woman, I doubt that you would be providing this advice.
Why would being white matter?

Old 09-17-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
I don't look at them, I don't acknowledge them and I don't even react. I act as though I'm deaf, dumb and blind. I've gotten some reactions from men where they seem angry that I'm flat-out ignoring their attempts to get my attention.

The only thing that really upsets me is when they "trick" me into acknowledging them. Like, telling me I dropped something, just to get me to acknowledge them or acting like they need directions or something and then asking me why I don't smile more.

I put on my "game" face too, but lately I've become irate after recently experiencing a very dangerous encounter. I was jogging with my headphones and didn't realize that one guy started jogging with me. As soon as I saw him approaching, I quickly moved, but he had already reached out and grabbed my arm. I screamed, LET GO Of MY ARM, GET THE HELL AWAY FROM ME!!!!!!!!!! and quickly ran in the opposite direction. That experience really unnerved me, because these guys are possibly capable of taking it a step further and that's why some type of intervention is needed.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Why would being white matter?
I deleted that comment, because it should not matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City