Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 08:46 AM

706 posts, read 1,042,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbelles View Post
Cat-calling is a form of sexual harassment.

And back home, for me dealing with this was almost daily -- sometimes multiple times a day. It seriously wears on you after a while.
cat-calling is not a serious form of sexual harassment. You can also tune out the cat calling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 09:18 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
you don't want a stranger saying anything to
you that he wouldn't say if you were walking
by holding another man's hand i guess.
if you don't know him, you would rather if he
kept his mouth shut period, right?

Old 09-30-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
you don't want a stranger saying anything to
you that he wouldn't say if you were walking
by holding another man's hand i guess.
if you don't know him, you would rather if he
kept his mouth shut period, right?
Agree but you can't expect another human being to behave how you want them to.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:35 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,670,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSurfer View Post
Agree but you can't expect another human being to behave how you want them to.
By this infallible logic, why have laws or try to enforce them? Everyone should be free to do whatever they want because we can't change anyone.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
By this infallible logic, why have laws or try to enforce them? Everyone should be free to do whatever they want because we can't change anyone.
We are talking about catcalling. How are you going to force men to stop catcalling women. This is a form of flirtation that sometimes works.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:16 PM

701 posts, read 1,562,925 times
Cat-calling is not flirtation. Yelling, "Hey baby, I got something you need!" or "Damn, look at that ass!" or "Hey girl, let me come talk to you for a minute." (while you're sitting in a car? You expect me to actually walk over to you? No sir. Stranger danger, hello.), and carrying on with whistling and cackling? Men are not dumb, they know how to flirt correctly. Cat-calling is a show of machismo. The louder the voice, the lewder the comment, the more uncomfortable the woman appears = the greater the ego massage.

Have you noticed how some men turn into complete children when turned down? Throwing tantrums, calling women gendered slurs, saying BS like, "Well, you're ugly anyway!" Because it's not about actually getting to know the woman, it's about keeping up appearances. I've encountered too, too many times where I've been called out my name for not giving a guy attention when he cat-calls me or and even worse when I tell him to stop or leave me alone. Then those men want to call me "stuck-up" or "bougie" or "that I think I'm too good for them"? (Once again, these are all real life experiences) Excuse me for wanting a man who possesses tact and isn't interested in forcing his insecurities upon me in a ply for pity.

Very seldom have I walked past a guy on the street who withdraws when I do not answer, and I've never met a man who has apologized when I told him how rude he was behaving, but that is probably because the men who actually respect women already know not to behave in such a manner.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:29 PM

you're just not interested in being spoken to
by guys you don't know in public. you're not
looking to get picked up. you're not a hood rat.

best thing for them to do is ignore you and
chase a different lady.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
you're just not interested in being spoken to
by guys you don't know in public. you're not
looking to get picked up. you're not a hood rat.

best thing for them to do is ignore you and
chase a different lady.
No, the best thing for them to do is to not engage in that kind of behavior and to understand why women are disgusted by it. I don't want other women to have to continue dealing with this, either.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:24 PM

^ ok for you but what about all the women who like it?

everyone is different, including females. you can't expect
people to do what you think is apropriate all the time.
that's living in a dream world.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:29 PM

Sure, some women feel empowered by a, "Hey beautiful" every once in a while and some might like a "Hey pretty girl, you look good.", but let's not pretend comments like those are the norm. In the end, women want to be treated like women. Like human beings, not objects. To have the same respect shown to them as a man shows another man. Much of the comments women receive walking down the street are very disrespectful.

Here is a link to a wonderful non-profit organization that deals directly with ending street harassment. It also features multiple stories of women of all types who are tired of dealing with this issue. And if I am not mistaken, the non-profit was founded in New York City: Hollaback! You have the power to end street harassment (HollaBack!)

And another: The New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault (New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City