Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 07:19 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by April_in_September2013 View Post
If the woman in your "story" was white, Asian or Hispanic, I'm sure she would have your full fledged sympathy. But how dare a black woman demand respect!!!
Haven't you heard? We're the lowest of the low, our bodies are public property, and we should be honored to have that street scum giving us their attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 07:29 PM

20 posts, read 29,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Haven't you heard? We're the lowest of the low, our bodies are public property, and we should be honored to have that street scum giving us their attention.
And if we dare speak out, we are the problem, because we have "attitudes" and are not worthy of respect.

Trust me, there's a reason why a white woman in a business suit can walk through any neighborhood without being accosted by hoodlums. They understand very well that their behinds will be arrested if they step out of line and harass one. But unfortunately for us, the street thugs know that every day is open season on black women and girls. The street sexual harassers are the worst type of predators; but they will get their just desserts, karma is real.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:38 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
And if we dare speak out, we are the problem, because we have "attitudes" and are not worthy of respect.

Trust me, there's a reason why a white woman in a business suit can walk through any neighborhood without being accosted by hoodlums. They understand very well that their behinds will be arrested if they step out of line and harass one. But unfortunately for us, the street thugs know that every day is open season on black women and girls. The street sexual harassers are the worst type of predators; but they will get their just desserts, karma is real.
I find women in a business suite aswell in uniform very sexy and beautiful.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:10 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
I have this thing for camouflage pants. There's also camouflage underwear available.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:10 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
OP, you should just ignore the catcalls. I understand that it can be annoying to you, but ultimately you can't control what comes out of peoples mouths. When it get physical, you have every right to defend yourself. Maybe you should look into taking a women's self-defense class. It will give you confidence to know that you have tools to defend yourself should one of these goons out here gets too grabby for your liking.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-17-2013, 08:12 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
I have this thing for camouflage pants. There's also camouflage underwear available.
I see a lot of females on the train with tight dress pants going to work and if they have a nice body I definitely do a double-take. But I'm married, so all I do is look at the menu and don't order lol.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-17-2013, 08:13 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
Quote:
I relocated a few months ago to NYC from the South. I absolutely love it here and I love my job, but I abhor the street sexual harassers that are prevalent throughout my mostly black neighborhood.

I always dress in a conservative professional style, but without fail, I often encounter them while walking to the subway or while I'm just out and about minding my own business. It saddens me that 99.9% of the predators are black males, who seem to have no respect for black women. I have never been the subject of sexual harassment in mixed areas, or mostly white areas of the City.

What should I do about the plethora of street sexual harassers in my neighborhood? I'm wondering if I should contact the local police department about this problem.
Are you talking about someone touching you sexually or do you mean verbal sexual comments, possible stalking and things like that? If someone is assaulting you, you should definitely contact law enforcement (but we know how that goes sometimes ...).

When I read your post, I instantly thought about my time in Italy. I love Italy and am not trying to say anything bad about it, but that was my first interaction over there: the way a man would come up to you on the street, the staring, the gestures and when in a club, the aggressive touching that you didn't even initiate.

I just found it interesting that your post reminded me of the street culture over there when I was there.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:15 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Probably won't make her feel better since this isn't true.
Thank you for saying this. I think it is weird when people tell a woman (or anyone else) to just accept actions upon them that make them uncomfortable or may be illegal.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:38 PM

15,847 posts, read 14,479,382 times
In a public (IE non-workplace situation) there's nothing actionable here. If they haven't touched you, or directly threatened you, there's nothing you can do about this from a legal standpoint.

Edit: it wasn't in the post I responded to with this post, but you mentioned that one guy actually grabbed you. This would theoretically would be actionable. But unless you have solid proof (video, witnesses) the cops/DA are not likely to be interested in doing anything about it.

Quote:
A sexual harasser is one who makes unwarranted degrading sexual comments
and/or a stranger on the street who begs for my telephone number or a date.

Last edited by BBMW; 09-17-2013 at 09:50 PM..

Old 09-17-2013, 09:55 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Even if you report to the police, they would say only if they confront you and threatens you then they could do something.
WRONG. That is how violent physical altercations happen. I witnessed one while eating lunch in a restaurant and was a witness to such an event. The girl got upset over it, reeled the guy in by verbally standing up/fighting back and was met with several hits from a baseball bat. There were no threats or suggestions, just pure explosive violence. She was bleeding all over the sidewalk by the time the NYPD got there. I still wonder about what happened to her. I do have days where I honestly feel like I'm gonna pop off at some of these men. What will I tell the cops when I'm done with them? Just because I'm a petite woman doesn't mean you can with me like that. I may leave City-Data at some point over an arrest. Gonna help me with bail Sobro? Lol

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-19-2013 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: Inappropraite language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City