Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 01:47 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Maybe if you NyWriterdude mind your own business and stop being on a mission to disprove one's disability you wouldn't be a poor Ivy League writer!

How Long Does It Take for Welfare Fraud Investigations to Commence?
Things are going fine with me. And as a TAXPAYER, this is ALL MY BUSINESS. And as a VOTER, this is ALL my BUSINESS.

And with that said, those of you on programs had better be prepared for the federal cutbacks that are coming. Nothing said on this thread will stop all that. Nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 01:48 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
FYI:

"You or other employable household members may be required to participate in the SNAP Benefits Employment and Training Program. Job searches will be stressed and training may be made available."

Did you happen to catch the phrase "may be required"? Do you understand what that means? That caveat to the requirement is before we start talking about fraud.

HRA/DSS - Our Services - SNAP & Emergency Food Programs
Yes, Airborneguy, English is my FIRST language as I assume it is YOURS, so I'm very aware of "may be required" means.

Of course, there are certain instances where some may not have to like kids under three, mental illness, certain disabilities, dope fiends and people with HIV/AIDS.

But most will be FORCED to work for their foodstamps.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:50 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Resources for the Uninsured | Other Public Benefits | Food Stamps

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly known as Food Stamps) is a federal program available to help individuals and families, both employed and unemployed meet their food needs. You can use food stamp benefits at food retailers that accept the benefit including supermarkets, bodegas, small grocery stores, fruit and vegetable markets, and even farmers’ markets throughout NYC. You pay for food purchases with an electronic benefits transfer (EBT) card, the food card, which works just like a bank issued debit card.

You do not have to work to get food stamps. If you lost your job for example, and you're collecting unemployment, you are not made to work to get food stamps. There are other exemptions.
"Most" people have to work to get foodstamps. Is that better?

Old 09-21-2013, 01:52 PM

900 posts, read 2,371,654 times
Quote:
Things are going fine with me. And as a TAXPAYER, this is ALL MY BUSINESS. And as a VOTER, this is ALL my BUSINESS.

And with that said, those of you on programs had better be prepared for the federal cutbacks that are coming. Nothing said on this thread will stop all that. Nothing.

Then mind your own business.

I'm not worried a bit. I receive SSDI which isn't a welfare program o'k. I can work and still receive my SSDI check o'k. I will be fine. Although I can do this I want to get off disability altogether and return to work full-time, health willing.

The only ones who will be largely effected will be those totally dependent on the government.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Then mind your own business.

I'm not worried a bit. I receive SSDI which isn't a welfare program o'k. I can work and still receive my SSDI check o'k. I will be fine. Although I can do this I want to get off disability altogether and return to work full-time, health willing.

The only ones who will be largely effected will be those totally dependent on the government.
Its 100% my business as a taxpayer and a voter what money is spent on what programs, and how its spent.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:05 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
Writerdude - didn't you mention that you had previously been on food stamps? I guess that was different though...

Old 09-21-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Its 100% my business as a taxpayer and a voter what money is spent on what programs, and how its spent.
Oh really?

Really it's not.

If you have an issue w/ how social programs are ran then complain to your nearest congressman or go to DC, trying to intrude on someone else's life because YOU think there's fraud being committed isn't the way to go.

All because that person was/is just trying to survive. At least they weren't robbing people.

Find out the facts first before you go accusing people. That person you reported is allowed to work under both SSDI and SSI. SSI is the one where there's a much lower cap on what they can make and deducted from their check. Do you even know which of these programs this person you reported is under?

It really says a lot about you that you would do this.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Writerdude - didn't you mention that you had previously been on food stamps? I guess that was different though...
At any rate, this is not about me. And its not about you, Yodel.

The fact of the matter is the House is cutting food stamps and other programs. Its really up to individual people to deal with that as they please. What some of you don't seem to want to get is no amount of arguing here will change the results of what is already happening.

I would advise people to make whatever plans they need to.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Oh really?

Really it's not.

If you have an issue w/ how social programs are ran then complain to your nearest congressman or go to DC, trying to intrude on someone else's life because YOU think there's fraud being committed isn't the way to go.

All because that person was/is just trying to survive. At least they weren't robbing people.

Find out the facts first before you go accusing people. That person you reported is allowed to work under both SSDI and SSI. SSI is the one where there's a much lower cap on what they can make and deducted from their check. Do you even know which of these programs this person you reported is under?

It really says a lot about you that you would do this.
I did not report that particular person I mentioned in this thread. My friend, a HASA case manager reported him. Perhaps if you actually READ instead of getting hysterical, you'd know what I said.

With that said, if I knew a person was committing welfare fraud, I certainly would report him. And it is my business. I'm a taxpayer and a voter. The government specifically has departments devoted for the investigation of welfare fraud. Put it like this, the government loves it when citizens due their civic duty.

That person, if they were committing welfare fraud, robbed the government and ultimately the taxpayers of this nation.

It says a lot about you that you're getting this upset about it. Are you committing welfare fraud?

Old 09-21-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post

Exactly Yodel. I guess now he's above food stamps now.lol

Here's what he wrote in the past.

"07-24-2013, 08:16 PM
NyWriterdude
befriend
3,117 posts, read 792,487 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81
I had to live off unemployment, it's very humbling but between that my wife's help and my savings I was able to do it. I am grateful for unemployment, it's not much but there is no shame in accepting that help.

I feel the same way. I too have lived off unemployment and food stamps.

The thing if, if lose your job and go through hard times, for whatever reason and for whatever problems, turning to your family and friends is going to get OLD real fast. If could take you months to get a new job, and its not like your family and friends can necessarily afford to feed and pay the bills of an adult. And constantly asking them is going to very annoying, what adult can't take care of his/her business?

You're better going off to deal with social services. When you work, they take unemployment and other taxes out of your paycheck. Therefore, you helped PAY for social services for other people. Therefore, if you really need it, go out and get it for yourself. I've also known broke people who got jobs because they applied for welfare. Social services works with employment agencies, and a lot of people have gotten jobs this way,."

So Writerdude you're singing a new tune? haha

You better hope food stamps will be enough, you never know when you might need them again. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City