Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2013, 10:37 AM

33,866 posts, read 47,057,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Egypt May Not Need Fighter Jets, But The U.S. Keeps Sending Them Anyway : Planet Money : NPR

"Every year, the U.S. Congress appropriates more than $1 billion in military aid to Egypt. But that money never gets to Egypt. It goes to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, then to a trust fund at the Treasury and, finally, out to U.S. military contractors that make the tanks and fighter jets that ultimately get sent to Egypt."

"There's no conceivable scenario in which they'd need all those tanks short of an alien invasion," Shana Marshall of the Institute of Middle East Studies at George Washington University, told me."

"They are crated up and then they sit in deep storage, and that's where they remain," he told me.

The story with F-16 fighter jets is similar. Since 1980, we've sent Egypt 221 fighter jets, valued at $8 billion. "Our American military advisers in Cairo have for many years been advising against further acquisitions of F-16s," Springborg said. Egypt already has more F-16s than it needs, he said.

The scenario is the same for Israel and every other country we give "aid" to.Billions and billions and billions of taxpayer money used every year to produce weapons nobody needs to keep the defense contractors in business.

Eisenhower labeled it the military industrial complex and warned about it 50 years ago.It's still humming along bigger than ever.WTF do you think all these wars are about?
Funny how we don't focus on stuff like this instead of worrying about who is getting $300 a month on food stamps. NYWriterdude, Airborneguy. Yes I called out names. You guys worried about food stamps and welfare, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to the welfare we give other countries. Hell, Egypt got fighter jet stamps off us. When will you guys realize that voting doesn't mean crap, and this country is screwed anyway. I don't care where in the 50 states you move. As long as you are not in control of the money, you have no say!

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 10:39 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,568,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Egypt May Not Need Fighter Jets, But The U.S. Keeps Sending Them Anyway : Planet Money : NPR

"Every year, the U.S. Congress appropriates more than $1 billion in military aid to Egypt. But that money never gets to Egypt. It goes to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, then to a trust fund at the Treasury and, finally, out to U.S. military contractors that make the tanks and fighter jets that ultimately get sent to Egypt."

"There's no conceivable scenario in which they'd need all those tanks short of an alien invasion," Shana Marshall of the Institute of Middle East Studies at George Washington University, told me."

"They are crated up and then they sit in deep storage, and that's where they remain," he told me.

The story with F-16 fighter jets is similar. Since 1980, we've sent Egypt 221 fighter jets, valued at $8 billion. "Our American military advisers in Cairo have for many years been advising against further acquisitions of F-16s," Springborg said. Egypt already has more F-16s than it needs, he said.

The scenario is the same for Israel and every other country we give "aid" to.Billions and billions and billions of taxpayer money used every year to produce weapons nobody needs to keep the defense contractors in business.

Eisenhower labeled it the military industrial complex and warned about it 50 years ago.It's still humming along bigger than ever.WTF do you think all these wars are about?
Yes, the US wastes billions more on it's military than it needs to. What else is new under the sun? The problem is that it's not just a common sense issue - people in high places get rich building and selling war equipment, and so it is.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:48 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,902,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Funny how we don't focus on stuff like this instead of worrying about who is getting $300 a month on food stamps. NYWriterdude, Airborneguy. Yes I called out names. You guys worried about food stamps and welfare, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to the welfare we give other countries. Hell, Egypt got fighter jet stamps off us. When will you guys realize that voting doesn't mean crap, and this country is screwed anyway. I don't care where in the 50 states you move. As long as you are not in control of the money, you have no say!
But ... that's how it works. The masses are given smaller issues to take as focus.
And they do so.
My humanistic side is opposed to the welfare industry, but the real problem is - profiteering. Which is what that is about.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:48 AM

18,944 posts, read 13,833,623 times
Quote:
This thread wasn't about that. Guess what? I would love to see ALL welfare ended: corporate, foreign, the poor, ALL OF IT. I've said that on other threads and I'll say it again. Whenever a specific government program is being discussed, yours is a common retort, "Well what about this stuff?" My answer is usually along the lines of, "well we weren't discussing that, but that too!"

Trust me, my logic is consistent. NO ONE should get free money except for those few who absolutely cannot provide for themselves, and they should still have to jump through hoops to get it. Our government is too big. I want to see it ALL cut. Hell I rant about my own job employing way too many people. If I happened to be one of those who never got hired or ended up laid off, so be it. I'll find something else.

Quite frankly, the US Constitution doesn't even give the government the right to raise a standing Army, like the MASSIVE and EXPENSIVE one we have now so our presidents can show the rest of the world how big their thingies are.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
This thread wasn't about that. Guess what? I would love to see ALL welfare ended: corporate, foreign, the poor, ALL OF IT. I've said that on other threads and I'll say it again. Whenever a specific government program is being discussed, yours is a common retort, "Well what about this stuff?" My answer is usually along the lines of, "well we weren't discussing that, but that too!"

Trust me, my logic is consistent. NO ONE should get free money except for those few who absolutely cannot provide for themselves, and they should still have to jump through hoops to get it. Our government is too big. I want to see it ALL cut. Hell I rant about my own job employing way too many people. If I happened to be one of those who never got hired or ended up laid off, so be it. I'll find something else.

Quite frankly, the US Constitution doesn't even give the government the right to raise a standing Army, like the MASSIVE and EXPENSIVE one we have now so our presidents can show the rest of the world how big their thingies are.
I gave reps.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:54 AM

18,944 posts, read 13,833,623 times
Quote:
I gave reps.
Can't for you right now, so count this as such.

I know where you're coming from so I totally respect you calling me out, it gave me a chance to explain. Discussions online that start off about one topic tend to drift, which is perfectly natural. It's simplistic though to believe that all people who are against A are for B (for example). Like my 2nd Amendment rants. I'm a raging atheist who sees the 2nd Amendment as sacrosanct. We're not all about "god and guns". God gets about as much thought in my life as any anti-gun bill does: 0.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:04 AM

15,853 posts, read 35,066,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Here we go with that LIE again!

Welfare/SNAP recipients DO get up to "work" every morning or their benefits will get cut off.

I'm going to keep repeating this every time someone keeps saying this falsehood.

Welfare recipients have been forced to work since 1996 in New York City.
Well, good for New York City. In rural Missouri, welfare recipients usually sleep until noon or later, then they watch 10 hours of television or play video games while chatting on their iPhones, smoking their cigarettes and drinking their beer. Around 6 pm they all pile into someone's car (that has expired tags, and in sporting one "small donut" tire, with non-working windshield wipers, a bumper that is held on by a bungee cord, and one window that has a plastic bag over it, and head for Domino's or some other fast food joint that takes EBT. After which they will head to the liquor store and get stupid drunk before passing out at 3 or 4 am. Only to begin the same process over the next day.

I see this *every* *single* *day*.

Oh and by the way, now that the weather is getting colder, I will see their children playing out side in dirty clothing and diapers at 10 pm barefoot, without a coat when the weather is 40 degrees outside.

And you wonder why I have no respect for these kind of people.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-22-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Can't for you right now, so count this as such.

I know where you're coming from so I totally respect you calling me out, it gave me a chance to explain. Discussions online that start off about one topic tend to drift, which is perfectly natural. It's simplistic though to believe that all people who are against A are for B (for example). Like my 2nd Amendment rants. I'm a raging atheist who sees the 2nd Amendment as sacrosanct. We're not all about "god and guns". God gets about as much thought in my life as any anti-gun bill does: 0.
I dig it. There are those people that exist on here that are narrow-minded however, and I'm glad you're not one of those, which is why I always enjoy debating with you on here. Some other people though, smh

Old 09-22-2013, 11:06 AM

15,853 posts, read 35,066,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Never been on fewd stamps or even collected unemloyment FTW!

I'll admit I'm a left leaner on most issues, but I when I lived in NY back in 2010, it really did challenge me a bit to have to witness how ingrained government assistance is into the culture over there. Almost every person in line at the supermarket would bust out their benefit card for the groceries. Admittedly I didn't live on the Upper East Side, but it seemed like if you were a brown person that didn't speak fluent english, they got you covered!
It's obvious to me that slavery is not dead.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-22-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
and head for Domino's or some other fast food joint that takes EBT.
Just to throw it out there - you can't buy fast food with EBT in NYC...so very interesting that you can in MO.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City