Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 02:11 PM

4 posts, read 9,643 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but I'll give it a shot anyway. So I'm a medical student who will be heading to St Johns Riverside in Yonkers for rotations next year. I'm originally from Jersey so I have an idea of what NYC is about. My main question to you guys is what's a good area to live in. Ideally I would like to be close enough to Manhattan by train or subway to go out occasionally. I will need a car to get to the hospital everyday so a neighborhood with parking is necessary.

I was thinking of somewhere in the Bronx since having a car isnt out of the question there, but I havent heard good things about the safety around there. How is the area around Marble Hill? Seems to have good public transportation to Grand Central and a short drive to Yonkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 05:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
That whole general area of The Bronx (Riverdale, Kingsbridge, Marble Hill, hell even throw in Kingsbridge Heights on the other side of the Deegan) would be fine for you. Parking shouldn't be too hard (well, no harder than many other NYC neighborhoods), and those areas are all basically safe. (You can use the stickied safety map as a guide)

Marble Hill has a large housing project in the area (the project isn't the best, but not the worst), but once you get away from it, you're fine.

Just so you know, Metro-North is pretty expensive during the week, though if you go on the weekends, it's $4 for a CityTicket to get to Grand Central.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:06 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwil609 View Post
Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but I'll give it a shot anyway. So I'm a medical student who will be heading to St Johns Riverside in Yonkers for rotations next year. I'm originally from Jersey so I have an idea of what NYC is about. My main question to you guys is what's a good area to live in. Ideally I would like to be close enough to Manhattan by train or subway to go out occasionally. I will need a car to get to the hospital everyday so a neighborhood with parking is necessary.

I was thinking of somewhere in the Bronx since having a car isnt out of the question there, but I havent heard good things about the safety around there. How is the area around Marble Hill? Seems to have good public transportation to Grand Central and a short drive to Yonkers.
There are numerous neighborhoods in The Bronx that would work. Riverdale,Kingsbridge,Marble Hill,Woodlawn,Pelham Parkway and Morris Park are all within 5 or 10 minutes of Yonkers by car and are all good neighborhoods but why necessarily live in the city at all? Yonkers is practically part of The Bronx and rents are less.

Of all the neighborhoods listed above, I'd lean towards Woodlawn.It has some night life of it's own,which none of the others do and one of it's main shopping,restaurant,bar streets(McLean Avenue) is The Bronx on the South side of the street and Yonkers on the North.

Morris Park would get an honorable mention because it's home to Albert Einstein College and Jacobi Medical Center....lots of medical students and medical professionals in the neighborhood

Last edited by bluedog2; 09-23-2013 at 06:24 PM..

Old 09-23-2013, 08:49 PM

4 posts, read 9,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
There are numerous neighborhoods in The Bronx that would work. Riverdale,Kingsbridge,Marble Hill,Woodlawn,Pelham Parkway and Morris Park are all within 5 or 10 minutes of Yonkers by car and are all good neighborhoods but why necessarily live in the city at all? Yonkers is practically part of The Bronx and rents are less.

Of all the neighborhoods listed above, I'd lean towards Woodlawn.It has some night life of it's own,which none of the others do and one of it's main shopping,restaurant,bar streets(McLean Avenue) is The Bronx on the South side of the street and Yonkers on the North.

Morris Park would get an honorable mention because it's home to Albert Einstein College and Jacobi Medical Center....lots of medical students and medical professionals in the neighborhood
Do you know any good neighborhoods or apartment complexes in Yonkers? The only reason I wanted to live in the city was for the full NYC experience and easy access to Manhattan via subway/train. If there are places that meet these criteria in Yonkers I'd be all in for the cheaper rent.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:16 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Do you know any good neighborhoods or apartment complexes in Yonkers? The only reason I wanted to live in the city was for the full NYC experience and easy access to Manhattan via subway/train. If there are places that meet these criteria in Yonkers I'd be all in for the cheaper rent.
I'm not really sure where St. John's Riverside is, but the area along Bronx River Road has some pretty nice apartments...personally I don't think it'll be all that cheaper living in Yonkers. And you'll still have to pay a city tax. All those areas in the Bronx would foot the bill and you could get a nice 1 br for probably 1400 or so.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:25 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:

I don't know much about the Bronx so can't recommend, but maybe you need to re-think what you are looking for. Essentially you are asking for a neighborhood where parking is easy, and a neighborhood where you can easily catch the train to Manhattan.

In my experience, these things do not often co-exist. Neighborhoods with good train access are usually difficult to park in. Two reasons: these neighborhoods are in demand and therefore have higher density, and also, people who live in neighborhoods without train service come to areas with train service to park their cars and take the subway into the city and therefore take up all the parking spots.

So if you are serious about having good train access to Manhattan, think about renting a garage space for your car. If you can't get a space right in the building you live in (not that many buildings have garages) you can also search craigslist to find a spot to rent. new york city parking & storage classifieds - craigslist Expect to spend $150 to $250 per month for a spot in the outer boroughs.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:50 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
gwil/

Why not get an apartment in Yonkers, save on the much lower income tax and commute to "the City" for fun?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City