Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 09:28 PM

10 posts, read 14,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
If they change the locks or put you on the street, call 911. That's an illegal lockout. You can sue in housing court as well. Basically if a matter like this is brought before the court, the judge would just ask you guys how much time do you realistically need to get a new place.

In the future, renting out space from a house that has 6 people? In and of itself that sounds shady. Just rent a real apartment next time, particularly if you have family help and a job.
When we signed the lease, we were led to believe there was only one landlord. Only later did we find out the whole story.

The house itself is a 4-family home in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. One apartment is occupied by the landlords' mother, another by two young women, another is being renovated, and the last is ours (for the moment).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 09:38 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Maybe at the beginning that might have been a kind (though unnecessary) gesture, but it doesn't make sense now. The landlord, by law, is required to exterminate. The fact that the landlord has been harassing the tenant for so long about something the landlord is legally bound to pay for, is simply harassment. Nothing ethical or moral about harassment.
Agree with Henna, that was a good idea before the harassment to make peace with each other. But Right
now there is probably too much bad blood between them for reconciliation. It sounded like their landlords
already called jihad on the OP.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:38 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedrenternyc View Post

They seem to try to get-one-over every chance they get, and there's no reason to think it wouldn't continue, even if we did attempt to make peace with them:

1) We got a notice from the power company saying that they had been about to shut off power to communal areas, but that the landlords had relented and paid them at the last minute.
2) The girls in the apartment upstairs can't get their hot water fixed (they turn it up for awhile, then turn it back down again).
3) The guys working construction upstairs have had loud fights with the landlords about getting paid.
4) When we contacted them the first time about getting the oven fixed, they said that they "can't keep paying for things [we] break" because we "break everything [we] touch," despite the fact that it was the first time we'd requested any repairs. They then proceeded to ignore all messages about the oven for a month, until we told them we'd be filing a complaint with the city, at which point they told us "this would be [our] last month" in the apartment.

We've fulfilled all of our responsibilities as tenants without complaint; they are unwilling to perform their responsibilities as landlords.
He's a crappy LL. And here I thought finally the slumlords were gone. Silly me. I guess I lucked out decades ago when I lived in NYC as a renter. But now being on the other side being a home owner, I can understand him in a way when he has too many expenses in a short time period. But he chose to be a LL and a has to live with the ramifications of that decision.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:39 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times
I would not rely on getting your security deposit back, especially if a contract is not executed regarding the early move out date. I would agree with them that you will move out November 15, and that you wish your security deposit be applied to the rent due oct 14. Maybe you can compromise by offering to split extermination cost. Paying $125 may buy you a great deal of good will.
I would say they are planning on keeping your deposit, and its almost a scam trying to get you to move out. Why else would they want tenants to move? It sounds like the type of place they may not get picture perfect tenants.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
I would not rely on getting your security deposit back, especially if a contract is not executed regarding the early move out date. I would agree with them that you will move out November 15, and that you wish your security deposit be applied to the rent due oct 14. Maybe you can compromise by offering to split extermination cost. Paying $125 may buy you a great deal of good will.
I would say they are planning on keeping your deposit, and its almost a scam trying to get you to move out. Why else would they want tenants to move? It sounds like the type of place they may not get picture perfect tenants.
We weren't planning on moving out unless there is a signed agreement stipulating that the lease has been cancelled, and that neither party has any continued liability. We were hoping to get the security deposit back as a part of that process, but maybe that's naive...

[Edited to add: I do like your idea about having them apply the security deposit to the next month. However, they've shown themselves to be very unreasonable and aggressive when challenged, so I'm not sure that kind of negotiation is an option.]

Regarding the good will, I think it's important to note that they went aggro on the start from this. As soon as we brought it up, they were screaming at us and calling us all sorts of very hurtful names. I feel very unsafe here and have no particular desire to give these guys anything. They're bullies.

[Edited again to add: it has occurred to me that this might not be the first time they've done this. The girls upstairs moved in only a few months ago, so the only long-term tenant is the landlords' mother, who says she's been here 30 years. I think these guys inherited the property from their father; maybe they just don't know what they're doing. They seem to think not liking someone is grounds for eviction...]

Old 09-24-2013, 09:59 PM

Just a little more info for context/narrative sake:

This is my fiance and my first apartment in NYC. We just moved here from Dallas in June. From June-August we were living in a sublet in Harlem. I feel like we got into this position because of our naivete and just generally trusting nature. Everyone says you have to pounce on an apartment to get anything decent in NYC, and I think we got bit by that advice in this situation. We were really excited about this apartment, because it has a large kitchen and a space for my fiance to have a home office, but the landlords make life here unlivable.

We've found that we don't really like NYC (as a place to live), and are looking forward to moving to somewhere more like Peekskill or Pleasantville (my fiance is from that area). NYC is too intense for us...

Old 09-25-2013, 06:57 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Met Council might not be so much help given that you do not live in a multi-family building, which would seem to be the case ...? Lacking the tenants rights connects with such, and/or stabilization protections, you are looking at violations of contract law.

Bedbugs are an enormous burden for landlords and would possibly stand up in a holdover proceeding, if they could prove that it was indeed you who brought them.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:43 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times
Don't get down on yourselves. I am a 31 yr old male who has lived in the city for 8 years now; consider myself pretty savy, work on wall street and rather street smart, and I've been taken advantage of numerous times in apartment / roommate situations.

If you return that key without having your security deposit in hand, you can kiss it good bye, I promise you that. Tell them you will move by November 14th, and you will be applying your security deposit to the October 14th rent.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:44 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,402,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedrenternyc View Post
Just a little more info for context/narrative sake:

This is my fiance and my first apartment in NYC. We just moved here from Dallas in June. From June-August we were living in a sublet in Harlem. I feel like we got into this position because of our naivete and just generally trusting nature. Everyone says you have to pounce on an apartment to get anything decent in NYC, and I think we got bit by that advice in this situation. We were really excited about this apartment, because it has a large kitchen and a space for my fiance to have a home office, but the landlords make life here unlivable.

We've found that we don't really like NYC (as a place to live), and are looking forward to moving to somewhere more like Peekskill or Pleasantville (my fiance is from that area). NYC is too intense for us...
Living in NYC can be tough and dealing with landlords can be frustrating. The one good thing about renting in NYC is that renters have good squatter's rights. You can still live in the apartment legally for several months until the courts evict you.

In your situation I think it would be best to move on to another apartment. I have a feeling this landlord is a real a-hole and is infuriated with you guys and wants nothing more than to get you out. Its just going to get worse. He will not fix a thing when they break and blame you for everything.

If I were in your position I would start looking for a new apartment. I would let the landlord know that I plan to move out soon and are currently looking. Once you find a new place that you like try to secure the lease asap. I would leave without paying rent for the final month. Chances are you will not be getting your security deposit back and if you do it will be a huge hassle.

Also, I noticed that you said the apartment is in Sunset Park. Why not look at Bay Ridge which is the next town over? It is much cleaner, nicer, safer and cost about the same as Sunset Park. Yes it is a few minutes further from the city than Sunset Park but it's a lot better IMO.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:56 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Living in NYC can be tough and dealing with landlords can be frustrating. The one good thing about renting in NYC is that renters have good squatter's rights. You can still live in the apartment legally for several months until the courts evict you.

In your situation I think it would be best to move on to another apartment. I have a feeling this landlord is a real a-hole and is infuriated with you guys and wants nothing more than to get you out. Its just going to get worse. He will not fix a thing when they break and blame you for everything.

If I were in your position I would start looking for a new apartment. I would let the landlord know that I plan to move out soon and are currently looking. Once you find a new place that you like try to secure the lease asap. I would leave without paying rent for the final month. Chances are you will not be getting your security deposit back and if you do it will be a huge hassle.

Also, I noticed that you said the apartment is in Sunset Park. Why not look at Bay Ridge which is the next town over? It is much cleaner, nicer, safer and cost about the same as Sunset Park. Yes it is a few minutes further from the city than Sunset Park but it's a lot better IMO.
I agree. Sunset Park is a dump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: