U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 11:12 PM

2,386 posts, read 5,440,247 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this isn't just a NYC thing as other big cities do this but sometimes I feel like us New Yorkers can do better. I just got home about an hour ago and I am really bothered by this incident and it isn't the first time I've seen this happened, unfortunately I've seen the incident I am about to explain happen more often than not.

So, I get off the train at 241st to visit my mother, I'm at the front of the car and across the platform there's another 2 train ready to deport in a few minutes. As I am approaching the exit, I see multiple people scatter out the rear of the car (that is not departing to downtown) on the train across, run to the second-to-last car and I see one guy pondering on what to do as he pretty much walks over a black guy who appears to be a bum/crackhead, passed on on the floor. His hat and other belongings were scattered on the floor and he didn't look to be moving.

Admittedly I was confused because I didn't know whether to report to the MTA workers, call 911 or even check up on the guy. Within the split second I decided to inform an MTA worker and as I told him the doors closed and train departed. He seemed concerned and let he other people know at 238th-Nereid Ave that there's an unidentified male laid out and they don't his state.

What really pissed me off is that everyone who saw the guy did NOTHING but go to the next car and mind their business and pretend as if nothing happened. They were more concerned about getting home rather than the condition and safety of this human being, since they didn't want their valuable time wasted. I'm sure they wanted to go home and watch the next episode of "The Voice" or "Real House Wives" instead of making sure that someone isn't possibly dead.

Now, sure, I get on the crazy homeless bums and vagabonds a lot and talk about how I am truthfully scared of these people, I do not turn a blind eye though if I see someone is in distress of any kind. I'll do anything to help someone that I know is in need of help, even if its a simple call to the cops, ambulance or any emergency rescue. Even if I lose 2 hours of my time--at that moment--it doesn't matter. I can't live with myself knowing that I SAW something and didn't say or do anything that can potentially help someone.

Granted I've seen the good of humanity and certainly have seen New Yorkers gather together to help a fellow man or woman out, more so than not I see this dismissive behavior and I don't understand how people can pass it on by and not give a damn. Some of my peers give me crap for trying to be a "super hero" and for intervening in certain matters that "don't apply to me" and the such. In the end, I'm NOT trying to be a damn super hero, I'm doing what us humans should do and that's HELP each other when in need. I know what matters I can intervene in, I'm not going to jump in a gang fight and try to restore peace or tell a bunch of frat college kids to not fight with one another and what have you.

I know I didn't do anything special and perhaps I could have done more and I wasn't even too sure what I can do in that short moment but at least I notified someone. At least a dozen people just went to the next car and continued texting on their cell phones. For a city that takes pride in how "tough" it is, I sure see a lot of people turning a blind eye to the tough matters in life.

Crack head, bum or not the guy shouldn't be literally walked over...Sorry for the rant but these type of actions just kill me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 11:41 PM

16,093 posts, read 18,594,197 times
Was their any blood?

Old 09-25-2013, 05:42 AM

4,925 posts, read 7,060,433 times
What do you expect when you cram 9 million people into a relatively small area like hamsters...

Last edited by availableusername; 09-25-2013 at 05:51 AM..

Old 09-25-2013, 06:42 AM

483 posts, read 729,651 times
Consider yourself rare among most of 8-9 million apathetic New Yorkers. Thanks for taking a stand.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:45 AM

4,827 posts, read 7,251,680 times
"Be the change you want to see in the world". If you see someone laying on the ground, etc, call the cops/ambulance. Don't worry that others are ignoring it. YOU do the right thing and go on with your life.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:51 AM

10,596 posts, read 13,096,846 times
This is a great post and you concern for your fellow human beings is honorable and the it should be. People often are in too much of a rush to care and may have the "bystander effect " where they assume someone else will assist somehow. There are plenty of cases where someone is in need, regardless of how they appear as far as their housing or "social " status who get the same reaction. And it isn't right at all. At least flagging down someone who could help or making that phone call should be done. Thankfully we have folks like you still out there but they are not always present at scenes like this.

People esp in large cities tend to live in their own sphere and are often desensitized after seeing others on the subway like this frequently and have a defense mechanism mentally to be on guard. But the guy was out cold and informing an mta worker is an act of decency and you did the right thing.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:52 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,266,075 times
When I was new to this city 8 years ago, I think I would have been affected the same way. Unfortunately, when you see people put themselves in this situation day in, day out, you begin to numb yourself to it. Why try and help someone else when they refuse to help themselves?

I used to be very proactive in helping others, standing up for people, etc. But many people in this city are just animals. Look at what happened at Fulton Street last week. This guy and girl were fighting, and this puny little college student went over and tried getting them to settle down. The guy threw the college student on the train tracks and was punching and kicking him when he tried to get up on the platform.

A few years ago on 9-11 I was walking down 14th street by 6th avenue. A group of male thugs (looked like gang members) started arguing with another group, largely girls but a few guys. A fist fight broke out, and it started by this guy punching this girl square in the face, with no regard or thought to her being a female. I am a very big guy in great shape and usually intervene in stuff like this. But I had my gf with me, and I rushed us into a nearby 7-11. The guy next to us, also did the same thing. This guy was in uniform. A 9-11 first reponders uniform. This hero rushed into burning collapsing buildings to rescue strangers. But even he draws the line trying to intervene with some of these animals.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
When I was new to this city 8 years ago, I think I would have been affected the same way. Unfortunately, when you see people put themselves in this situation day in, day out, you begin to numb yourself to it. Why try and help someone else when they refuse to help themselves?

I used to be very proactive in helping others, standing up for people, etc. But many people in this city are just animals. Look at what happened at Fulton Street last week. This guy and girl were fighting, and this puny little college student went over and tried getting them to settle down. The guy threw the college student on the train tracks and was punching and kicking him when he tried to get up on the platform.

A few years ago on 9-11 I was walking down 14th street by 6th avenue. A group of male thugs (looked like gang members) started arguing with another group, largely girls but a few guys. A fist fight broke out, and it started by this guy punching this girl square in the face, with no regard or thought to her being a female. I am a very big guy in great shape and usually intervene in stuff like this. But I had my gf with me, and I rushed us into a nearby 7-11. The guy next to us, also did the same thing. This guy was in uniform. A 9-11 first reponders uniform. This hero rushed into burning collapsing buildings to rescue strangers. But even he draws the line trying to intervene with some of these animals.

To the statements in bold, I entirely agree and understand. I'm the same way when it comes to people who don't help themselves. Of course I wish the best for them but at the end of the day a lot of these people really don't do much for themselves and it's hard to want to help them. I ignore about 90% of the beggars on the train because I know they are deceitful and usually are either drug addicts or people who are able bodied but just want to rack in a little more cash shamelessly. Then there's a rare case where I know someone is certainly genuine with their cause and I'll probably donate a dollar or give out a clif bar or some small meal at the most. I care for people and want to see people do well but sometimes you just can't help those who aren't helping themselves.

In this case however, this is someone who was completely helpless and the best that can be done is that he is taken to safety and in good hands at least. Instead of being on the train where god knows what can happen.

As for these hooligans, that's where I STAY out of it entirely and I rather let these savages destroy each other. It's one thing if I witness someone who is completely innocent, attacked by someone I know they have no relation or problem with. For example, if some innocent girl is alone and some guy tries to rob or rape her, I'm intervening no matter what. If its a bunch of thugs, hooligans, infidels, drunken dummies who can't handle themselves and they want to fight then that's when I stay far and away out of it. Situations like that I DO NOT try and play "hero" or good Samaritan.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:20 AM

2,237 posts, read 2,354,091 times
People are like roaches in NYC. There are too many of them. People become dehumanized. I am also guilty of it...I just want to get home and escape the madness.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Was their any blood?
Why does that matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernski View Post
Consider yourself rare among most of 8-9 million apathetic New Yorkers. Thanks for taking a stand.
You're welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City