Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 09:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,332 times

Advertisements

We're a young professional family relocating to New York from DC. My husband and I both moved to DC for internships, and settling down. We now have a beautiful one year old. We've both accepted jobs in New York, so now we're looking to relocate there. But we have a few questions.

1) What areas in/around New York are good for raising children? We really aren't planning on having any more children, so we won't need too much space to grow into. What are the biggest pros and cons of raising a child in an urban area versus a suburban area? We've had a little experience with urban areas with our daughter, but DC isn't quite New York, and since she's barely a year old, we haven't actually had a ton to do.

2) What exactly is the housing situation like in New York? We have a decent housing budget (renting at around $7000/month), but will that be enough? Ideally, whether we end up in the city or in the suburbs, we'd like to be in a decent, safe area, near good parks and schools, and close to public transportation.

3) Public or private schools? I've heard really good things and really bad things about both. We've still got a couple years til our daughter will be starting school, but we're starting to think about preschool/daycare. What is your experience?

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 09:49 PM

912 posts, read 2,090,356 times
That's a ton of money grab a slick penthouse in TriBeCa with some serious views.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:43 PM

78 posts, read 273,240 times
Upper West or East side near Central Park... Your budget is enough for 3 bedroom in great location. Unsure of schooling though.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:09 PM

33,398 posts, read 46,826,601 times
At $7K a month there will be very few areas of the city that you will not be able to afford. I suggest Park Slope in Brooklyn, Riverdale in the Bronx, or Forest Hills in Queens, for areas outside of Manhattan. All 3 areas have good public schools, good parks, and adequate public transportation.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-28-2013, 11:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,183,205 times
Asking where do I live with a $7000 / year budget in NYC? is like asking where does an 800 lb gorilla sit?

More seriously, if you think you're planning on staying long-term buying may (or may not) be a better option. A local could give more specific advice, but exact job location might help narrow down the best neighborhood.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:08 AM

141 posts, read 305,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enfrancais14 View Post
We're a young professional family relocating to New York from DC. My husband and I both moved to DC for internships, and settling down. We now have a beautiful one year old. We've both accepted jobs in New York, so now we're looking to relocate there. But we have a few questions.

1) What areas in/around New York are good for raising children? We really aren't planning on having any more children, so we won't need too much space to grow into. What are the biggest pros and cons of raising a child in an urban area versus a suburban area? We've had a little experience with urban areas with our daughter, but DC isn't quite New York, and since she's barely a year old, we haven't actually had a ton to do.

2) What exactly is the housing situation like in New York? We have a decent housing budget (renting at around $7000/month), but will that be enough? Ideally, whether we end up in the city or in the suburbs, we'd like to be in a decent, safe area, near good parks and schools, and close to public transportation.

3) Public or private schools? I've heard really good things and really bad things about both. We've still got a couple years til our daughter will be starting school, but we're starting to think about preschool/daycare. What is your experience?

Thank you so much!
I think you would love Tribeca. I live here and love it, and although I don't have a family, it's a very family oriented neighborhood. Although lots of people send their kids to private, it is zoned to some of the best schools in New York...part of why the property values are sky high.

7k in Tribeca will get you a nice two bedroom.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:07 PM

33,398 posts, read 46,826,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Don Draper View Post
I think you would love Tribeca. I live here and love it, and although I don't have a family, it's a very family oriented neighborhood. Although lots of people send their kids to private, it is zoned to some of the best schools in New York...part of why the property values are sky high.

7k in Tribeca will get you a nice two bedroom.
I hope they have enough for daycare/preschool as well:

Tuition | FasTracKids

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-29-2013, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,332 times
So Upper East/West Side or Tribeca? We'll definitely look into it. Any places outside of Manhattan? How about outside of New York City? Or do you think that the extra cost of living in the city is worth the experience of raising a child there?

My work provides discount daycare, so we'll be covered for a while. And we'll be saving up for private school right now, should we choose to go that route.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:54 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,884,327 times
Quote:
So Upper East/West Side or Tribeca? We'll definitely look into it. Any places outside of Manhattan? How about outside of New York City? Or do you think that the extra cost of living in the city is worth the experience of raising a child there?

My work provides discount daycare, so we'll be covered for a while. And we'll be saving up for private school right now, should we choose to go that route.
I recommend Twin Parks Montessori over "day care."

Old 09-29-2013, 05:04 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,616,675 times
Quote:

Thank you so much!

!!!! You'll be more than fine! You can get a nice place at one of the sky scrapers at Long Island City with the BEST views of Manhattan and one of my favorite parks in Gantry Plaza State Park which is across the street from all the condo's. It also has a good school in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City