Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2013, 12:43 PM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

What ever happened to freedom of speech?
CD has rules...there is no freedom of speech. When members attack & name calling is involved...it can get ugly pretty quickly

nightcrawler: some girls like the bad boys out there. he is pretty bad

Old 10-04-2013, 12:44 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
All I ask is that you be civil to other members here, and do not call them names, or otherwise insult them, because of their opinion. Disagree with their post, sure, but it's not an excuse to attack the other member. It's perfectly fine to have a discourse where you can express your opinion, but calling each other names is not acceptable.

This is not the place to debate moderation. Suffice it to say, this is private webspace, owned by the Admin, and we play by his rules, i.e., the Terms of Service.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-04-2013, 12:53 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Absolutely, I have this model in my car (LIVUE LB100 HD) straight from Korea via ebay:

I hard wired it behind my mirror, high definition and always recording, up to something like 12 hours+ memory with the microSD card I added and saves events permanently with a g-shock sensor or when you manual save with the red button. Cost me about $100
Everyone should get a good dash-cam for their car or bike like most people in Russia did, anything happen
will be recorded. No more he saids she saids, TALK TO THE CAMERA.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:05 PM
PPL

95 posts, read 152,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
Everyone should get a good dash-cam for their car or bike like most people in Russia did, anything happen
will be recorded. No more he saids she saids, TALK TO THE CAMERA.
LOVE those russia video on youtube. esp. with the russia rap music as background

Old 10-04-2013, 01:18 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPL View Post
LOVE those russia video on youtube. esp. with the russia rap music as background
In Russia car accident victims falls by themselves....

Russian guy jumps in front of a car - Attempted Suicide - YouTube

Old 10-04-2013, 01:25 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
haha yeah that's a classic

taking care of business, Russian style

Old 10-04-2013, 01:29 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,297 times
I would like to see those bikers attempt their foolishness on some Brooklyn Russians. Russians dont play around.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:43 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Everybody seems to be ignoring the fact that there were OTHER cars on the SAME highway that were NOT banging their horn and just kept it moving, because they knew it would soon be over and the bikers would be on their way. For some reason, the SUV guy wanted to be Billy Bad A__, but didn't have the artillery in his car to back it up. Sucks for him.
the bikers were obviously trying to carjack the guy

there was no other reason for them to slash his tires and open his car door. i've been in a few collisions in my day, and standard procedure is to swap insurance information

Old 10-04-2013, 01:44 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
What would I do when confronted with a charged gang? That's a good question. If threatened, I would remove myself and loved ones from the situation, such that I could not remain and await police assistance, that was severely lacking in this case.

My BMW is a sedan, so what I would do in that vehicle is different than what I would do in a Range Rover, which I have owned, or the current SUV that I own. Handling dynamics are different, but I would not stay there to be attacked by an angry mob. I would immediately telephone the police and remain in communication with them regarding the developing situation, and ask for their advice as to whether I should go to the nearest precinct or if they had assistance nearby. Why there was no police presence on that stretch of the WSH is mind boggling, since I routinely see NYPD cruisers around the GWB approaches.

In the means to escape, I would avoid people, at all costs, unless they have weapons with which they are poised to strike, i.e, visible gun, knife, tire iron, etc.; however, I would mow down a motorcycle with no rider in about a nanosecond in a vehicle like the Range Rover, or other sufficiently large, reinforced SUV. With a sedan, that can be tricky as you do not want to impede your movements by getting a motorcycle wedged under the vehicle, so it would be more of a pattern of offset hits to clear a pathway.

Granted, my driving skills are a bit different than many drivers as I have taken advanced driving courses, and received pointers when I was a teen/young adult from a certified pursuit driver who drove part-time (in his retirement from law enforcement) for my grandparents. I could do J-turns at speed before I even had a license, owing to the ability to practice on family property in Westchester and CT. The key that I take from all of that is avoiding the confrontation in the first place, but when that fails and you are threatened, get away in whatever way is feasible, including abandoning the vehicle when your life is in danger, and you can escape through other means.

I routinely drive where I am not allowed to be boxed in by any vehicle or motorcycle, not because I am paranoid, but in the event of a catastrophic failure or other incident in the adjacent lanes, I have time to react to either avoid becoming involved in an accident or minimizing the potential danger to myself and another motorist. At low speed, it's less of an issue, but on the WSH with a large pack of motorcyclists, I would not have allowed myself to get in the middle of them, either speeding up to avoid them, or slowing to allow all of them to pass.

What I would like to know is who is in the white van that can be seen in the video. What did they see? I am sure the NYPD is in process of tracking them down, or has talked to them, which may be a reason why there is not a push for criminal charges against Lien, whom I believe did act in his own defense. Did that party see the tires slashed? Run-flats can be damaged by potholes and other pitfalls that exist along that route, especially when the Sport appears to be driven at higher speed. That can account for a shredded tire, such that there is none seen when

I agree with what Henna pointed out above whereby when the brake-check biker (Cruz) was struck by the Sport, the vehicles were not significantly damaged such that they could not be driven to the side of the road and parked. Everyone else who stopped did so illegally as they were not party to the incident, no matter what they may feel about their fellow rider, and should have responsibly parked on the shoulder. Blocking the highway and approaching the Sport is menacing behavior, such that many people would become intimidated because it was clear to all involved at that point that Cruz was not injured.

I do not think that this mob was acting rationally, and that the large number fostered an especially charged atmosphere. Some were acting with criminality, especially given their disregard for licensing laws and basic traffic laws. That is something for which they should be held accountable because they are not responsible bikers. Why the NYPD has a policy of not engaging is beyond my comprehension.

It is difficult to say what I would have done as I was not confronted with the immediate situation that faced the Liens on the WSH, but I do not fault him for attempting to remove his family from the path of danger which was a clear reaction, just given the way the vehicle drove away. He was not worried about a minor insurance claim from a bump in traffic by an illegal action, i.e., stopping on a highway in a lane of traffic when the motorcycle was clearly not disabled, as any resulting property damage would be handled by the insurance company. I do think he was afraid for his safety and that of his wife and child, which is why he would undertake extraordinary measures to get away from the mob that had surrounded him in an aggressive stance. Blocking the highway is clearly an aggressive stance in and of itself, much less the group approaching the Sport from at least three sides (difficult to see the rear from the uploaded video).

Dash cams are great, both for this type of situation and for protecting your property as they can record vandalism and attempted theft, in addition to looping for recording driving.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-04-2013, 03:01 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,637 times
Thanks for your response BMW. Even with knowledge that this type of situation can occur I wouldn't know what to do except to lunge my SUV forward a bit to try to get the crowd to back off. If that doesn't work and the crowd is attacking my vehicle with my infant and wife inside then they'd should expect to experience what 5000+ lbs of German engineered steel feels like on top of them.

The most worrying aspect of this type of situation, is to be accused of being reckless and charged with a crime. There are enough people with voting power in this country who are blindsided by race and would push for their own race driven agendas. That's the most scary part to me. Dash cam it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City