Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 01:00 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,005 times

Advertisements

Does anyone recall the first time they saw a black waiter in a chinese restaurant?

Wonder why the race baiters arent targeting chinese restaurants for not hiring more white/blacks for jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 01:01 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,988 times
Damn white people!!

Old 09-30-2013, 01:07 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
I pass by that bakery every day to work.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:07 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Does anyone recall the first time they saw a black waiter in a chinese restaurant?

Wonder why the race baiters arent targeting chinese restaurants for not hiring more white/blacks for jobs?

whose side are you on homie? injustice?

fail.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:19 PM

929 posts, read 1,659,453 times
They were quite dumb for telling her that, but it's hardly news that a store would or wouldn't hire someone based on appearance. It's naive to think it doesn't happen every day.

Let's be honest. The $25,000 fine wasn't for racially profiling her. It was for doing it openly. My dad had been turned down for jobs because of his race before, and he's white. Such is life. He didn't get a dime for it. He just went looking elsewhere.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:20 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
When I go to a Chinese, Japanese, Caribbean, Latin, etc..., I do expect the service to be of the same background. Although for a french bakery, they could go either way with white or black due to the lack of authentic french people applying for these jobs. I do enjoy the Hispanic waiters fake Italian accent at many of the Italian joints in the city.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:38 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post

This is why we need a negative rep button in addition to a positive rep button

Old 09-30-2013, 01:39 PM

929 posts, read 1,659,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
When I go to a Chinese, Japanese, Caribbean, Latin, etc..., I do expect the service to be of the same background. Although for a french bakery, they could go either way with white or black due to the lack of authentic french people applying for these jobs. I do enjoy the Hispanic waiters fake Italian accent at many of the Italian joints in the city.
Right on.

I just went to a popular sit-down eatery in Little Italy during the festival, and the waiters, mostly migrants from Latin America, tried as best they could to have the most stereotypically "Italian"-sounding accents as possible.

To use the story from the original post as an example, I can only imagine that when most people hear an African-American speaking French, or English with a "French" accent, one immediately thinks of Haitians. Not exactly the intention with haute cuisine.

I definitely have zero problem going to a restaurant regardless of who works there as so long as the food is priced appropriately for its quality, but if I owned or managed an eatery, and it was my own livelihood at stake, I may have to think twice about who I hire. Marketing and presentation is a huge deal. That's why the standard pizzeria has Italians behind the counter and Hispanics in the kitchen.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:48 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Right on.

I just went to a popular sit-down eatery in Little Italy during the festival, and the waiters, mostly migrants from Latin America, tried as best they could to have the most stereotypically "Italian"-sounding accents as possible.

To use the story from the original post as an example, I can only imagine that when most people hear an African-American speaking French, or English with a "French" accent, one immediately thinks of Haitians. Not exactly the intention with haute cuisine.

I definitely have zero problem going to a restaurant regardless of who works there as so long as the food is priced appropriately for its quality, but if I owned or managed an eatery, and it was my own livelihood at stake, I may have to think twice about who I hire. Marketing and presentation is a huge deal. That's why the standard pizzeria has Italians behind the counter and Hispanics in the kitchen.
So I guess this guy doesn't look like he belongs in haute cuisine, right?

(Marcus Samuelsson, of Somalian descent, considered by many to be one of the top chefs in the world. Ironically enough he came to America to seek opportunity because he faced career discrimination in Sweden and France for being black)

Old 09-30-2013, 01:51 PM

34,081 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I agree. It still looks odd to me when I see Chinese people serving Mexican food in the city. But what kind of bakery is this? From the name, it appears to be French? France is populated by many cultures. I wonder what type of people do work at this bakery?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City