Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 01:06 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Won't they get compensated?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
The use of eminent domain was much much more rampant throughout NY's history. I hope that those businesses will get compensated well. Unfortunately as a prior customer of those businesses, I know that the majority of them are all cash so it'll be hard to justify the real fair value of their business/property through tax fillings unless some of them recorded their incomes more properly the past few years since they all knew that this might be coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Most likely they will though the moral point is that people shouldn't be forced to sell their property if they don't want to.

But with that said for all practical purposes NYCers and NYC will be better off with the development of Willets than keeping it as it is today. Queens has been screaming for its own business and retail hub that is independent of Manhattan and this will fill in the need.

I honestly said everything I need to say on this thread:

Willets Point to Rise From Ashes (Queens)

There was a great, pretty in depth video interviewing a few of the owners linked on the thread. Summed it up beautifully. You couldn't get more rational than what they were talking about. Unfortunately it's taken down now and I don't know where to find it. Sucks. I think it's called "Behind the Curbline" or something. If someone can somehow find it. It used to be here

A couple other vids from that thread still work though:

Bono Sawdust - June 13, 2010 - YouTube

[vimeo]6702714[/vimeo]
Willets Point: The Iron Triangle on Vimeo

Last edited by availableusername; 10-07-2013 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City