U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 11:31 PM

21 posts, read 100,651 times

Advertisements

I've never been around this area and may have to soon so I'm wondering if its safe around there particularly in the morning/evening times? Or better yet is the neighborhood as a whole?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 02:40 AM

19,564 posts, read 34,654,518 times
191st Street on the 1 train and 190th Street on the A train are in Washington Heights, but the train stops are like 2 completely different neighborhoods. A train is better if you have the money.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-06-2013, 03:26 AM

8,082 posts, read 5,285,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNJ15 View Post
I've never been around this area and may have to soon so I'm wondering if its safe around there particularly in the morning/evening times? Or better yet is the neighborhood as a whole?

Thanks
to live or work?

Old 10-06-2013, 04:23 AM

21 posts, read 100,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
to live or work?
It will be a temporary job.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:03 AM

2,428 posts, read 3,361,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
191st Street on the 1 train and 190th Street on the A train are in Washington Heights, but the train stops are like 2 completely different neighborhoods. A train is better if you have the money.
yes and no. there is a tunnel to a broadway entrance for the 191st st 1 stop on broadway. i live west of broadway near these stops and take each several times a week. it's pretty much equidistant to the A or the 1. maybe a minute closer walk to the A, if at all

if you mean up the hill on fort washington versus audubon, then yes pretty different - agreed 100%. my point is only that there are plenty of nice spots serviced by the 1 up there

anyway, the neighborhood is fine, but somewhat better on west of broadway. however, some parts east of broadway aren't bad either, especially on a block like hillside or fairview

for a temp job, i wouldn't really worry at all west vs. east. just find something decent. if you're staying a while, put in a little more time to make sure you find a place west of b'way, if nothing else it's quieter so you'll sleep better

Last edited by OdysseusNY; 10-06-2013 at 10:12 AM..

Old 10-06-2013, 11:22 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
yes and no. there is a tunnel to a broadway entrance for the 191st st 1 stop on broadway. i live west of broadway near these stops and take each several times a week. it's pretty much equidistant to the A or the 1. maybe a minute closer walk to the A, if at allr
Does the tunnel have safety issues at night? I remember using it and thinking it was likely unsafe at night.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:33 AM

2,428 posts, read 3,361,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Does the tunnel have safety issues at night? I remember using it and thinking it was likely unsafe at night.
as an adult male i have no issues walking through it at any time. i can see how a lady might get a bit freaked out by it walking after midnight but i've never seen any crimes or seedy characters hanging around. if you're coming off the train, there are usually at least a few other people around coming off the train with you because the 1 train is heavily used and runs very frequently

there are actually tunnels for both the 1 and A if you are coming from b'way, but the 1 is definitely longer and spookier

if one really wants to avoid tunnels you can take the elevator up and walk the local streets, but that's *much* longer if you're going towards broadway

EDIT - actually the worst thing about the tunnel is that there's a panhandler guy who plays a guitar and sings - *terribly*. the guitar is always way way way out of tune and he has a terrible voice and sings the same "have a good day" lyric over and over and over again... the tunnel is so long you have to listen to it for a couple of minutes. he switches from the A to the 1. ugh! i wish we could get the awesome musicians up here like on columbus circle and other midtown stops...

Old 10-06-2013, 03:50 PM

386 posts, read 549,668 times
Nah you good.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:57 PM

20 posts, read 25,258 times
The tunnel is a bit spooky but during normal business hours it has decent foot traffic. Once you get on to Broadway itself, it is a safe area, including the fact that the 34th precinct station house is just a couple blocks away. However for being Broadway in Manhattan it is a relatively quiet area especially 190 to 181 in regard to foot traffic and business.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:27 PM

483 posts, read 731,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNJ15 View Post
It will be a temporary job.
OP: Place is relatively safe during day. I suggest you learn some Spanish in case emergency arises & you come in contact with resident there that talks more Spanglish than English. This will help in long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or