Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do West Indians assimilate into AA culture?
Yes, they become more like AAs 14 35.00%
No, they remain very distinct 26 65.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 01:35 AM

334 posts, read 454,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Not really most Black Panamanians are descendants of Jamaicans that went to Panama to build the canal. Many have English sir names. Indo-Guyanese are descendants of Indians that went to Guyana as indentured servants. The ones that are most accepted by Indian-Americans still practice Hinduism. However Indians usually make a point of mentioning their differences.
Nope you're wrong. MOST Black Panamanians in Panama have Spanish surnames and are the descendants of African slaves were brought to Panama during the Spanish colonial period and also during Panama's lengthy period and time as an integral part of Colombia.

Much of the descendants of Caribbean blacks that came to Panama for construction of the canal have left and migrated en masse abroad mainly to the USA, and also to other places abroad. Most of or much of the black Panamanians that have migrated to the USA have been those descended from black West Indians.

Black Panamanians with Spanish surnames (known as colonial blacks) have not migrated outside of Panama as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 10:33 AM

725 posts, read 805,664 times
If there is a lot of family, West Indians tend to stick around each other very much and emphasize family. I have never met any West Indians who integrate into the black culture to a point of dating or hang out.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:44 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW001 View Post
If there is a lot of family, West Indians tend to stick around each other very much and emphasize family. I have never met any West Indians who integrate into the black culture to a point of dating or hang out.
OK troll

this a dumbass question by the way....

Old 03-27-2014, 12:09 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
You wouldn't know a west indian, unless they told you they were.

There are many several generations of WIs here who don't associate with WIs and absorbed themselves into AA culture.

It's not like the two groups have distinctive looks. The only way to tell in most cases is by an accent.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:58 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I saw that thread and ignored it.

I grew up here and there was never any "hatred" between AAs and Caribbeans. I currently live in a mixed AA, African, Caribbean and Indian/Pakistani neighborhood in Queens.

There is no "hatred".

Now, I don't know what people say to each other in the privacy of their homes, but I have never witnessed any outward animosity between the three groups.

CD is a very weird forum full of some very sheltered individuals who have no friends outside of the internet world. Lol!

Okay? There's nothing wrong with that. Are you first generation or were you born on the island?
Love this post Marilyn!!

Old 03-28-2014, 01:10 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Epic Fail, Troll.

As many West Indians have pointed out, most AA's to some degree are West Indian. The majority of African slaves were taken to the Caribbean and Latin America. Some of these slaves were later taken to the US, and of course after slavery you had West Indian immigration to the US.

The people on the Gulf Coast of the US came to the US after the Haitian Revolution and that includes many AAs.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:27 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Epic Fail, Troll.

As many West Indians have pointed out, most AA's to some degree are West Indian. The majority of African slaves were taken to the Caribbean and Latin America. Some of these slaves were later taken to the US, and of course after slavery you had West Indian immigration to the US.

The people on the Gulf Coast of the US came to the US after the Haitian Revolution and that includes many AAs.

While the two groups have their differences the two groups are not distinct from each other.

Indeed when South Carolina was established many planters arrived from Barbados, bringing their slaves. And many US planters went "shopping" for slaves in Jamaica. Many slaves dropped off in Jamaica and Barbados were destined to other places, including the USA.

That's why less than 500k slaves were imported DIRECTLY from Africa into North America (British, French, and independent USA). Over 600k were imported into Barbados.

The reality is that when we take the time to understand each other we get on quite well. When we don't take the time, then problems occur, but certainly not at the level that there were, say between Italian and Irish immigrants, where open violence occurred.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:15 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
While the two groups have their differences the two groups are not distinct from each other.

Indeed when South Carolina was established many planters arrived from Barbados, bringing their slaves. And many US planters went "shopping" for slaves in Jamaica. Many slaves dropped off in Jamaica and Barbados were destined to other places, including the USA.

That's why less than 500k slaves were imported DIRECTLY from Africa into North America (British, French, and independent USA). Over 600k were imported into Barbados.

The reality is that when we take the time to understand each other we get on quite well. When we don't take the time, then problems occur, but certainly not at the level that there were, say between Italian and Irish immigrants, where open violence occurred.
Among some AA cultures, you have African based religions such as vodun in Louisiana. I'm from an AA background that had at least remnants of African based religions, so I enjoyed learning in greater detail more about Vodun, Santeria, Obeah, Shango, and Candomble.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:55 AM

146 posts, read 190,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
You wouldn't know a west indian, unless they told you they were.

There are many several generations of WIs here who don't associate with WIs and absorbed themselves into AA culture.

It's not like the two groups have distinctive looks. The only way to tell in most cases is by an accent.
So true.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:56 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Among some AA cultures, you have African based religions such as vodun in Louisiana. I'm from an AA background that had at least remnants of African based religions, so I enjoyed learning in greater detail more about Vodun, Santeria, Obeah, Shango, and Candomble.

I watched Treme. Don't know if you did but I was amazed at how Afro Caribbean some of the musical culture of that town is. The Indians with what we call "Big Drum" music could fit right in any where in the Caribbean. Even the processions dancing through the streets. Of course much of the food.

And indeed I have been told by New Orleans people who live in NY that many people, including black Americans, often think that they have Caribbean heritage.

What ever the cultural forces that made American blacks different from Caribbean blacks was a whole lot weaker in NOLA and among the Gullahs, who speak straight, direct, and unadulterated "Bajan".

And yes the "roots" too, which is like our obeah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City