Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 07:06 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
camera doesn't mean you're a tourist. there's tons of people observers, artists, photographers in the city. just don't carry yourself ignorantly. don't block walkways, don't stop traffic, don't be over polite. this is a hugely diverse city but it's not that hard to fit in either.
Exactly. I wonder if anyone would consider our very own MATHJAK a tourist?? I highly doubt it and he is constantly in "tourist" areas taking amazing photos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 02:38 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
Look mad or not too perky and give an aura of "Knowing where you're going" ,if you get lost dont take your map out In the open, go in a store or food place . By my second day tourist were asking me for directions !

Old 10-12-2013, 02:52 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,609,630 times
Long story short - Walk with purpose.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:12 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Oh, and don't sit in the far corner of a train. Only a tourist (or a homeless person) would make that mistake.
I guess I'm late to the party but can someone explain this one?

I love catching the PATH when one of the corner single seats are vacant. So cozy and nobody to squeeze me in. I guess I look like a tourist?

Old 10-12-2013, 03:19 PM

116 posts, read 169,724 times
I was recently in NYC and many times it was unavoidable looking like a tourist.

Walking through areas like Crown Heights, East Flatbush, South Bronx, Harlem etc as a white Australian male (with his white Australian wife) we looked distinctly out of place. But I didn't care, I still took plenty of photos with my SLR camera slung over my shoulder, got plenty of stares but I didn't care, I was on holiday, if I look like a tourist/out of towner, it's because I am.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:33 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
I guess I'm late to the party but can someone explain this one?

I love catching the PATH when one of the corner single seats are vacant. So cozy and nobody to squeeze me in. I guess I look like a tourist?

I've never heard of that one, either. I don't think it exists. Plenty of "real" NY-ers love those corner seats --- you can sit pretty much by yourself and you're not getting all crunched in by a ton of other people sitting next to you or standing over you.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:07 PM

283 posts, read 434,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
camera doesn't mean you're a tourist. there's tons of people observers, artists, photographers in the city.
I'm a photographer. There's a big difference between an artist and a guy who has a dslr slung around their neck set on auto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
The Penn Station "metro"???? That alone would make me think you're a tourist. No one calls the LIRR, Amtrak, or Subway the "metro".

Those people around Penn are usually handing out the AM New York or Metro (free) newspapers. There are also the salespeople trying to get people to buy tix for the hop on/hop off tour bus. Just because they're not approaching you doesn't mean you come off as a NY-er. It just means you look like you're in a rush or you're not giving them any indication that you wish to be spoken to. The newspaper people couldn't care less ---- enough people take the (free) papers so they don't have to hunt people down.

As for being a "target"? I walk around Manhattan all the time with my camera and, yes, I look up at buildings (architecture!). I've yet to be a "target" for a crime/ripoff.

It doesn't matter if you're a tourist or a local; if you walk with a sense of knowing where you are/where you're going and you use common sense, you're less likely to be a "target" for anything.
I call every subway system in the world the metro--London, Paris, NYC. I probably wouldn't say metro to anyone in person--seemed to slip out when typing for some reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Exactly. I wonder if anyone would consider our very own MATHJAK a tourist?? I highly doubt it and he is constantly in "tourist" areas taking amazing photos!
I don't know who he is, but I'm sure he's not doing the tourist thing of full-auto, random framing, neck-strap around his neck constantly. There's photographers and there's gwc's.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:25 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Worse, if you're on the PATH, you look like someone from NJ :-)

I got the total stink-eye from some pregnant woman for sitting in that seat once. Turns out that in some of the cars (though not the one I was in) it's marked as priority for disabled/pregnant/elderly. When she gets off she told me off about it. I wasn't quick enough to respond with "I'm sorry I thought you were just fat" or "My arthritis trumps your baby, b****", alas.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:36 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Worse, if you're on the PATH, you look like someone from NJ :-)

I got the total stink-eye from some pregnant woman for sitting in that seat once. Turns out that in some of the cars (though not the one I was in) it's marked as priority for disabled/pregnant/elderly. When she gets off she told me off about it. I wasn't quick enough to respond with "I'm sorry I thought you were just fat" or "My arthritis trumps your baby, b****", alas.
*Ouch* Well in my defense everyone on the PATH is from Jersey or unfortunate enough to have to venture there

Screw the signs. When I've weighted down by bags or stuff nobody shifts or moves aside for me. Why should I lift a finger and help some lady who would have been better off using a coat hanger.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:19 AM

283 posts, read 434,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I wasn't quick enough to respond with "I'm sorry I thought you were just fat" or "My arthritis trumps your baby, b****", alas.
Quote:
When I've weighted down by bags or stuff nobody shifts or moves aside for me. Why should I lift a finger and help some lady who would have been better off using a coat hanger.
Ahhhh...the attitudes that makes one a true NY'er, lol.

Seriously, what's really got so many people in this part of the country this angry? I know the pollution in this area can affect the nervous system, but I was thinking it was more than just that.

(This being said, I met some of the nicest strangers on Earth at Tribecca Hardware and a skateshop that I can't remember the name of. Definitely shows that not everyone is angry.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: