Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 04:48 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Aren't the NY/NJ ports more active than Florida's still? Louisiana is probably just a lot of oil. Considering airports into the equation, NY/NJ is still probably the top on the east coast, if not the entire nation.

You dream to much son! NYC ports are not the busiest in the nation. You spend to much time in NYC area. LA and Long Beach ports blow NYC port out of the water in volume of trade that passes in and out of that port. Problem with NYC area ports is size and limitations. Also NYC ports can not handle larger ships forcing Port Authority to dredge the silt from the bottom of the harbor to make a allow bigger ships to pass through. Also the Bayonne bridge needs to come down as well to allow bigger ships to pass through the straights. NYC port is facing competition by other East Coast ports such as Savannah, Miami, and Virginia area. Also NYC airports are busy, but the busiest in the nation. Have you ever passed through Atlanta Heartsfield or Dallas Forthworth? I have. Also other airports in the country have higher volume of cargo shipments which NYC does not. Memphis and LAX have higher cargo traffic for air travel than NYC does. You should already know that NYC is not dominante with physical import and export, that industry NYC does not dominate anymore and probably will not unless space cargo becomes popular if ever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 06:51 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,588,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy You Met Once View Post
This is more of a rant than a discussion topic. Sorry, but I just need to vent this somewhere:

I lived in Brooklyn for about four months last year, and during that time, I took an ass-kicking. I lost the job I moved there for, I got turned down for multiple other jobs after interviews, I got thrown out of my place by my terrible alcoholic roommate and had nowhere to stay besides a friend's couch, I came down with a bad case of pneumonia, and I went through a really nasty breakup of a (long-distance) relationship right after she had just agreed to come there to be with me.

I couldn't handle that much **** in a row and I got so depressed I could barely function. So I gave up, moved back to Florida, and stayed with my mom until I could find a full-time job and get back on my feet. I guess I'm doing OK now. I have a job that I love, even if the pay's awful, and my own cozy little studio apartment.

But, for reasons even I don't understand, I still love New York, and I regret giving up on it every day. I want to go back and try it all again. I've been a lifelong New Yorkophine, I'm bored out of my mind in Tampa, and I miss urban living, public transit, being able to go anywhere I wanted for a flat $112 a month, the diversity (of people, food, and architecture), skyscrapers, the changing seasons, the arts scene, dollar pizza, bodega sandwiches, and all the fascinating people I met there.

I've been trying to convince myself it's not worth it and I'm better off staying here where it's "safe," but for some reason, there still really is no place I'd rather live.

But that's insane, and I know it, especially since I know I'll probably never be able to afford it. And why would I "love" a place where I went through so much? Why the hell would any sane person want to go back and experience more horrible things?
Well, the things that happened to you there aren't unique in any way to New York - that stuff happens to people anywhere. By that that same token, there are/were lots of unique things about living there you liked that had nothing to do with your bad luck. It had potential I guess you could say.

Also part of the equation is that now you feel you have something to prove to yourself...that what conquered you can be faced and beaten with perseverance the 2nd time around. If you want to you will.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:13 PM

156 posts, read 193,506 times
I think some people missed the post where I said I'm planning my next move for Philadelphia instead, but thanks for the encouragement (and advice) anyway. I'm in no hurry to quit my job, and I'm planning to stay in Tampa while I build my portfolio, save up some money, and work on making "a name for myself."

Although I do plan on ending up in NYC eventually, even if I'm into my '30s by that point.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:04 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,537 times
You should call your first move your "dry run" and do it again. I did the same with a different city. I moved there for a couple months, I had to leave for 3 years and moved back to where I wanted to live. You didn't fail because you left NYC but if you want to move back and don't that is when you will be considered a loser. This is for any city and not just NYC. It will be a sad day when you are 60 years old and you are wishing you should have made that move years ago

Old 10-23-2013, 08:21 AM

144 posts, read 186,461 times
You are in no hurry to quit your job, planning on staying in Tampa while you build up your portfolio, save up some money and work on making a name for yourself. Good for you!
Now, develop a realistic, logical, and strategic plan for your career goals and stick with it, along with some astuteness to survive in a NYC environment so that you don't belly ache and buckle under its pressure cooker. Hopefully you won't get spewed out again.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:35 AM

28 posts, read 34,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy You Met Once View Post
Well, I don't live with her anymore. I'm employed full-time and have a studio now.

But anyway, after doing much more research, I'm definitely planning to move to Philly. It's only two hours away but everything costs half as much. Not to mention I (probably) won't have to compete with a hundred overqualified college graduates for every half-decent photo gig.

I'll just visit NYC on weekends.

I'm thinking of doing the same. I am in DC right now but I am planning to do either NYC, Philadelphia or Atlanta. I have a biology background so I know there are certain places/areas that I could go to. Still thinking but hopefully I will make the decision soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City