Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 03:03 PM

105,824 posts, read 107,799,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
No. All subsidies should not be ended.

Whether you like it or not, poor and working class folks are here to stay and there's nothing you can do about it.

Rents are getting completely out of control while wages are staying stagnant.

One in 7 million americans out of 300 million are on FOODSTAMPS. A government subsidy.

They were not able to access their benefits yesterday in 17 states due to a supposed "error glitch" and *ish was about to be get REAL.

Oh, and many of the people affected and screaming bloody murder were from the SUBURBS (we know what this is code for, right?).
Let them get 2nd jobs like most small landlords do. If landlords can have 2nd jobs owning and running rentals, tenants can get 2nd jobs paying their bills.

For landlords like myself the risk and aggrevation of running rental apartments is another job. We want to be compensated and have it as profitable as markets allow the same as any other worker here.

Here is a secreat,sssshhhh , the only reason i am in real estate is to make money.

I borrowed 500k and had no idea how i would ever pay it back if things didn't go as planned. My reward for taking a risk that could have devasted me and for having a creative plan and partner is to have a profitable business.

It is strictly business ,i am not a charity organization. If the city wants to house the poor that is their business not mine. landlords are entitled to market income the same as anyone else is.

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-13-2013 at 03:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 03:36 PM

3,937 posts, read 5,040,432 times
Thread does come up over and over and over again.

Either get rid of RC/RS or put everyone on it.
Two classes of people exist though which is obviously not a fair game for everyone.

I think removing the system would have better long term effects, but I can understand the value of it going the other way.

As is, the day the laws change you'll still have the same amount of apartments, just a different group of people living in them.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:40 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,811,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Let them get 2nd jobs like most small landlords do. If landlords can have 2nd jobs owning and running rentals, tenants can get 2nd jobs paying their bills.
Agree, but when housing is subsidized, there is just no urgency and incentive.

No urgency to get a second job.

No urgency to move to greener pastures.

No urgency to do anything drastic to improve one's standing in life.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:45 PM

you are correct. my tenants are not tenants. they are members of my family who i am stuck with forever and who i have to decrease my profits with as expenses rise and rents lag.

but the good news is once these tenants are gone more apartments become decontrolled and the city loses even more rentals as these are co-ops and will be sold to owners..

Old 10-13-2013, 04:08 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,831,511 times
Quote:
you are correct. my tenants are not tenants. they are members of my family who i am stuck with forever and who i have to decrease my profits with as expenses rise and rents lag.

but the good news is once these tenants are gone more apartments become decontrolled and the city loses even more rentals as these are co-ops and will be sold to owners..
And you don't have to wait until they die. When I sued my landlord for repairs, I was surprised to see how many people were in housing court getting evicted. There's been a big cut in government programs, and these days its nearly impossible to get a new rental voucher long term.

"Last year, the court evicted 10,966 families, compared with 8,514 in Brooklyn, 4,606 in Queens, 3,776 in Manhattan, and 894 on Staten Island, according to city marshals. The total citywide rose 4 percent to 28,756."

Old 10-13-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Agree, but when housing is subsidized, there is just no urgency and incentive.

No urgency to get a second job.

No urgency to move to greener pastures.

No urgency to do anything drastic to improve one's standing in life.
That's exactly what's wrong with these subsidies and programs, and thank god they've diminished big time over the years.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And you don't have to wait until they die. When I sued my landlord for repairs, I was surprised to see how many people were in housing court getting evicted. There's been a big cut in government programs, and these days its nearly impossible to get a new rental voucher long term.

"Last year, the court evicted 10,966 families, compared with 8,514 in Brooklyn, 4,606 in Queens, 3,776 in Manhattan, and 894 on Staten Island, according to city marshals. The total citywide rose 4 percent to 28,756."
i really have nothing to evict them on nor would i want to. i do play fair ,in fact we have offers up to 100k to buy out their leases. 7 out of 9 have done so.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
i really have nothing to evict them on nor would i want to. i do play fair ,in fact we have offers up to 100k to buy out their leases. 7 out of 9 have done so.
I wasn't suggesting you should unfairly evict people. I was just saying a lot of rent stabilized units have been lost just because the tenant did not pay the rent. So landlords have used evictions to get rid of rent stabilized units. Other causes of eviction include tenants who do not live in NYC (they may have even a house elsewhere that they live in) and yet these people will still hold on to a rent stabilized apartment until they get busted.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:43 PM

The entire stabilization system is a far cry from what it was supposed to be. All it was supposed to be was an agreement to prevent rent gouging.

You were supposed to get the fair market rate, but politicians used it as a pawn to win votes.

It has no income or net worth restrictions other than a very very high max yet everyone equates it to some poor grand mother in some hobble.

The only thing that matters is length of time in the apartment,that is it.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
The entire stabilization system is a far cry from what it was supposed to be. All it was supposed to be was an agreement to prevent rent gouging.

You were supposed to get the fair market rate, but politicians used it as a pawn to win votes.

It has no income or net worth restrictions other than a very very high max yet everyone equates it to some poor grand mother in some hobble.

The only thing that matters is length of time in the apartment,that is it.
Well, partially because not for rent stabilized units, but the few remaining rent controlled units (1.8%) of the market, tend to be disproportionately older people. If they had children their children have their own places, so when they die or go into a nursing or whatever, the apartment can be gutted and renovated by the landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City