Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 01:49 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickNYR View Post
New Yorkers are not pretentious.

People who move to NY from other regions outside the Northeast for careers or to pretend to be musicians/actors/models/writers are.

Most foreigners who move to NY are alright. Most people from New England/Tri-state are alright. Its mainly the white collar and hipster types from the Midwest and California that are pretentious and snoody.

People from California are just bringing the snoody attitude they've had all their life with them, and people from the Midwest come from modest boring places and now think they're special because they live in NY.
Do you speak for all people in NY or do you know all NYers? New Yorkers do things for their careers too, and yes, there are native born New Yorkers who move to Williamsburg to do careers in the arts and there are native born New Yorkers who work on Wall Street.

In your mind, Native New Yorker apparently means your friends, who are apparently lower middle class (a polite way of saying working class/poor).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 02:01 AM

Quote:
I live in California for 3 years. I've traveled throughout Asia and the Mid East. Also been through most of the U.S.

I never said people can't move here. I said that MOST of the people who do move here have a different mentality than natives, or move here for a certain reason.

You are the one who is telling me that its wrong for me to have an opinion you don't agree with. Its "rude" for me to say something you don't agree with. Really what you're doing is imposing your views on me and trying to demonize other people for having views or a perspective you don't agree with.....which in itself is rude.

"I'm here now and everyone who is here has to have the same views as me, and if they don't then they are being rude" is an annoying narcissistic attitude that I found to be pretty common in Southern California.
Its bull**** to claim that "Native" New Yorkers have some sort of native mentality. Please, a well to do person who lived in the Upper East Side (whose parents have a beautiful home in the suburbs, upstate NY, or Florida) would not even speak to someone from Brownsville, the most ghetto neighborhood in the city.

Even people of color discriminate against people from the worst neighborhoods in the city. To imply that homeowners in Staten Island, Eastern Queens, or the North Bronx share a mindset with housing project people is absurd! They have very different levels of education and perspective.

Also, a lot of people born in NYC identify strongly with their ethnic origins and don't call themselves New Yorkers (though they were born here). I know plenty of people who call themselves Albanian, Jamaican, Puerto Rican, Panamian, Colombian, Chinese, Thai, etc. For whatever reason these native born New Yorkers identify with their ancestry far more they do with New York.

Parts of Far Rockaway have a very tight knit Jewish community (its an upper middle class area full of beautiful homes. Those people behave very different from those in the Rockaway projects.

Maybe people should stop with the nonsense that there really is a significance to being a native New Yorkers when whole groups of people born in the city want NOTHING to do with each other. The white well off New Yorkers would much rather deal with newcomers from wherever with money than Section 8 scum.

Let's not pretend the early 90s was a walk in the park in NYC. Several generations of welfare dependents had turned big parts of Manhattan into one open drug den. The West Village, LES were heroin/crack infested hell holes. Because of all the drugs, Aids was wiping out large numbers of people. Muggers were running wild, and you had nasty skank hos openly selling their diseased wares in broad daylight.

So Giuliani himself, a man born in NYC, lead a police crackdown and decided he would rather have WORKING people from WHEREVER live in these neighborhoods, instead of lazy MOOCHERS who want the government to do EVERYTHING for them.

And btw, I was born in NYC. But I'm not married to the idea of NYC and I am certainly not going to pretend that the early 90s was some glorious time. In fact, I'm leaving the city (I've been to plenty of other places in my time) and actually packing this weekend. (leaving next month)

Old 10-19-2013, 07:32 AM

31 posts, read 68,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
So apparently you do care, since it effects you emotionally and since you bothered to respond. Is it low self esteem? Envy? Misery?
In a thread entitled "Why are young professionals in NY so extremely pretentious?" you make the argument that young professionals in NY are NOT pretentious, and then accuse people who think its funny that you rant and rave about how well educated and professionally accomplished you are of being envious and miserable.

Yes, anyone who doesn't want to listen to you talk about your Ivy League education and your professional titles is clearly suffering from low self esteem.

Way to bring a pretentious attitude to a discussion about pretentious attitudes.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Its bull**** to claim that "Native" New Yorkers have some sort of native mentality. Please, a well to do person who lived in the Upper East Side (whose parents have a beautiful home in the suburbs, upstate NY, or Florida) would not even speak to someone from Brownsville, the most ghetto neighborhood in the city.

Even people of color discriminate against people from the worst neighborhoods in the city. To imply that homeowners in Staten Island, Eastern Queens, or the North Bronx share a mindset with housing project people is absurd! They have very different levels of education and perspective.

Also, a lot of people born in NYC identify strongly with their ethnic origins and don't call themselves New Yorkers (though they were born here). I know plenty of people who call themselves Albanian, Jamaican, Puerto Rican, Panamian, Colombian, Chinese, Thai, etc. For whatever reason these native born New Yorkers identify with their ancestry far more they do with New York.

Parts of Far Rockaway have a very tight knit Jewish community (its an upper middle class area full of beautiful homes. Those people behave very different from those in the Rockaway projects.

Maybe people should stop with the nonsense that there really is a significance to being a native New Yorkers when whole groups of people born in the city want NOTHING to do with each other. The white well off New Yorkers would much rather deal with newcomers from wherever with money than Section 8 scum.

Let's not pretend the early 90s was a walk in the park in NYC. Several generations of welfare dependents had turned big parts of Manhattan into one open drug den. The West Village, LES were heroin/crack infested hell holes. Because of all the drugs, Aids was wiping out large numbers of people. Muggers were running wild, and you had nasty skank hos openly selling their diseased wares in broad daylight.

So Giuliani himself, a man born in NYC, lead a police crackdown and decided he would rather have WORKING people from WHEREVER live in these neighborhoods, instead of lazy MOOCHERS who want the government to do EVERYTHING for them.

And btw, I was born in NYC. But I'm not married to the idea of NYC and I am certainly not going to pretend that the early 90s was some glorious time. In fact, I'm leaving the city (I've been to plenty of other places in my time) and actually packing this weekend. (leaving next month)
Well thanks for enlightening me about the various ethnic groups and social classes living in NYC, but you missed the point.

I didn't say every New Yorker was the same or had the same views or lifestyle. I said they view NYC in a similar light, i.e. as "home". Someone who grows up in a city (any city) doesn't view that city the same way as a tourist on vacation, a student who is in that city just for school, or someone "trying it out" for a year or two.

New Yorkers don't have the "I live in NYC now and all my dreams are going to come true!" view that a lot of bright eyed transplants have.

That's all I was saying.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Well thanks for enlightening me about the various ethnic groups and social classes living in NYC, but you missed the point.

I didn't say every New Yorker was the same or had the same views or lifestyle. I said they view NYC in a similar light, i.e. as "home". Someone who grows up in a city (any city) doesn't view that city the same way as a tourist on vacation, a student who is in that city just for school, or someone "trying it out" for a year or two.

New Yorkers don't have the "I live in NYC now and all my dreams are going to come true!" view that a lot of bright eyed transplants have.

That's all I was saying.
Not all New Yorkers (including people born and raised here) view New York as home. A number have moved away and not come back over the years. For some people home is there they have ethnic/family ties, so NYC just happened to be where their parents got off the boat. So its fairly easy for them to relocate elsewhere.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:01 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
so people that are not ny born and raised are pretentious since they view ny as a career opportunity/development??? This thread is too funny.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:23 PM

Holy ****. I'm done with this.

I sorry that I have an opinion that's too hard for the sensitive Midwesterners and Californians on here to stomach. SOME of the people from your region that move here are annoying. MOST of the people from your regions are different than people who grew up in this region.

I know! What an awful awful thing for me to say. Go see your therapists and get some pills!

Old 10-19-2013, 05:54 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
People tend to be annoying no matter where they come from. I'd rather converse with a pretentious transplant than an ignorant native.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:21 PM

895 posts, read 1,703,137 times
I think it's ironic how people are implying that the "natives" are superior in a thread about pretension...

Old 10-20-2013, 06:24 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
People tend to be annoying no matter where they come from. I'd rather converse with a pretentious transplant than an ignorant native.
Both can be douchey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City