Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 08:19 AM

706 posts, read 1,041,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickNYR View Post
I repeatedly used the words "most" and "some" in my posts.

I don't know if logic and reading comprehension aren't your best skills, if you're the type of person who just loves confrontation, or if you're just trolling......either way I'm done.

I get the feeling you're a fragile California transplant who's panties are in a bunch because I voiced an opinion that you aren't in agreement with. This is New York. People have opinions. You won't agree with all of them. Get over yourself.
You should take your own advise. You are the one complaining about pretentious people when you don't even know them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 08:27 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
maybe they're not stressed so they appear this way or that way
to other people. it really doesn't make a difference in my life tho.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:31 AM

176 posts, read 234,073 times
I am a native Texan, sixth generation. Dyed in the wool. With that said I actually worked in NYC back in 2008 on a Consulting gig. I was there for about 1.5 years.
I met all kinds of people from all over the world there. I will say that most people were very friendly. The arrogant types that I would come across I would make it a point to ask where they were from originally as I was curious.
About 95% of the time they were not native to NYC. A lot of them also tended to be under 40.
I am very much about southern hospitality but I have to say that most folks up there that I encountered were nice but in a different (not bad) way. It was their way. Yes they are more direct but I personally find it refreshing and honest. I have a lot of respect because so many people won't tell you the truth these days.
Do I miss living in NYC? No. But that has more to do with my sense of personal space. LOL. I am very glad I had the opportunity to live there. I was in Murray Hill and I loved that area. I will never forget my time there. There is a lot to do and there is no excuse to be bored up there!

Old 10-18-2013, 03:11 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearthegoat View Post
I am a native Texan, sixth generation. Dyed in the wool. With that said I actually worked in NYC back in 2008 on a Consulting gig. I was there for about 1.5 years.
I met all kinds of people from all over the world there. I will say that most people were very friendly. The arrogant types that I would come across I would make it a point to ask where they were from originally as I was curious.
About 95% of the time they were not native to NYC. A lot of them also tended to be under 40.
I am very much about southern hospitality but I have to say that most folks up there that I encountered were nice but in a different (not bad) way. It was their way. Yes they are more direct but I personally find it refreshing and honest. I have a lot of respect because so many people won't tell you the truth these days.
Do I miss living in NYC? No. But that has more to do with my sense of personal space. LOL. I am very glad I had the opportunity to live there. I was in Murray Hill and I loved that area. I will never forget my time there. There is a lot to do and there is no excuse to be bored up there!
So you really came across Native New Yorkers, this seems to be true for many Transplants. How did you like Native New Yorkers when you came across them or interacted with them?

Old 10-18-2013, 07:44 PM

466 posts, read 901,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Another guy who is from Memphis, he worked in thr Bronx and laughed at Black people in the projects chilling with iphones anf expensive air jordans, but where he comes from is far worse than any Bronx hood, even more worse than Mott Haven which super mario claims as the worst area in America.
Memphis really is a hell hole, that guy isn't joking. The homicide rate is comparable between Memphis and Mott Haven. Both had about 18 murders per 100,000 people, except Memphis is much larger than Mott Haven. Specific neighborhoods in Memphis are probably a lot worse. There were 117 murders last year in Memphis.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:04 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,942 times
I guess I am snooty lol because I came from the Midwest. Whoever wrote that can straight up shove it up his rect*m. Enough with the generalizations already. The only people who make such sweeping assumptions are idiots, plain and simple.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:26 PM

31 posts, read 68,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I guess I am snooty lol because I came from the Midwest. Whoever wrote that can straight up shove it up his rect*m. Enough with the generalizations already. The only people who make such sweeping assumptions are idiots, plain and simple.
Says the girl who is prostituting herself in one thread on here, and then weeks later is demonizing the working poor in another thread.

HA!

Old 10-18-2013, 11:19 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,556,641 times
You serious? What is this garbage?

Couldn't even get passed 1st page. They are pretentious because usually during tough times, they are the first ones to go.

If it comes across as pretentious then they need to work on their networking skills. You did it too when you were young, now it's like all the baby boomers do is frown upon everything generation y says or does.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:44 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Says the girl who is prostituting herself in one thread on here, and then weeks later is demonizing the working poor in another thread.

HA!
Served! LOL

Old 10-19-2013, 01:47 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
He has a good point and you rip him apart because you're EXACTLY the kind of person his dad is when it comes to pretentious professional titles.

Don't agree? Look at your screen name. You felt it was oh-so important to let everyone know you're a writer, as if people on city-data care. Your post are also full of pretentious "look how well educated I am" snobbery.
So apparently you do care, since it effects you emotionally and since you bothered to respond. Is it low self esteem? Envy? Misery?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City