Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2013, 04:41 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Assuming that he is black he is still a racist. He just hates himself because is black. No other reason. Just like Uncle Ruckus.
Surely YOU understand that people should be free to adopt any viewpoint ...? I would have thought.

We know a dozen serious political conservatives who happen to be black. A few are actual friends, we just don't talk about politics (much). One is a relative but what can we do. In any case, I would never suggest that they "should not" be conservatives because they are black, much as I would argue passionately against their political viewpoints as such.

I know as well a landlord with ambitions who is completely unsympathetic, shall we say, to the plight of people - of any race. As I said, he has ambitions and will probably become as notorious as any of the most cut-throat developers. I have argued at him, loudly and often, but I never suggested that as a person whose skin color would identify him as "black" he should adopt another stance.

In fact, this is a central aspect of the problem. I see such imperatives quite often here.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:34 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
Quote:
And why do you have this narrative in your head that most people are very racist
like you; and only want to help out their own "race"? And black people are MUCH
MUCH MUCH more welcoming of other "people" in their communities. For example:
look how easily groups such as hispanics generally integrate and move into black
areas. No "black flights", no crossburnings, no firebombings, no lynchings, no
rapidly pulling kids out of schools, etc.
This certainly isn't the case in Compton, California. As Hispanics moved into the area, they were treated with enormous resentment and disrespect by black residents. Now the shoe is on the other foot, with a Hispanic majority. Blacks moving back into the area have been subject to the exact same displays of aggression that you say don't exist, including bricks through windows, fires, etc.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:37 PM

61 posts, read 71,316 times
get lost crackers stop gentrifying and raising out rent

Old 10-24-2013, 08:40 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushidoBrown187 View Post
Didn't you just start another thread stating your from Rhode Island? What say do you have then?

Old 10-24-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
And why do you have this narrative in your head that most people are very racist like you; and only want to help out their own "race"? And black people are MUCH MUCH MUCH more welcoming of other "people" in their communities. For example: look how easily groups such as hispanics generally integrate and move into black areas. No "black flights", no crossburnings, no firebombings, no lynchings, no rapidly pulling kids out of schools, etc.
Not necessarily true at all. There have been many many incidents in Harlem.
Guess why. Because black people are just like anyone else ! That's right. They tend to behave in ways consistent with social background and training.
Moreover, around here, between blacks and hispanics, there is a lot of resentment - that is to say, between members of certain social groups. The more educated people, for the most part, could care less about ethnic background. Broadly speaking. There are always random crazies, lest we imagine that education means - no racists leanings. Unfortunately, it does not always mean that.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushidoBrown187 View Post
Yesterday, I passed a teenager ranting precisely this to a middle-aged white guy - lower Convent.
I had met the guy at a community meeting a few times, very nice guy, he told me that he asked the child and his girlfriend (for the 100th time) to stop loitering on his steps - a co-op building. They leave lots of litter and smoke marijuana.

I remember he said he has lived there for 25 years.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:59 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Yes if hilltopjay is black he clearly hates himself, just like Uncle Ruckus. Being black is enough...no more info needed.
I've noticed on a number of threads that black Americans often complain that they are not treated as individuals, but instead, as one monolithic group that thinks and acts alike. Yet when a black man such as hilltopjay completely defies the lockstep thinking that those black Americans deny, he (and others like him) get attacked as traitors, just like caribny did in this post, comparing him to Uncle Ruckus.
Why is his point of view any less valid than yours?

Old 10-24-2013, 09:03 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I've noticed on a number of threads that black Americans often complain that they are not treated as individuals, but instead, as one monolithic group that thinks and acts alike. Yet when a black man such as hilltopjay completely defies the lockstep thinking that those black Americans deny, he (and others like him) get attacked as traitors, just like caribny did in this post, comparing him to Uncle Ruckus.
Because he can't express his point of view without spreading hate and clumping people into one group.

He himself doesn't treat blacks as individuals. To him, if one black does something wrong, they all do it.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:12 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Thank you sir.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:13 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
Because he can't express his point of view without spreading hate and clumping people into one group.

He himself doesn't treat blacks as individuals. To him, if one black does something wrong, they all do it.
How wrong you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City