Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 12:31 PM

575 posts, read 672,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I wasn't talking to you.
Let me ask you this? Are you Al Sharpton, posing as a woman?

And, I am talking to you.

Are we not allowed to comment on the posts of others? I didn't think this was for private conversations that everyone else can read but have clam up, rather than post a reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 12:33 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
42 americans are on food stamps?
LOL! You know what I mean.

Please don't make me a google search, I don't feel like it.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:34 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
At one point should people consider not having children if they know they can't support them?

I'm all for helping people who go through hard times. But for creating a permanent underclass that needs government support on everything for their entire lives? No.
I Couldn't have said it any better.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalKaos View Post
Let me ask you this? Are you Al Sharpton, posing as a woman?

And, I am talking to you.

Are we not allowed to comment on the posts of others? I didn't think this was for private conversations that everyone else can read but have clam up, rather than post a reply.
Yes, but my post was to Bill not you, so your response on "race baiting/card" is irrelevant to me.

I get it, you hate social aka "entitlement" programs. Fine.

Now is there anything else?

Old 10-21-2013, 01:27 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
There aren't that many jobs and without SNAP or some type of aid, you can and will create civil unrest of some sort. This country is regressing in many ways, especially the backwards southern states, along with Texas and Arizona that are creating laws to send their states back to the mid to late 1800s.

Roosevelt created the New Deal, because he knew if people didn't get help there was going to be a serious problem.
Hmm, the South is not backwards. Unlike NYC, which was taken over by poverty pimps, the South has good paying private sector jobs. The South has auto manufacturing, aerospace engineering (Boeing and Airbus) among other things. Texas's state population has outgrown NY. Texas has major oil companies headquartered there, AT&T is based there, Dell is based there, Moto X phones are assembled in Texas,etc.

NYC has lost most middle and upper middle class jobs, thanks to endless and excessive regulations and taxes and an over the top welfare state. And by hoarding lots of poor people from around the world, and relying on the feds to pay the rent via section 8. And now its time to pay the Piper.

Just maybe if some people hadn't gotten so dependent on the government, they might not have had kids they couldn't afford. At some time the madness must STOP!

Old 10-21-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Hmm, the South is not backwards.
Yes, it is.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:07 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
How far south have you been? Seaside Heights?

Old 10-21-2013, 02:10 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,281,464 times
Quote:
Hmm, the South is not backwards. Unlike NYC, which was taken over by poverty pimps, the South has good paying private sector jobs. The South has auto manufacturing, aerospace engineering (Boeing and Airbus) among other things. Texas's state population has outgrown NY. Texas has major oil companies headquartered there, AT&T is based there, Dell is based there, Moto X phones are assembled in Texas,etc.

NYC has lost most middle and upper middle class jobs, thanks to endless and excessive regulations and taxes and an over the top welfare state. And by hoarding lots of poor people from around the world, and relying on the feds to pay the rent via section 8. And now its time to pay the Piper.

Just maybe if some people hadn't gotten so dependent on the government, they might not have had kids they couldn't afford. At some time the madness must STOP!
I quoted your whole statement because there are facts and justifiable logic there but, that is not the totality of the South. I've had the "unique pleasure" of living there for 4 years. It IS backwards.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
I quoted your whole statement because there are facts and justifiable logic there but, that is not the totality of the South. I've had the "unique pleasure" of living there for 4 years. It IS backwards.
And the decayed ghettos of much of Brooklyn (big parts of Brooklyn have not gentrified) and the Bronx, with illiterates who can barely speak English is the epitome of progress? Lifelong welfare dependency is progress?

Please tell me how progressive NYC really is.

Bloomberg's idea of dealing with welfare was to price out everyone not fantastically wealthy from the core of the city. Of course, this made these areas unviable places for working class and middle class people to live in long term. Please tell me how this is progress.

Don't get me wrong, I do think welfare services needed to be but, but Bloomberg encouraged the destruction of tenement housing and replaced it with condos. Please tell me how this makes NYC more progressive than the South. In some ways, it makes New Yorkers who claim to be liberal even more full of **** than anyone anywhere else.

You might add the huge homeless population in NYC (growing). It would be a lot bigger, but a lot of people just leave town.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is.
Giving out big sums of welfare to people all around the country and world, plus having the most housing projects of any city is progress?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City